Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 313
Message 51 of 92

Re: Fast Battery Drain and Phone Freezes Up

@Aim337 wrote:

@LMW1 wrote:

Ok, so I've updated my info (you acknowledged this in another message), but you still have not offered a real solution to this problem!
Please provide real assistance with real fixes for my phone! I'm fed up with having to have several portable chargers with me so I can have one attached to my phone at all times to keep my phone from shutting off more times than I can count every single day!
I did not have these problems prior to the dumbest update ever and should not have them now! These problems were caused by the update and someone needs to come up with a real solution!!
My daughter bought me this phone and is still paying on it and I can't afford to get another one and I should not have to pay any money out of pocket to replace it...that includes not paying the stupid insurance replacement cost of any amount!! I did not cause this problem, my phone did not cause this problem... Motorola, Lenova, Verizon and the developer of the Oreo operating system caused this problem and one or all of you needs to put your big boy or girl panties on and man up to your responsibility for this fiasco and fix the problem or provide everyone of us who are complaining of the exact same problem with a brand new phone...and I don't mean a refurbished phone, I mean a new phone. And one of our choosing, whether that be a new Motorola Z Force Droid or another phone of our choosing. It's time for big brand companies to feel the same bite we feel when this crap happens to us! If it was happening to you, you would be just as angry and irritated as we are, put yourselves in our shoes and see how you feel!! Trust me, you'd be pissed off too!

Thx Lynn

I don't think there is much assistance they can offer.  Except tell you which app is crashing your phone as of the time they view your check-in data.  And then suggest you uninstall it.  Then another app will just take it's place as the problem, and again, and again, and again.  Oreo 8.0 is the problem.  I understand that a Moto employee cannot say that, they can't say that any version of Android is just plain bad.  But we can, and Oreo 8.0 is bad.  That's why Google pushed out an 8.1 update.  Our phones should have remained on 7.1.1, they were running fine.  All these problems started as soon as we received 8.0.  All we can really do is backup personal data and factory reset the phoen and hope it runs good for a while.  Then repeat that process until it's time to get a new phone.

First, I don't work for Motorola. I volunteer here. But from what I've seen this is definitely not a 8.0 issue. I have 8.0 on 4 phones without any issues. A Z Force Droid,  Z2 Force, LG V30, Samsung S8+. So if it was the OS I'm sure I'd be having the same issue stated here. My belief is that this is a hardware issue. My Z Force Droid is fine so far. But it could change. I really don't like phones without a removable battery but there are almost done with this feature anymore sadly. So if the battery goes it now needs repair instead of a simple swap of a battery. I will say there are many here with the same issue and I can't say if Motorola will do anything more than warranty repair, paid repairs or replace with a refurbished unit. By the way 8.1 is more of a Bluetooth fix for certain older device compatibility with of course other tweaks. Im highly doubtful any of my phones will see 8.1 though. Wish I had a fix for this but I don't except repair. Believe me, I understand your anger. I'd be upset as well. 

LMW1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 309
Message 52 of 92

This is continued from my original posting about phone shutting off, fast battery drain after Oreo update that a tech replied to. He was no help for either or any of my issues for that matter, as expected!
They are no help to anyone really. Just pass on mumbo jumbo, don't try and really resolve anything!
They're paid to b.s us not really help! And the ones in charge only care about the money they can make forcing us to buy new phones cuz they messed our perfectly good ones up!

Time to shut them down! The whole world needs to disconnect from the web and stop using cell phones, PERIOD! Wouldn't that be a kick in their groin!!! I would love to see their collective faces when all of a sudden they have no more income coming in from us and they go broke!!

But of course that will never happen and that's why they created all of these things...to distract us while they take over the world and legally rob us blind while we all have our faces in our phones and computers!!
Highlighted
Aim337
Fanfold Paper
Views: 309
Message 53 of 92

It is always possible that a hardware failure is part of the problems being decribed.  But that doesn't explain all of the Z Force Droid posts in the past 2 months with numerous issues, and all started after the 8.0 update.  Maybe 8.0 isn't bad as a whole, I might be wrong there.  My husband has a Z2 Force with 8.0 and it runs pretty good, it was loaded with that when he bought it.  But his Z Force Droid is a different story.  It was fine on a Friday, running great and lasting all day.  He upgraded to 8.0 on a Saturday and ever since he had to charge his phone numerous times a day.  Every time he uninstalled whatever app was the highest battery user another would just jump in it's polace and kill the battery very fast.  If that was bad hardware, why was it fine on a Friday and horrible on Saturday following the 8.0 update, and every day thereafter?  I don't mean to be argumentative, but there seems to be something wrong with the Z Force 8.0 update, something more than just a lot of hardware failing at the same time.

