Did you mean: 
dwzkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 226
Message 1 of 13

Moto Z Force Droid does not have mobile data on GSM

Model (Verison XT15650-02)

Android 8.0.0 (updated from nougat)

When I landed in Chennai Verizon Sim worked; I put Airtel Sim and phone worked fine.  (in CDMA / LTE Mode)

When I landed in Hyderabad, Airtel Sim inserted, the phone wouldn't find a tower and requested to switch to global mode.  Was then I realized it was in LTE / CDMA mode only.

Set to global mode and got 4-5 bars but mobile data does not work.  I verified Mobile Data is on and also Roaming for mobile data is allowed.  I've tried changing APN settings per various sites on Internet.  None work.  Phone will work fine in GSM with verizon sim in Hyderabad but not Airtel SIM.  NOTE: SIM Card purchased in Chennai, APN settings are set to Chennai (404-40)  MCC/MNC  Tried (404-49) which sould be Chennai, APN settings disapper.

Sim card works find in Samsung J600 purchased in India.

Verizon says see Airtel ; Airtel says see Verizon.  Go Figure.

Anyone encouter this situation? Have ideas to try?  Thanks.

PS: I'd like to use my personal cell in India vs. the company provided Samsung J600 since it is set up with all my email, etc.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 194
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto Z Force Droid does not have mobile data on GSM

Hi dwzkd,

Thanks for posting. Are you seeing any error message? Could you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

dwzkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 175
Message 3 of 13

Updated. Please check my apps. Can the phone be on WiFi for this or does it have to have the Airtel SIM card inserted?
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 153
Message 4 of 13

Hi dwzkd,

Thanks for the reply. Have you contacted your carrier about this? Are you using it outside the region? Airtel SIM is from India. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

dwzkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 140
Message 5 of 13

I have contacted Verizon (my home service provider and also provider of my phone) and Airtel (the SIM provider in India where I currently am located).  Both said to talk to the other one.

New information, I have returned to Chennai, where I belive the SIM card was purchased.... My Moto Z Force Droid now works on three protocols LTE/GSM/UTMS with data, calls and text.

I belive there must be something with Airtel that needs configured... do you agree?

Summary 

Z Force; Verizon Sim; works LTE/GSM/UTMS in Hyderabad and Chennai (NOTE: Z Force is Verizon provided phone)

Samsung J600; Airtel SIM; works LTE/GSM/UTMS in Hyderabad and Chennai  (NOTE: Samsung j600 is Airtel provided phone)

ZForce; Airtel SIM;  works LTE/GSM/UTMS in Chennai

ZForce; Airtel SIM;  works LTE (voice & data) GSM/UTMS (voice only; no data) in Hyderabad

Please let me know if you agree problem seems to be on Airtel side in Hyderabad.

Thank you

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 111
Message 6 of 13

Hi dwzkd,

Thanks for confirming. The Moto Z Force Droid is designed for Verizon and we can't guarantee that it would work perfectly to a different carrier, especially an outside region carrier. You might be able to have it work for a couple of days but not a guarantee that all functionality would work. I have my colleague from India checked this and that's what they've told me too. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

dwzkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 106
Message 7 of 13

Ummm.... This was marketed and sold as a world phone.  The idea that it could work one day and not another is incredulous.

The fact that you would make this claim as the answer is unacceptable.

I am due for a new phone in December.  I've been weighing the Z2 Force since Motorola has not, and apparently plans not to replace these phones.  The Z3 screen resolution is a step backwards.

I have been a motorola fan for at least 10+ years with smart phones and before that with analog.   

I rally am shocked this is your response.  I guess Samsung is my new brand.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 96
Message 8 of 13

I don't know how it was marketed, but this is a Droid phone, built specifically for Verizon wireless in the United States and I can assure you that neither Verizon nor Motorola ever guaranteed that the phone would work world-wide.

I think you may be confusing your version of the phone, which is Verizon specific, and has the licensed Droid branding, with the Moto Z Force without the Droid branding.  That one was sold for both GSM and CDMA networks, doesn't have the Verizon apps, and won't pester you about not having a Verizon SIM because it doesn't want one or need one.

You may still be able to configure the phone to work properly, but again: Moto highly recommends buying a phone that's manufactured for the region in which it is going to be used because you'll get the best performance.  

Honestly....someone sold you the wrong phone.  

dwzkd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 77
Message 9 of 13

Thank you for your response.  Now let me provide you my thoughts...

I am an engineer.  I understand this stuff pretty well.  I understand there are compatibilities that must be met and that testing every possible scenario, especially in cellular technology worldwide, is very difficult if not impossible. So the idea that there is an issue is no surprise and I am quite patient to wait while we resolve it, unlike most of the population who just expects this to work;  The population, expects that you, as a representative of Motorola should know every detail about every product ever made by Motorola and are able to fix it on the spot… I assure you, I understand the difficulties you face.  That is why I didn’t complain that it takes a day or two for responses, nor that you asked questions that I already answered in my initial post.

As an engineer, I expect the problem lies with Airtel and some particular setting with their service in Hyderabad because as I explained my Motorola phone works fine in Chennai on all available technologies and frequencies.  I offered a simple “out” for you in my previous response to agree with me and pass the problem to Airtel.  I would have believed it and been happily on my way to test this during a later trip to India as I will not be traveling to Hyderabad again during this visit.

Instead you chose to tell me the phone is designed for Verizon in the USA.  Yet the phone contains the technology and most of the frequencies that were in use around the globe when it was designed.  Yet to this date, Verizon only uses 5 of these frequencies in the USA (CDMA & LTE only; no GSM; hmm.) Further, Verizon does say on their website that this phone will work specifically in India.  In fact they sold me an international plan to work while I am in India.

So on to your final post, “blame the customer”… excellent choice.  Let me now offer you a lesson in customer support.  You should never blame the customer, even if it is their fault.  But I am sure you know this.   It is especially important when the customer you are blaming is an engineer of 30+ years who has done well for himself.  One who has risen to the position of Chief Technology Officer of a global company.  A company who uses computers and cell phones during the normal operations while conducting business.  Also a company that is increasing it’s share worldwide in the growing digital transformation space which uses many technologies at the edge of the network for collecting and transmitting data.

The CTO whose global team is responsible for choosing the computers and communications technologies used by it’s employee’s and, more importantly, the technologies that are used in the products we produce.

You should not blame the customer.... because that would just be… how do you say it…? “Just bad business”.

Thank you for your help in narrowing down my selection of vendors with whom to work.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 68
Message 10 of 13

If you think the customer is always right, you're living some dream...

People make mistakes all the time. This phone is a Verizon phone.

See here for models and their intended uses.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z-family?ds_rl=1242193&ds_rl=1242196&ds_rl=1263402&ds_rl=1...

Top Kudoed Authors