Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Force
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

12-28-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 33

Moto Z Force - Android System draining batter badly

2016-12-28, 0:31 AM

So got a Moto Z Force a week ago.  Downloaded all my normal apps.  Worked fine for several days, getting almost 2 days out of a full battery.  Today, different story.  Barley used the phone and battery drained out in 10 hours.  Checked the usage and the Android System used 36%.  Clicked on it and seemed like this was keeping the phone awake.  Anybody had this happen to them and been able to fix?  I was very happy w this phone until now, still within window to return it and get a Samsung S7.....

Answer
Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2720 Signins

25620 Page Views

• Views: 25620

Re: Moto Z Force - Android System draining batter badly

2016-12-28, 1:49 AM

Yes, it has happened to me three times also.  I go from great battery life to Android OS and Voice Mail draining the battery like a hot knife through butter.  What has worked for me is when I see that clear app cache in Settings > Storage.  Then a system cache clear from Recovery, then charge it all night while I sleep.  The next day if need be do a forced reboot right before bed and charge all night and the battery drain stops.  It happened to me in Christmas Eve and I did a cache clear, app cache clear, forced reboot charged all night and has been good again.  Seems like something in Nougat is not playing nice with the battery.

~Scott

Replies(32)
Answer
Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2720 Signins

25620 Page Views

• Message 2 of 33

2016-12-28, 1:49 AM

Yes, it has happened to me three times also.  I go from great battery life to Android OS and Voice Mail draining the battery like a hot knife through butter.  What has worked for me is when I see that clear app cache in Settings > Storage.  Then a system cache clear from Recovery, then charge it all night while I sleep.  The next day if need be do a forced reboot right before bed and charge all night and the battery drain stops.  It happened to me in Christmas Eve and I did a cache clear, app cache clear, forced reboot charged all night and has been good again.  Seems like something in Nougat is not playing nice with the battery.

~Scott

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 3 of 33

2016-12-28, 2:00 AM

wrote:

So got a Moto Z Force a week ago.  Downloaded all my normal apps.  Worked fine for several days, getting almost 2 days out of a full battery.  Today, different story.  Barley used the phone and battery drained out in 10 hours.  Checked the usage and the Android System used 36%.  Clicked on it and seemed like this was keeping the phone awake.  Anybody had this happen to them and been able to fix?  I was very happy w this phone until now, still within window to return it and get a Samsung S7.....

All android phones experience occassional wake locks. Usually some 3rd party app getting stuck accessing system resources and the os gets blamed.

switching to S7 will likely result in more similar issues, but if that is your desire, do some research first

https://www.google.com/search?q=s7+android+system+battery+drain&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS718US718&oq=s7+android+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.5989j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

6 Posts

12-28-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 4 of 33

2016-12-28, 2:01 AM

That is exactly what mine is doing. My voicemail was also a battery hog at 19 percent. I love the features and life (when working right) of this phone but this is a pain in the ass. Thanks for the advice. I'll try this out. I just cleared the storage cache and will figure out how to do the other. 

Options

6 Posts

12-28-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 5 of 33

2016-12-28, 2:04 AM

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm a little butthurt cause I just traded in my S5 and don't recall an issue like this over its life and was super impressed by the Moto battery for the first week. 

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2720 Signins

25620 Page Views

• Message 6 of 33

2016-12-28, 2:08 AM

I don't blame the phone at all, folks reported great battery life on Android Marshmallow.  I think it's Android Nougat and apps that are not ready to support Nougat.  We are some of the first phones besides Nexus and Pixel to have Nougat.  

~Scott
Options

6 Posts

12-28-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 7 of 33

2016-12-28, 13:57 PM

Phone is working fine today.  Your advice worked for me like a charm.  Thanks again.

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2720 Signins

25620 Page Views

• Message 8 of 33

2016-12-28, 18:20 PM

wrote:

Phone is working fine today.  Your advice worked for me like a charm.  Thanks again.

You are welcome, always good to share info.  I think AlphaDog is correct, all phones experience this from time to time, and I also think that some apps / processes are just not ready for Nougat.  At least not yet.  My battery was fine yesterday and after posting here I used the Amazon Music app for the first time ever on my Z Force.  After finishing listening to music I noticed that the app would re-appear in the Notification panel even though I had completely exited the app.  It did not appear in the list of Recent Apps though.  After this happened about 4 times I noticed that Android System was starting to rise up the list of battery users.  Amazon Music running amuck in the background probably?  So I cleared all data for that app, rebooted my phone and by the end of the evening Android System was back down to the #3 battery user.  I will not use that app again until I see an update that says it's compatible with Android 7 Nougat (or something similar to that) since I never had this problem with that app on my T2 running Marshmallow.  Since we have both seen Voice Mail draining battery quickly that leads me to beliebe that a Verizon app or process gets "stuck" sometimes in the background and starts eating away at battery life.  Hopefully an update to the My Verizon app, Voice Mail or whatever will address this.  It's getting harder to tell which apps are running amuck due to Nougat security restrictions.  Apps like GSAM battery monitor now have to lump everything together into "Combined App CPU" usage because of security restrictions.  That's where clearing app cache, clearing app data and rebooting come in handy when things start to run wild in the background.  Kill those processes and enjoy good battery life again until the next time.

~Scott
Options

1 Posts

02-17-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 9 of 33

2017-02-17, 17:56 PM

Greetings.. in regards to the super drain from Android System and Voice mail... I tried the clear all app cache and reboot.. it only seemed to work for a day.. so I found a few things and disabled them.. they are in the Moto app. Basically everything under the actions portion other than the chop twice for flashlight. I haven't set up the voice commands and everything under the display part is set on default. So for the last two days with location, Bluetooth and WiFi on, the Android system went from 60ish percent battery to under 15% both days and Voice mail under 5%. Why Voice mail is ever an issue who knows. Also it's too bad I had to disable lots of the features I found fun and different from my previous Samsung devices. 

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2720 Signins

25620 Page Views

• Message 10 of 33

2017-02-17, 20:16 PM

wrote:

Greetings.. in regards to the super drain from Android System and Voice mail... I tried the clear all app cache and reboot.. it only seemed to work for a day.. so I found a few things and disabled them.. they are in the Moto app. Basically everything under the actions portion other than the chop twice for flashlight. I haven't set up the voice commands and everything under the display part is set on default. So for the last two days with location, Bluetooth and WiFi on, the Android system went from 60ish percent battery to under 15% both days and Voice mail under 5%. Why Voice mail is ever an issue who knows. Also it's too bad I had to disable lots of the features I found fun and different from my previous Samsung devices. 

The Moto app may not be your problem.  Hopefully not, since it's full of useful features.  I had the same 2 things draining my battery like crazy the first 3 weeks with my Z Force.  Then in the 4th week I received a notification from Verizon that my initial 30 Day Trial of Premium Visual Voicemail was about to expire.  Click here to pay....Click here to revert to Basic type of thing.  I forgot all about the initial 30 Day Trial.  Once I reverted back to standard Voicemail and rebooted my phone Voicemail has not used battery since, and Android OS moved way down the list.

~Scott
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms