Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tacticalnewfy
Paper Tape
Views: 725
Message 11 of 37

Re: Moto Z2 Force Tmobile Will Not Update to Oreo

I just bought the Moto Z2 Force this week and out of the box tried to get the update on a brand new device. I'm having the same issue you are. Identical pretty much...

I have been on the phone with T-Mobile for about an hour now and they finally transfered me to a department at this number: 800-937-8997

I told her the issue and she has been working with another tech on another side and they said they're going to try to push the update directly to my phone. I'm not holding my breath but I'll update this if it actually works. 

tacticalnewfy
Paper Tape
Views: 723
Message 12 of 37

Just got off the phone with them. Apparently they're still pushing the OTA update. They've stopped the January push for now but are getting ready to push it again soon. My device is on the list for the next round of updates and will get it as soon as they restart the push. They don't have a date when yet but it will be coming down soon. Just need to wait longer and I'll be in the next round.
Inattentive
What's DOS?
Views: 609
Message 13 of 37

So was this issue resolved? I get the feeling this is the same problem of  TMobile branded phones bought through Motorola end up with the imei unregistered in the TMobile system. Motorola points the finger at TMobile and TMobile reciprocates. I have a T-Mobile branded phone. It's running on TMobile network, but it wont recognize the phone as a TMobile phone, ie no unlocking; it also wont push any OTA updates. I'm still on ncx26.2 build. Why can't either company accept that there is a problem and fix it. How does Motorola push carrier branded phones that aren't actually controlled by the carrier? I just want the OTA and ability to unlock like the other 99%. I'd appreciate some actual response, not a "thanks we're working on it".

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 605
Message 14 of 37

@Inattentive wrote:

So was this issue resolved? I get the feeling this is the same problem of  TMobile branded phones bought through Motorola end up with the imei unregistered in the TMobile system. Motorola points the finger at TMobile and TMobile reciprocates. I have a T-Mobile branded phone. It's running on TMobile network, but it wont recognize the phone as a TMobile phone, ie no unlocking; it also wont push any OTA updates. I'm still on ncx26.2 build. Why can't either company accept that there is a problem and fix it. How does Motorola push carrier branded phones that aren't actually controlled by the carrier? I just want the OTA and ability to unlock like the other 99%. I'd appreciate some actual response, not a "thanks we're working on it".

As for the update, it was stopped. I don't have any information when it will start again.

As for unlocking, do you want to carrier unlock?

And does it show T-Moile on the phone in settings for about phone?

tacticalnewfy
Paper Tape
Views: 595
Message 15 of 37

No, the issue hasn't been resolved. I have a T-MOBILE branded Moto Z and a ATT branded device on Ting and neither will update OTA just stuck at 7.1.1. 

Hopefully it's resolved soon. Fairly annoyed at this point. Getting access to updates quicker was one of the reasons I went to a Moto.

HokieAl
Punch Card
Views: 589
Message 16 of 37

They had the update quickly.  It just had a weird bug, and they must be working on fixing it.  So instead of infecting millions of others with the bug, they stopped the update, since Nougat worked fine.  That's my guess.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 583
Message 17 of 37

@HokieAl wrote:

They had the update quickly.  It just had a weird bug, and they must be working on fixing it.  So instead of infecting millions of others with the bug, they stopped the update, since Nougat worked fine.  That's my guess.

Yes, I received the update quickly but there was a bug on T-Mobile that caused some other T-Mobile Samsung phones to not be able to hear each other. So it's good they pulled it and are now working to fix it before releasing it again.

HokieAl
Punch Card
Views: 574
Message 18 of 37

What T-Mobile should do is update the software updates section of their website to indicate that the update has been pulled.  If you look at the Z2 Force on there, you won't see any indication of that.  They could probably save a few support calls by including that information.

JamesS2
Paper Tape
Views: 570
Message 19 of 37

Hi Swaraj,

Do you have any information on when updated security patches will be pushed?  Can they be pushed without the Orea update? I get that the Orea update is paused, but we are still sitting with phones that have security updates that are over 6 months old now.

Best,

James

Inattentive
What's DOS?
Views: 559
Message 20 of 37

Yes, I don't have the option to unlock my phone. In addition, if I use the T-Mobile imei checker, it does not recognize my device. The software variant in my phone settings is T-Mobile. 

Top Kudoed Authors