Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MauroP
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,455
Message 1 of 58

Moto Z2 Force Battery Drain

Hallo, I have my Moto Z2 Force since December 20th, 2017. My Previous was a Huawei Honor 7, which I still have, with new battery replaced on October 2017.

I have same apps on both phone, with no SD card on Moto Z2 (and SD card on Honor 7).

With same usage, average duration of Honor 7 is 26 hours with Honor 7 vs 14 hours with Moto Z2 Force.

Yesterday before going to sleep my Z2 was 100% (just charged with Turbo Power), I put Z2 on battery saving mode and went to sleep. After 4 hours I woke up and the battery was 81%, when I checked application usage it was 1% screen, 1% system, 1% standby, 2% email, for a total of 5%. Where did the other missing 14% go?

With my Honor 7, after 6 hours sleep in normal mode (not saving) battery did never go down more then 10%.

Of course I am not comparing Honor 7 with Z2 as a whole, it would have been a mismatch and Honor 7 is full of defects, I'm just mentioning battery usage of my previous phone because when I complained of battery duration to Z2 reseller they told me it's me using the battery too much.

Right now I've also deactivated geolocalisation, but after few hours it still look like the battery wont last more then 15 hours.

Any idea what the problem is?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 23,332
Message 2 of 58

Re: Moto Z2 Force Battery Drain

Hi, MauroP.

We appreciate your feedback, just to narrow down could you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Let us know the results via screenshot?

Thanks,

Swaraj

-Moto support 

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
MauroP
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,274
Message 3 of 58

I did not go thru with "safe mode" because in the meantime I have an update:

Since I read somewhere else that the issue could be in the TurboCharger, when it was still 40% I've fully charged the phone connecting the USB cable to my laptop. Battery went 100% after 45 minutes or so and after that I was able to use my phone for 22 hours, and I still have 31% of the battery available.

What do you think?

Bill_Stuntz
Token Ring
Views: 23,263
Message 4 of 58

100% is 100% whichever charger you use.  It just takes longer to get there via USB.  Run time shouldn't change.  I get >36 hours of runtime with my relatively light use.  You might want to try GSM Battery Monitor, Battery Widget Reborn, or something similar to get a better handle on battery use.  You might also want to try Carat.

The only truly stupid question is the one you SHOULD have asked - but DIDN'T.
Seibelhouse
Paper Tape
Views: 23,227
Message 5 of 58

Battery drain

Screenshot_20180123-082811.png

So here's the deal. Phone fully charged, started DUO to call my wife. Phone dropped battery power huge, t 57 percent after about 20 mins then shut itself off during the call. Had to plug in to turn phone on. Phone has now been plugged in the entire time and shows full at 100 percent. Where you see the green vertical squiggly lines is where the phone restarted twice on it's own. Running in safe mode has no effect on the battery drain. Can anyone help? Is Motorola/Sprint going to fix this? I'm going to Europe in a few months and I'd like a phone that works!!

Screenshot_20180123-082832.png

Screenshot_20180123-085013.png

CHPBR
Paper Tape
Views: 23,182
Message 6 of 58

Re: Battery drain

The same !!!
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 23,160
Message 7 of 58

Hi Seibelhouse

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. From what I can see, you have a fluctuating signal which is one factor for the battery to drain. Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings, and voice, data, and other application usage patterns. There might also be applications running in the background that may cause the phone to behave such. We actually suggest rebooting the phone at least every 48 hours to clear out running applications and reset battery meter. 

You may try calibrating the battery. Just press and hold the Power button until the screen goes dark, about 7-10 seconds. When the screen goes dark, release the Power button and the phone will automatically reboot. Plug the phone in and let it charge overnight, using only the charger that came in the box with the phone. Observe the battery performance within 24 hours. Let me know how it goes. 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

MauroP
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,133
Message 8 of 58

Hallo, after having disabled geo and NFC, in last couple of weeks my Moto Z2 Force battery lasted always more than 24 hours except one day when it lasted 12 hours. I am not sure what was the issue then, if it was because I used for some hour my mobile as an hotspot or whatelse (actually % was decreasing faster than usual even before using the hotspot).

I would say the problem is solved.

Seibelhouse
Paper Tape
Views: 23,112
Message 9 of 58

I ran it in safe mode for a day, battery lasted 4 hrs. I rebooted the phone back to factory condition, and the battery dropped down to 80 percent after making one five minute phone call and a few text messages. Phone was at 78 percent when it shut down on it's own this morning and restarted twice. What's the next step?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 23,010
Message 10 of 58

@Seibelhouse wrote:

I ran it in safe mode for a day, battery lasted 4 hrs. I rebooted the phone back to factory condition, and the battery dropped down to 80 percent after making one five minute phone call and a few text messages. Phone was at 78 percent when it shut down on it's own this morning and restarted twice. What's the next step?

Hi, Seibelhouse.

If you did a factory data reset and tested BEFORE installing or restoring ANY apps, and the problem persists, then service/repair/replace is next step.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Top Kudoed Authors