ChrisHohnholz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 296
Message 54 of 92

Agreed. It simply makes no sense to claim every single person reporting nearly identical problems immediately following the 8.0 update is simultaneously having hardware issues.  Clearly, the older Moto Z models were not designed with 8.0 in mind and the hardware is being affected by the OS.  Unfortunately, it is far easier to claim it's a device problem because that means we have to bear the responsibility to get it fixed or replaced.  That means we pay for it rather than Motorola having to take time and money to fix what they broke.

Ajbrown
Paper Tape
Views: 284
Message 55 of 92

My battery is draining really fast all of a sudden also.  How can I tell if mymoto z force has this upgrade?

Ajbrown
Paper Tape
Views: 282
Message 56 of 92

Just found it and yes it was upgraded to the 8.0 at the end of July which is exactly when this issue of fast battery drainge started!  Now what?  

mrmagloo
SCSI Port
Views: 280
Message 57 of 92

Imho, usually the first OS upgrade tends to go pretty smoothly.  It's that second OS upgrade, that on a nearly or over 2 year old phone where you start seeing alot of issues.  I loved my DT2, and that last Nougat upgrade just broke the camels back. I have no doubt that some of the issues were simply old hardware that just wasn't up to the task of the newer OS.  Luckily, I had that refresh to fall back on, and got the Z Force on Nougat as a replacement.

At first I was upset at not getting another DT2 replacement, as the ZF had no wireless charging, ear phone jack, smaller battery, etc, etc, but once I got an Incipio Wireless Battery Pack and realized I never used the ear phone jack, I never looked back.  Luckily, my upgrade to Oreo was smooth, but I'm **removed** glad the Z Force is NOT getting any more OS upgrades.  It's running smooth, no issues whatsover, and I'm getting 3-4 days battery life on average.  I can run this phone now until it literally dies.

All I can recommend after being at wits end after the Nougat update on the DT2 is, FOLLOW the support instructions here.  Do everything the Moderators say, and report back promptly. Trust me, they get no bonuses or pats on the back, but are truly trying to help.  If they suggest running a while in Safe Mode, DO IT, and report back.  If they suggest a full reset, DO IT, but do a full back up first.  It's really not that bad anymore.  Calibrate the battery, etc, as well.  However, across the board, realize that you will should not expect long battery life on a 2 year old phone.  Its totally normal to loose a significant portion of the life by then.

Edited: due to site rules violation -preferred language - Rich

ChrisHohnholz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 275
Message 58 of 92

Unfortunately, many of us have done exactly what was recommended and it accomplished nothing.  And while I understand that the older the phone becomes, the battery life lessens, these issues came up immediately after the 8.0 update.  The dramatic drain was not present before 8.0.  

NerdMom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 288
Message 59 of 92

Just because you have the same type of Motorola it doesn't mean that it isn't the OS. Rapid charge batteries are at an increased rate of fry up. Only a portion of models of whatever type of phone is affected by Android upgrades.

mrmagloo
SCSI Port
Views: 267
Message 60 of 92

Chris,

How long does your phone normally last now?  Say you get up at 7:00am, by the end of the day, where are you at on the main battery.  NOTE, if you are using a Battery Pack Mod, it's important to remove it to isolate the issue.

I'm now at 9h26m, moderate usage, and I have 86% left on main and 100% on BP.

Assuming you are over say 40% by evening, take a screen shot of App usage at the bottom of the Battery app.

Let's see what's eating the battery up. 

Then tomorrow, put it into safe mode and try it again.

Ultimately, I've read the entire thread, but I have yet to see you post exactly what you have running that could be causing the problem here.  All I'm saying is, the Z Force is fully capable of running Oreo perfectly, if the software and apps are installed correctly, nothing has gone rouge, and the battery is in good shape.  I have no incentive to BS you.  Take the time to follow the troubleshooting tips and maybe you'll get lucky.

Top Kudoed Authors