Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ciero4
Paper Tape
Views: 780
Message 1 of 13

Moto Z2 Force - No screen overlay on incoming calls

Since 1/25 when my system updated, the only visual notification I receive for incoming calls is the tiny notification icon at the top of the screen.  While I can still answer the calls, it's not nearly as easy and it's very annoying. I have tried any number of things, from clearing the cache for the phone and resetting all app permissions, to doing a factory reset and nothing I do will make the the phone ring like it used to with the full screen display.

Any ideas for anything else to try , or how to fix this?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 687
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto Z2 Force - No screen overlay on incoming calls

Hi Ciero4,

Thanks for posting. I'd like to confirm, what was the update about? Kindly share me a screenshot so I can confirm if it's working designed. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Ciero4
Paper Tape
Views: 677
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

Last week, on the 24th, I received a notice that my phone was being updated and I needed to reboot it to complete it.  I rebooted and didn't think anything more about it.  Then on Friday I noticed the issue with the screen overlay.

When I look at System updates, I see the software update to ODXS27.109-34-17-3-3 on Jan 24, 2019 at 5:15pm.

Screenshot_20190128-140040.png

Thanks for looking at this!

Cheryl

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 670
Message 4 of 13

We received the January 2019 monthly security patch last week, that was the update that downloaded & installed.

~Scott
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 609
Message 5 of 13

Hi Ciero4,

Can you send me a screenshot when you receive an incoming call? Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

jesta192
SCSI Port
Views: 557
Message 6 of 13

@Ciero4 wrote:

Since 1/25 when my system updated, the only visual notification I receive for incoming calls is the tiny notification icon at the top of the screen.  While I can still answer the calls, it's not nearly as easy and it's very annoying. I have tried any number of things, from clearing the cache for the phone and resetting all app permissions, to doing a factory reset and nothing I do will make the the phone ring like it used to with the full screen display.

Any ideas for anything else to try , or how to fix this?

I just want to add that I've had some problems with this as well. It's possible it's related to using my Incipio Vehicle Dock Moto Mod. As of right now it seems to be working normally. But shortly after the update when my phone would ring in my van (while it was on the dock) the only way I see who was calling or answer the call was to look at the van's radio (which was connected to the phone through bluetooth). Calls themselves worked normally, but I also had to use the radio hang-up button since there was no way to go to the incoming-call screen from the phone that I could find.

I don't know what I may have done to get it working properly again, since I basically forgot about it until now (I guess it's been working for several days now?). I'll have to pay closer attention.

I'm on the recent update, ODXS27.109-34-17-3-3

Ciero4
Paper Tape
Views: 523
Message 7 of 13

Hi,

Sorry it took so long to get back with you.  This is still an issue and it's a major annoyance.  When I get an incoming call, the only indication I have of the call is as you can see in the first screen shot below, the teeny tiny little phone handset icon in the top left corner.  Then I have to pull down the shade, but depending on whatever other notifications I might have, I have to search through the info in the shade to find the call and only then I can I select to Answer or Ignore.  Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this?  As I said, I already tried a number of things, the last of which was to do a factory reset.  You don't really realize how many settings you've changed over the course of a year until you do a factory reset....

Thanks for looking at this.

.screenRingWithNoOverlay.jpgteeny tiny handset icon in top leftScreenShadePulledDown.jpg

jesta192
SCSI Port
Views: 507
Message 8 of 13

@Ciero4 wrote:

... When I get an incoming call, the only indication I have of the call is as you can see in the first screen shot below, the teeny tiny little phone handset icon in the top left corner.  Then I have to pull down the shade, but depending on whatever other notifications I might have, I have to search through the info in the shade to find the call and only then I can I select to Answer or Ignore...

My problem might be different than yours after all. It definitely only seems to happen when the phone is on my Incipio dock. I don't seem to get the phone icon in my notifications at all like you are seeing. Literally the only way I can answer or end the call while the phone is on the dock is to use my van's radio Answer/Hangup buttons. I have not yet tried pulling the phone off the dock during calls to see if the interface comes back.

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 500
Message 9 of 13

@Ciero4 wrote:

... When I get an incoming call, the only indication I have of the call is as you can see in the first screen shot below, the teeny tiny little phone handset icon in the top left corner.  Then I have to pull down the shade, but depending on whatever other notifications I might have, I have to search through the info in the shade to find the call and only then I can I select to Answer or Ignore.  Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this?  As I said, I already tried a number of things, the last of which was to do a factory reset.  You don't really realize how many settings you've changed over the course of a year until you do a factory reset....

Good morning,

My daughter had a very similar issue on her Z Play Droid, no on-screen notification for an incoming call; just the little icon in the Notification Tray (I never had a chance to resolve it, she bought a new phone).  After the factory reset, did you test an incoming call before doing anything else?  Before entering your G mail account, before installing any apps, before adjusting any Settings, and before letting any apps update through the Play Store?  Did the automatic restore process start downloading your backup data right away?  The issue could have returned right back onto the phone.  What happens when you put your phone in Safe Mode and someone calls?

~Scott
Ciero4
Paper Tape
Views: 483
Message 10 of 13

Hi,

Thanks.  I probably did NOT test the factory reset before teh backup restored, so you could be right.  When I start the phone in safe mode, incoming calls still come in the same way, with the tiny notification and no large screen overlay.

Top Kudoed Authors