Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 770
Message 11 of 92

Re: Fast Battery Drain and Phone Freezes Up

@ChrisHohnholz wrote:

I'm having a quick battery drain issue as well.  There is no physical damage to the phone and it was working well prior to the Oreo update.  Now my battery is draining amazingly fast.  I can watch it drops 5%-10% in just a few minutes while perusing social media.  The only thing keeping it functional is an external battery pack.  I've run it in safe mode, but it still does it.  I did a factory reset and a full recharge, but nothing changed.  What is the deal? Why is Motorola not acknowledging or fixing this?

The main issue is Google's Android 8.0; not anything specific to Moto phones.

Before & after the factory reset did you test with NO play store apps installed and NO changes to the phone?  

In many cases people do a factory reset but then let Android / Google backup all their apps, data and settings.  Sometimes this just re-installs the problem. 

~Scott
ChrisHohnholz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 766
Message 12 of 92

I didn't restore it back to original, I set it up as a new phone and then installed the necessary apps.

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 767
Message 13 of 92

It's possible that one of the apps (or more than one) is causing the drain.  My Z Force battery life was not good on 8.0 either.  For every app I uninstalled another just jumped up to the top battery user.  The only way to really know for sure what is going on is factory reset and don't install anything and don't mess with settings for a day or so and see how it runs like that.  Then if all is good start installing apps and personalize the phone.  It's a pain, but the only real way to know what is truly causing the battery drain.

~Scott
ChrisHohnholz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 764
Message 14 of 92

So, in other words, it is actually 8.0 causing the problem. What good is an OS that causes you to delete apps to keep it from sucking battery life?  The apps were fine under the previous OS.  So again, it is Motorola who has failed to provide a decent operating system.  And we get stuck with the problem while Motorola does nothing but give the same tired troubleshooting tips.

NerdMom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 746
Message 15 of 92

Done! (I just meant I updated my profile.)

ChrisHohnholz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 729
Message 16 of 92

I'm likewise done. Finally had to call tech support. They verified my troubleshooting steps, determined it was the new OS, and said the only other option now was to replace the phone.  Conveniently for Motorola, I'm now out of warranty, so they want me to pay for a replacement phone despite the fact it was their update that has wrecked my current phone.  No way.  I'm done, I'm out.  Will never purchase another Moto product again.

NerdMom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 718
Message 17 of 92

Ugh. I can't replace my phone right now. This is the first phone I coughed up the money for. I am not even done with the Verizon payments. I loved Moto phones. I hope they don't screw me like that.

ChrisHohnholz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 716
Message 18 of 92

Still making my payments as well.  Sadly, even Verizon will do nothing.  Their idea was to offer to have me buy an upgrade off of one of the other lines on my account.  So, I get the joy of paying of paying for TWO phones just to have one properly functioning phone.  What is truly aggravating in all this is Verizon blames Motorola.  Motorola ducks and hands it to Android.  In the meantime, we all are dealing with phones that are not functioning as they are supposed to.  Nobody does anything to fix it and we get the shaft.  This is the kind of thing that starts class action suits.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 690
Message 19 of 92

Hi ChrisHohnholz,

Thanks for posting. I appreciate the steps you've tried. I wouldn't say that the update is causing this issue. There are other factors we need to consider. The factory data reset and setting-up the phone as new is a good thing to do isolate the issue. I would suggest observing the phone for at least 24-48 hours without any third-party apps installed from the phone. Remove SD card if you have one. It is important that the device is in its factory default settings for us to have a more accurate observation.

Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Highlighted
ChrisHohnholz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 689
Message 20 of 92

No desire to be disrespectful, but apparently you are not reading what I'm typing.  I've already gone through all this with the support on the phone.  None of it works and even the rep stated it was the update causing the issue.  The problem is, you guys are working off a script and keep giving the same troubleshooting steps.  I'm simply done being treated like an irritant that will go away if you guys keep applying the same exact verbiage.  Motorola rolled out, in conjunction with Android and Verizon, a mandatory, but bad, OS is that causing Moto Z batteries to drop like flies.  We are not allowed to reject the update, it will eventually be force updated if we try to stall it.  Therefore, the problem comes from all of you, not the consumer.  Rather than take ownership, you all point the finger at each other and all keep giving the same useless tips/steps to fix it.  And when that no longer works, you offer to replace the phone at a price.  Put simply, this is all you all's fault, but the customer gets the shaft.  If I walked up, grabbed your phone and crushed it, then when told I was responsible for replacing it, offered to sell you a replacement, you would rightly take me to Court.  Yet, all these companies can reject any accountability and do nothing to make it right with the consumer.  Please, stop telling me to do the steps that have already been done, quit citing the same tired script, and actually do something wherein you guys admit fault and fix the issue.  That would actually be refreshing.

Top Kudoed Authors