10-10-2017

US

26 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 1 of 4

Moto Voice & "Can't Reach Google at the Moment"

2017-10-26, 1:06 AM

This issue is discussed in a Moto X forum, but this happens on my Moto Z Force (running 7.1.1.). I was an original Moto X owner and switched back to a Moto after trying a Galaxy Note 5 beause I really liked the Moto Voice always listening functionality. It seemed to be better than all the other voice-activated assistants (OK Google on non-Moto phones, Siri, Samsung Voice, etc.) so I was happy to switch back to Moto. In the last few weeks, however, Moto Voice worked for simple things like "what's the weather," but not when there was any voice interaction because I got the "Can't reach Google at the moment" screen, which would stop the voice back-and-forth.

For example, if I wanted to text Joe that I'm on my way, I would speak, "OK Google, text Joe, I'm on my way." Then a screen would pop up showing Joe's contact info and the draft message: "I'm on my way." Moto Voice would speak, "Got it. Want to send this?" I said yes and the text fired off without me ever having to touch or look at the screen.

Recently, however, I get the same screens and voice response, but it's interrupted by the "Can't reach Google at the moment" screen with a microphone at the top right. The previous screen (Joe's contact info and the draft text) is partly visible at the bottom and I can tap on it to return to the draft text, then tap the send button (blue paper airplane), but it's really inconvenient if the whole point is to be hands free. It seems the error screen is triggered when Moto Voice asks me the follow up question ("Want to send this?") and/or when it starts to listen for my response.

I spent a while on the phone with a tier 2 Moto support person who had me: 1) reset all app permissions (have to re-allow permissions on all apps now), 2) clear the Google app cache, and 3) disable all under Google app/Settings/Voice. These didn't work, but when I uninstalled the Google app updates (Settings/Google/3 dots/Uninstall updates), the texting by Moto Voice worked again. Alas, later that night the issue recurred. Some Google app voice settings seem to have been turned back on (not by me), so I turned them all off again, disabled the update again, restarted, and it Moto Voice let me text by voice only again. I believe it happened when I tried setting up Google Assistant again.

Moto/Lenovo needs to work with Google to get this worked out. I can't go through all those steps over and over again. It's too bad because Moto's features led me to buy a Moto phone over all the competitors. Now it seems I need to choose between Google Assistant and Moto Voice. I'm going without GA for now, but that seems to be a pretty big functionality to give up and many users like me may decide not to stick with Moto phones if the Moto Voice function doesn't work with GA.

Options

3736 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2717 Signins

25595 Page Views

• Views: 25595
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Moto Voice & "Can't Reach Google at the Moment"

2017-10-26, 1:11 AM

This issue is being discussed in three different Moto Z threads also.  Here is the one for the Z Force.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-Force/moto-Z-moto-voice-not-working/m-p/3848239#M6680

It's a Google App issue and there is a long thread on the Google Search / Google Assistant support site also.  There is a Google App Beta version that resolves the issue but it appears that it has not yet been pushed to the Play Store.

~Scott
Options

12 Posts

10-10-2017

US

26 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-10-26, 1:12 AM

Thanks! I'll check out the other threads.

Options

3736 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2717 Signins

25595 Page Views

• Views: 25595
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-10-26, 1:23 AM

wrote:

Thanks! I'll check out the other threads.

Not a problem.  I think that thread I linked contains a link to the official Google Support site for Assistant / Google Search where we are discussing it there also (with some posts from Google employees).

~Scott
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete