03-04-2018

US

2 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 2

Moto Z MOD - Smart Card (CAC) Reader

2018-03-04, 21:22 PM

I was just thinking that a great idea for MOD would be a thin, smart card/common access card reader for the Moto Z/Moto Z Force built in to the back plate itself which would allow chrome and/or other apps to read the certificates off of the card to access certain sites. Such sites include most DoD websites now including military email making it impossible for us military service members to read our email on our phones anymore. Unfortunately, I do not know how to make such a MOD, but if anyone did, it would be super popular, especially amongst military personnel using enterprise email (such as all members of the Army) because it would allow us to check our email from our phone. MilitaryCAC.com (a site for teaching military members how to configure their computers to access their military smart cards to access their email and other CAC enabled sites) says there are existing android and iphone options, but they are apparently hard to obtain, expensive, bulky (like a large separate reader attached to your phone by wire), and don't always work.

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Views: 25605
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Moto Z MOD - Smart Card (CAC) Reader

2018-03-05, 16:51 PM

Not a bad idea at all, I would use it.  I miss the days when we could check Military email using the stock Mail app, before the DoD changed to an enterprise smart card only system.

Not sure if there would be enough use & enough people buying it to justify the cost of building it, but I like the idea.

~Scott
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete