08-11-2010

US

453 Signins

8155 Page Views

• Views: 8155
  • Message 51 of 74

Re: Moto Command Center Widget Missing from Oreo Update

2018-07-10, 16:52 PM

@TwoBuells1  I just did a test and disabled my ADW launcher a used the stock Launcher 3. I can see the widget but it crops the top, bottom and sides and you can not center the widget. I think thats why they did not include that app with Oreo .

Please read my post a week or so ago earlier in this thread.  While there are some formatting issues on Launcher 3, it is quite usable if you adjust the Display Size to Large.  This still crops off a tiny bit of the left and right circles, but it looks perfectly fine, and the Battery and Temps both are clearly displayed.

Until Lenova recognizes the HUGE oversight here and takes responsibility, which essentially disenfranches the entire concept of Moto Mods - Especially those Battery related, and agrees to update and make compatable the mission critical Comand Center, I guess this is the best we have to make due in the interim. Kind of sucks we have to find our own bandaids for these glaring failures and the feedback we get is, it's all in the name of progress.  What a crock.

Perhaps they are tipping their hat to the fact that the Moto Mods 3 year experiment is almost over and it's jut not worth the time to update an app that's soon going to be irrelevant.  Either way, without internal wireless charging, and the ever shrinking battery, without the Moto Battery Mods, I have no use for Lenova anymore, so we will see how this all plays out in the next 12 months.

Options

2 Posts

07-07-2018

US

9 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 52 of 74

2018-07-10, 17:47 PM

Ok, well if you are going to word it that way, yes, I do have an issue with the "upgrade". It seems to be incomplete. It is not "different" so much as it is "missing functionality". As others have stated, we NEED the battery to be displayed at a quick glance, both of the phone and the mod. For example, I use my Moto Force Droid like a shop radio with the JBL Moto mod... For like 8 hours at a time. I need to be able to check battery levels throughout the day to make sure I will still have enough to return calls on the way home from the shop. Because I am in the shop with the phone on a stand, and my hands are usually dirty and covered in chemicals, I cannot always manipulate menus to "search" for battery life. The command center widget gave me battery percentages at a glance. Because of this deficiency in the replacement widget, I can no longer use my phone in the manner I have become accustomed to. 

Please pass along my dissatisfaction to any and all parties that are responsible and able to help. I would greatly appreciate this functionality to be restored so that I can resume using my phone as I have in the past.

Thank you,

James

Also, before you ask why I do not just buy a shop radio, I am mobile. I work from multiple shops, so my music must be portable and battery operated. I bought the Moto Force Droid SPECIFICALLY to address this and other battery needs. It mutes itself when I receive a call... I mean it is otherwise a perfect solution to my needs.

Options

3 Posts

07-10-2018

US

5 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 53 of 74

2018-07-10, 23:27 PM
Yes, but as has been pointed out, just because you can work around it doesn't mean it isn't a downgrade. I used to love the app called "Circles" but it went away when I dropped Verizon. I survived, obviously. When I bought my Z-Play, and Command Center came along with it, I was very happy, particularly with the easy battery % viewing on the mods. You can't tell me that having an easy to view mod battery status is impossible with today's sophisticated software engineering! Or that it poses some sort of security risk. Or that this is somehow the "price of progress." I'm not buying it. Yes ,I can live without a removable battery, as long as I have the Z-mod battery to help me out. And yes, I will survive with a less convenient way of checking my Moto mod battery. Back in the day these sort of functions were called user-friendliness. I don't know what you call them today but it's nice to be able to have information at a glance instead of having to dig for it.
Thanks for listening, Eric
Options

3 Posts

07-10-2018

US

5 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 54 of 74

2018-07-10, 23:39 PM
This was in response to Scott about 25 posts earlier. Sorry I don't use the forum much and thought it would appear in reply to that post. I think you get the point that I'm with 2 Buells1, and not drinking the Lenovo/Moto "Kool-Aid" on this one.
Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Views: 25605
  • Message 55 of 74

