Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mp7ski
Paper Tape
Views: 432
Message 191 of 206

Re: Moto Z2 Force Screen Shield Adhesive Came Off

Cause not everybody has had the same experience as you.  They wanted to charge me to have the screen replaced and I had to talk to multiple people for over an hour to finally get to someone high enough on the ladder to agree to waive the fee. 

They then told me there was no need to back my phone up as they are just replacing the screen... Well that wasn't the case as they sent me a completely different refurbished phone.

Luckily for me I planned ahead anyways and backed up everything I wanted. 

The only issue now is this refurbished phone has a lot of issues that I've posted on here about and I'm not happy.

I think they are feeding you a line of BS about the redesign. They aren't going to spend all that money changing the manufacturing process on a phone that's already out of date. If they did fix the issue, they wouldn't be going back to gorilla glass for the z3.

seriouslyANGRY
Punch Card
Views: 411
Message 192 of 206

Pretty easy to figure out, Motorola's customer service is horrible to say the least. I am one of those people that was quoted $150 to repair my phone that was still under warranty. It took a couple of days and many hours on hold and several posts on these boards before I was finally offered a free repair, but that is just the halftime score my friend.

Four days later I had a shiny REFURBISHED phone. After activating the phone I attempted to place a test call… Nothing. Another hour and a half on hold revealed that I had been sent a phone that had been blacklisted for attempted fraud (those are the only details they would give me) they told me to send the phone back and they would send another and that all would be fine, not so. The blacklisted phone automatically placed a restriction on my phone number, it took roughly 3 hours between chat, on hold and working with the fraud department in order to get the restriction lifted.  I won't bother going into the story about the twice-daily spam emails..

mjpc
Paper Tape
Views: 187
Message 193 of 206

So, I guess I'm now in the same boat. I purchased the phone for myself and my wife in May (we both had the Moto Z Play, purchased October last year, and I had purchased one for my mother-in-law). I have now faced the peeling of the Shattershield (and, as of yesterday, my wife is now using an iPhone XR because of the problems she's had)..

Anyway, I just got off a web chat, with a person, ARVIN, that was absolutely rude in relation to assisting. He/She simply said that I need to call the 1-800 number, as I was wasting their time.

So, on to the phone call. I get a ticket number, and report that I am suffering from two issues - the Shattershield is peeling off around the fingerprint sensor, even though I've taken exquisite care of my device, and I am getting a "Can't send message with SIM1, error -1" issue with my phone (this was why my wife moved to the iPhone - she would get this constantly, and she would miss important communications).

They want to charge me $49.99 to replace my Shattershield? Really? So, I have to pay for something that I wouldn't have had to have paid for had this been any other phone! And, because of the Shattershield peeling, if my phone requires replacement because of the SIM1 error, I'll get charge $150 for a phone replacement because the Shattershield is considered physical damage.

Why does this sound like extortion?

Here - purchase the phone from us, and, when the screen starts peeling, because it will, you'll have to pay us to fix it. And if you try and get anything else resolved under warranty, instead, we'll charge you even more.

Has anyone had any success dealing with Motorola in getting this resolved recently? I've invested a LOT into Moto Mods, which, I now know was a mistake. Three Hasselblad cameras, Three projectors, battery mods, cases, the Folio case, bumpers, and so on...  Had I known I would be forced to pay for repairs when under warranty, I would have never purchased that first Moto Z Play.

In fact, my mother-in-law had about a week of it before she had to go and purchase an iPhone.. Her Moto Z Play had a bad speaker, and she could never hear anything unless the speakerphone was on. That phone and the mods were a loss. The Moto Z Play for my wife had to be replaced this past May because her camera could never obtain focus. I purchased one since I thought it would be a nice upgrade for both of us.

Such a sucker.

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 175
Message 194 of 206

I have had nothing but good luck and success when dealing with Moto customer support.  But as with all support, many of the Tier 1 agents that answer the phone just don't know how to handle issues . You should bot bot  to pay for the peeling Shattershield screen.  Hopefully one of the Moto Agents that monitor this forum will reach out to you.  In the meantime I would call back and ask to escalate to a manager, someone that actually understands the issue.

~Scott
mjpc
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 195 of 206

@sajokaz wrote:

I have had nothing but good luck and success when dealing with Moto customer support.  But as with all support, many of the Tier 1 agents that answer the phone just don't know how to handle issues . You should bot bot  to pay for the peeling Shattershield screen.  Hopefully one of the Moto Agents that monitor this forum will reach out to you.  In the meantime I would call back and ask to escalate to a manager, someone that actually understands the issue.

Scott, thanks for the reply. The first agent I spoke to had transferred me over to someone else to handle the repair, and eventually, she said I can try to e-mail ceomoto@motorola.com for help.

Highlighted
sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 164
Message 196 of 206

I doubt anyone monitors that Inbox, buy anything is possible.  I think in many cases the lower level agents read from a flow xhach script.  Shattershield replacement: $45, check   Screen damage: $100-$150, check.  Someone at a supervisor level should know this is a fairly common issue and that your phone is still within the 12 month warranty.  It sounds like they are trying to charge you the standard "damaged screen" fee, instead of filing it as a warranty claim for a defect.

~Scott
Marc54
Fanfold Paper
Views: 97
Message 197 of 206

(Sorry for long post: involves shatterscreen removal procedure):    

I took the plunge and removed the shatterscreen (finally).  I had bought my Z2 Force back last April used off local Craigslist post, and the screen was fairly scratched up (didn't notice it too much at time of purchase), but put a plastic screen guard over it and then into a CoverWare case (kinda a poor man's Otterbox).  Case finally self-destructed so had to go another direction.   Anyways, the screen is exposed now, so I examined the thought of removing the shattershield (the screen protector I used was bubbling up a little).  The edges of the phone had some oil streaks building up and the original shatter screen looked like crap anyways...so I decided to give it a go at removal.  I figured if I worked slowly nothing would get ruined (hopefully) or it was then time to invest in a Note 9 or Galaxy anyways...or send in for repair.

Removing the shattershield has been outlined by a few users, but here is the procedure I used:  first turn off the phone (power it down fully).  Next, remove any screen protector you might have used over the original screen.  Then, I used a heat gun to soften up the adhesive (a hair dryer would probably do the job, but the heat gun is a bit more aggressive so care must be used-those things can melt solder)!  Slowly lifted and peeled the screen back, starting from the upper right corner.  Just peel a few mm at a time, add heat if necessary, and you'll get there (entire screen assembly will actually lift a little while working on this, so be patient as the adhesive is very strong).  Ater successfully peeling off the shatter layer, time to remove the adhesive that remained (the hard part).  Actually only took me about 15-20 min...I used alternating DeSolvIt and ethanol from Home Depot (isopropyl alcohol would probably be OK too).  Used an old T-shirt as a rag, and rubbed the glue layer off, as well as scraping off pieces with fingernails (don't worry, this part won't damage the screen unless you use a razor or a nail as it's glass).  After removing all the adhesive, then used a set of Kimwipes to polish the screen with ethanol and to dry wipe it.  Then layed down a glass protector (Spigen 2-pak or SuperShieldz are great), one or two small air pockets to work out, and everything now looks and works like new! (never been good at putting on screen protectors, but the tempered glass ones are fairly easy).  As a plus, the new screen protectors kinda act like a shattershield anyways, as they will crack or splinter before the actual screen most of the time.  Now I feel like I finally have a device that rivals the Galaxy or Pixel or anything else out there, plus I have a ton of mods to start using! Just need to buy one of those nifty extended battery mods...Hope Z3 won't require this tedious procedure!

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 89
Message 198 of 206

There is no Z3 Force.  Both Z3 models use traditional Gorilla Glass.  No Shattershield screens on the Z3.

~Scott
Marc54
Fanfold Paper
Views: 82
Message 199 of 206

Hallelujah! Lenovo finally got it right then...gave up on the shatterscreen failed experiment...or got tired of repairs/exchanges!

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 73
Message 200 of 206

Some say failed....I say it was and still is brilliant.  I have owned every Shattershield phone and have not had one issue.

~Scott
Top Kudoed Authors