cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luiscampos2912
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,644
Message 1 of 9

Moto Z Force, battery drain, yellow triangle and heating up, charge drops from 100% to 5%

My phone first start by turning off by itself, then I charged to 100%, I used and less than 5 min it turns off again but showing that the battery its only 5%, I press again the power button and it shows a yellow triangle with a exclamation sign ( ! ) inside, I have done the factory restart  and all the recomendations given to other users, but the phones continue the same, the phone start doing this after the upgrade, the phones has not being droped or damaged.

This happened before the 1 year warranty, only did it twice with out showing the yellow sign, after 1 week of the warranty the phone start  doing it in shorters periods, I charge the phone and just play the intro and shuts down againg draining the battery from 100% to 5 %

Please help, let me know if this is something on the hardware or software, I would like to know before take the desission to send it to a repair center

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 6,473
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moto Z Force, battery drain, yellow triangle and heating up, charge drops from 100% to 5%

Hi luiscampos2912,

Sorry to know about that. I'd just like to confirm, did you perform factory data reset without automatic restore? Let's calibrate your phone's battery. Press and hold the power button at least 7 seconds until it force reboot > Charge the phone for until it reaches 100%, leave it there for 1-2 hours before powering on the phone. I would also recommend booting the device to safe mode.

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

codeman0032
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,315
Message 3 of 9

Re: Moto Z Force, battery drain, yellow triangle and heating up, charge drops from 100% to 5%

I've been reading about this problem lately and it seems like it's been happening for quite some time. I can't speak for anyone else but I know mine is happening from wear and tear, being dropped and hit more specifically. Being in a hands on industry my phones get very beat up.

Now I've got a black dot near my clock from the back screen being hurt somewhere behind the screen and the bottom of the whole touch screen will randomly cut out until I hit the power button to turn the screen off and back on. There's a small myriad of colors where it was most recently dented on the screen and that lead to the touch malfunction. The plastic on the back of the phone shattered before the screen ever did, ironically I suppose and the camera doesn't handle drops well either.

Also been getting the battery issue recently, phone was at 71% today, went to take a picture and it shut off to the triangle and exclamation point sign. It'll also shut off to the triangle at random power intervals though I noticed 20% was a pretty common number. 

I'm thinking it's like everyone else is saying and a software deeply rooted somewhere that is caught in a loop that apparently even factory resets won't fix. Even conditioning the battery is technically a software issue while it's running the hardware.

I've had my Moto Z Force for almost 2 years now and plan to just replace it with my insurance policy because it hasn't been a bad phone until recently though that's my fault for not taking proper care of it. 

A software related hardware issue is something I think the manufacturer should consider looking into though, that's not something a consumer can prevent in a lot of cases, especially the ones I was reading about that weren't hard on theirs like I was.

Richardm1062
Paper Tape
Views: 4,962
Message 4 of 9

I've been experiencing the same issue with my phone. Its a Moto Z Force Droid purchased directly from Motorola last year.  The battery info fluxes wildy, draining or charging very quickly, sometimes shutting itself off spontaneously. I've seen it drop 20 points in just a few mintues and go back up again almost as quickly. Case in point while I've been writing this I started charging my phone. At 52% battery I rebooted it. When the phone came back on the battery had jumped from 52% to 82%. Rebooted again and it came back on at 39%. After unlocking it after the last reboot it promptly gave me a 0% low battery message and turned itself off. 

The battery indicator can say its for example at a 60% charge but then the phone suddenly shuts off, sometimes showing the triangle / exclamation point with a small red line at the top.  I try turning it back on and it shuts itself off again. But if I plug in the charger and turn it back on the phone comes back on and stays on, showing the same 60% charge. 60% is just an example. I've seen the charge be higher or lower but it behaves the same way, spontaneously shutting itself off even when its no where near being drained.

It seems worse when connecting to the internet. I go online and start surfing the web and within a few minutes or less the phone again just turns itself off. A workaround I've been using is to keep the phone connected to a charger while using it. Whenever I do this the phone pretty much functions properly with no rapid flux of battery level nor it spontaneously turning itself off. 

This is a relatively recent event having just started in the last month or two. Prior to that for the previous 8-10 months or so of use the phone has functioned flawlessly. On another forum I read one saying that "the battery table needed to be reset", suggesting charging the phone with the charger that came with the phone and then leaving it on the charger for an additional couple of hours after being fully charged.  Tried that but it didn't help. 

I've never had any issues with Motorola phones. Judging from how many people I've seen with this issue it sounds more like a software than hardware issue. The phone is about a year or so old so I'm hoping there is an update or patch that Motorola can release that will fix this.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,951
Message 5 of 9

Many have came here looking for help with this issue. There is no update to fix this. From all I've seen here the only thing that's corrected this has been a battery replacement. Sadly new phones do not have an easy way to replace them. Wish I had an easy fix but if you read everything you'll see what I've said is the only way and Motorola has said repair is needed and nothing more. 

BodegaJane
Paper Tape
Views: 4,600
Message 6 of 9

I'm having the same issue! My Moto Z Force will be charged, I'll go take a photo or send a text and it shuts down showing the red triangle with yellow exclamation point. I plug it in, gets a full charge and then will do it again. My phone has also been randomly getting really hot. 

I've never had this issue. I've not installed any new apps recently either. 

Richardm1062
Paper Tape
Views: 4,552
Message 7 of 9

It went on for a few months with me, getting progressively worse until finally reaching the point where the only way it would work would be to have it plugged into the charger constantly. 

A Motorola moderator here told me it needed a battery replacement which Motorola would do for $150. I bought the phone brand new a little over a year ago so that was a bitter pill to swallow. But I finally relented and sent my phone in, which they repaired and returned in less than a week. 

Glad to have my phone back and working but if this becomes an annual thing having to replace the battery this will be the last Motorola phone that I ever buy.

KAWBOY7
Paper Tape
Views: 142
Message 8 of 9

I have 2 Moto z force phones and both are experiencing the same battery and operating system problems since updating to Android 7.1.1. $1600 down the drain as these phones are unusable with this problem. Google and Motorola need to step up and replace my phone's or I'm going to switch to Apple...

Highlighted
Richardm1062
Paper Tape
Views: 136
Message 9 of 9

Ultimately I sent my phone in to Motorola and they replaced the battery. As it was out of warranty it cost me $150 to repair it but at least I got my phone back. At the time the phone was only a year old so it was disappointing that the battery died so quickly. Its been almost a year since I replaced the battery and the phone has worked fine with no other issues. For now I'll stick with Motorola and Droid. But if the battery dies again after 1 year I will probably consider replacing the phone with a new non-Motorola device.

Top Kudoed Authors