2018-07-10, 23:45 PM

And just to confirm a few things....I never said that we should be happy with the new Launcher and the loss of Command Center.  I am not happy about losing all the cool things that Command Center provided for us.  I expressed my disappointment on Day 1 of this Oreo 8.0 update with the loss of Command Center (in a different thread than this one).  I would love to see a system version update that brings back a fully functional Command Center widget; without the need to use an APK and a different launcher.  I doubt it will ever happen, but certainly would like that.  My previous comments about the updated Launcher were only to indicate that for a few years during OS updates Moto owners were livid when our phones received a new Android version and we did not receive the new launcher that the newer models had.  It was ugly at times, with a lot of heated comments.  Moto users told Moto that they expected the new launcher that the newer models had when they received a new Android version.  So here we are now....Moto listened and gave us the Z2 - Launcher 3, which never had Command Center, it always had Time & Weather.  They probably didn't expect all of this uproar over Command Center and gave us the new launcher because that's what we, the Moto owners, have asked for over the past few OS updates.   As long as this doesn't turn into a "I'm gonna sue them..." or "my lawers are now involved because my phone changed..." kind of discussion anything is possible, maybe the engineering team will hear our requests and work on an update.  I doubt it with the Z3 release, but it's not impossible.

~Scott
Options

10984 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1136 Signins

154175 Page Views

• Views: 154175
  • Message 56 of 74

2018-07-11, 19:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

I understand your queries. The battery percentage level of the mod can be seen at the bottom to tell you the amount of battery that the mod has, other than that you need to go to Battery under settings in order to see it. Thank you.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

119 Posts

08-17-2010

US

7 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 57 of 74

2018-07-11, 19:14 PM

wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I understand your queries. The battery percentage level of the mod can be seen at the bottom to tell you the amount of battery that the mod has, other than that you need to go to Battery under settings in order to see it. Thank you.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

At the bottom of what?  Not the Time & Weather widget.

Options

3 Posts

07-10-2018

US

5 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 58 of 74

2018-07-11, 23:46 PM

I agree, it's not at the bottom of the Time and Weather Widget.

Right now, as far as I can see, I have 3 choices:

First:

1) Swipe down to see notifications

2) Scroll to the bottom of all the notifications (a long list for me usually) --> is this what he meant by "at the bottom?"

3) Scan for what it says on the second-to-last notification

currently it says: Moto Mods Manager - Moto Mod battery empty 0%

Sort of a long process, don't you think, compared to seeing it at a glance in the notifications bar as with the main battery?

Second option:

1) Swipe down to see notifications

2) Long press the battery icon with a + in it, which brings up the battery saver info

3) This has graphical icon displays and large percentage symbols for both main and mod batteries.

This is my preferred option so far.

Thirdly:

1) Swipe down to see notifications

2) Hit the down "caret" to open settings

3) Swipe to the left for page 2 of settings.

4) Read the Moto Mod % under the battery icon.

This is the most cumbersome.

If there was a way to put the mod battery display in the notifications bar, maybe in a different color or something, I would be happy with that.

Anyone know of a widget that does that?

BTW - even with the "dumbing down" of this feature, I still love the phone.

Emotionally, it's hard to give up a convenience. If I had to relinquish my modern coffee maker and go back to a percolator, I'd get by, but I would not be happy putting forth the extra effort.

Thanks,

Eric

Options

15 Posts

06-23-2018

US

69 Signins

824 Page Views

• Views: 824
  • Message 59 of 74

2018-07-12, 1:13 AM

here is a work around without using the widget I have listed in this thread.

this works with my launcher, ADW

Its called a custom short cut

this custom short cut is a icon on my screen and what I asked it to do is to go to settings and then battery. it will display the battery screen in settings.

If you goto settings, then battery you get a large screen with both battery %

OK I just did it with the stock launcher

go to widgets

choose settings

then it will ask what setting you would like displayed and I choose battery

this will add a icon to your screen that in one press bring you to the battery screen, displaying both batteries.

then press back to get back to what you were doing.

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Views: 25605
  • Message 60 of 74

2018-07-12, 1:25 AM

wrote:

here is a work around without using the widget I have listed in this thread.

this works with my launcher, ADW

Its called a custom short cut

this custom short cut is a icon on my screen and what I asked it to do is to go to settings and then battery. it will display the battery screen in settings.

If you goto settings, then battery you get a large screen with both battery %

OK I just did it with the stock launcher

go to widgets

choose settings

then it will ask what setting you would like displayed and I choose battery

this will add a icon to your screen that in one press bring you to the battery screen, displaying both batteries.

then press back to get back to what you were doing.

That's exactly what I did as soon as we upgraded to Oreo.  I should have posted that sooner.  The stock launcher allows you to create widgets to many system Settings.  It's still not as nice as Command Center but does offer a one click option to see both batteries at once.

~Scott
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete