Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Force
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

03-26-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 31 of 38

Re: Issues since Feb/March 2018 security patch

2018-03-26, 16:25 PM

I am also having this problem. Had anyone contacted you yet?

Options

2 Posts

11-19-2016

United States of America

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 32 of 38

2018-03-27, 7:17 AM

I'm having the exact same issues!!! It's crazy. It will sometimes not respond at all. This morning the alarm was going off but it wouldn't respond to any input. I had to power down the phone. How do you roll back an update?

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2720 Signins

25620 Page Views

• Views: 25620
  • Message 33 of 38

2018-03-27, 13:33 PM

There is no way to roll-back an update, or a version.  These are the basic troubleshooting steps recommended here for years, and many of us use when facing issues with our phones.

1.) Clear the system cache and reboot.  No personal data is removed or deleted, just temporary files.  Instructions are here:

https://motorola-global-ortal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/112125/p/30,6720,9833

2.) Run in Safe Mode and observe for the same issue / abnormal behavior.  Safe Mode is a diagnostic tool and Play Store apps that you downloaded and installed do not run (for the most part).  It can help determine if issues are being caused by apps installed from the Play Store.  If the issue is not present in Safe Mode then it’s time to determine which app is causing the issue and uninstall.  Sometimes just a simple uninstall > re-install helps, and sometimes just a simple uninstall app updates > re-install most current app updates helps.  You may have to log back into some apps after running in Safe Mode and booting back into normal mode, but no user data is deleted or removed.  Instructions are here:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205241/

3.) When all else fails, backup all personal data (music, files, pictures, etc.) to a safe location off the phone’s internal storage, turn off the Settings > Backup & Restore > Backup My Data option, and factory reset (FDR) the phone.  This does remove all personal data & apps and restores the phone to the original factory settings and original factory loaded apps.  Observe the phone with NO Play Store apps loaded, none whatsoever.  In many cases people factory wipe their phone and let Android / Google automatically re-install the same apps and same settings and the issue returns right back onto their phone.  If the issue is not resolved, it may be hardware related and time for a replacement phone.  If the issue is resolved with a FDR, slowly start adding back Play Store apps and observe for abnormal behavior.

~Scott
Options

97 Posts

07-08-2012

United States of America

135 Signins

1571 Page Views

• Views: 1571
  • Message 34 of 38

2018-03-27, 14:54 PM

I may have found my issue over the weekend.  I waited an entire day before posting this to be sure the issues don't re occur.  

On Sunday night Uninstalled the following apps, and Re-enabled 1 Verizon app.  Since then the phone has been perfect. Battery drain is now back to 28 - 36 hour drain depending on use and all wonky response had gone away.

My next step will be to reinstall each of these apps, 1 at a time to see if I get the phone to act up again.  Then I can be sure which app is the offender.

Zippongo
Yi camera
102.9 the Hog
Touch Tunes
The Chive
Stub Hub
Snip It
Pinterest
OneTouch

Enabled
VZ Navigator

I'd be interested to hear from others having problems if any of them have any of these apps on their phone.
Options

98 Posts

05-26-2010

United States of America

171 Signins

2060 Page Views

• Views: 2060
  • Message 35 of 38

2018-03-29, 12:50 PM

I've had multiple cases where the phone just locks up solid on me.  I can be reading something in Twitter, or Facebook, or as happened the other day the phone was just on its charging stand overnight and was unresponsive in the morning.  I had to LONG press the power button to reboot.

I've also had the Verison Message+ app crash multiple times (3 or 4 times) since the upgrade and I wasn't even using it at the time.  I would be in other apps and suddenly get a popup that Message+ stopped working.  I never had that happen before the first patch this year.

I also had the problem reported about the fingerprint scanner suddenly not accepting inputs and needing the pattern unlock first as if from a reboot, but the phone hadn't been restarted.

I have also cleared the cache parttion after upgrades and had these problems recur.

Options

97 Posts

07-08-2012

United States of America

135 Signins

1571 Page Views

• Views: 1571
  • Message 36 of 38

2018-03-29, 13:57 PM
Try booting in safe mode. If the problem does not persist in safe mode, then this is almost certainly related to an app or apps that do not work well with the latest security upgrades. Are you having battery drain issues too?

This is what worked for me: Start uninstalling apps about 5-10 at a time. Start with the most obscure and least used apps. allow the phone to run for several hours to half a day. It may take a day or two to find the offending app. Check the battery drain to see if you have reduced battery drain compared to before the app removal (flatter line). Once I found the app that was the source of my battery drain issue, my phone functionality returned to normal. If battery drain isn't a problem, then you will need to just use the phone as normal after the app removal and see if things improve.

I uninstall apps from the phone settings >apps section, first going in to the storage section and clearing the app cache, then clear data, then back out one step to uninstall the app. This may seem excessive to some, but its the only way I know to be sure that all app data is removed before uninstalling the app.
Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2720 Signins

25620 Page Views

• Views: 25620
  • Message 37 of 38

2018-03-29, 14:01 PM

^^^ Excellent advice. ?

~Scott
Options

7 Posts

02-27-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

122 Page Views

• Views: 122
  • Message 38 of 38

2018-06-21, 18:52 PM

Okay, just did system update today June 21. Now the "Bluetooth has stopped" message won't go away. It has an "X" and "Close App" below it. I am in Safe Mode. Help! 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms