Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angrymotoz2
Punch Card
Views: 1,055
Message 131 of 142

Re: Moto Z2 Force randomly turning off & battery drain issue

Yea, I was going to put the sim in an old Moto I had ( the THREE z2's I used (family & friends had mildly used ones, long stories) all failed around the same time on battery failure. One of them the screen separated from the phone and I smelt it when I followed the **bleep**ty advice this forum had to offer.) 

Just to remember that Moto needs a new ROM because the update screwed it up.

Gravedigga
Paper Tape
Views: 858
Message 132 of 142

Is there a fix for this issue.love my z2 force now it keeps powering off ... before power off was at 45% now even at 85% it's being shut down low power ..any verdict on the fix or is the z2 junk?

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 843
Message 133 of 142

There's no "fix" or "patch" if that is what you are asking.  All you can do is follow the normal troubleshooting steps:

* Boot into Safe Mode and see how the phone performs.  Is it better?  The same?  Then go from there.

* If necessary, backup all personal data and factory reset the phone.  See how it performs with NO play store apps installed and no changes to any Settings.  Is it better?  The same?

* If that doesn't help, then either a replacement, repair or a new phone is the next step.

I know people get tired of seeing the same things posted all the time, bit those are the normal troubleshooting steps to follow.

~Scott
Highlighted
45lat
Paper Tape
Views: 263
Message 134 of 142

An update on my warrenty, my old phone at the end of the work day would be at 70% the batery lasted about 5 months and then it would shut off at 80 %. My replacement phone WOW after work still at 90 % I charge it about every 3 days ( I am not a heavy user.  Also I do NOT use the moto fast charger any more. ) They also gave me another month warrenty whitch has expired. Over 7 months so far and still going strong. I hope this keeps up now warrenty is over, Thank You Moto 

Ibrar_hussain
Paper Tape
Views: 194
Message 135 of 142

Hey bro....

How did you solve the issue????? By replacing the battery?????

45lat
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 136 of 142

Hi my device was under warrenty so they replaced it.  I do have another moto z which the battery did the same thing so i replaced the battery and it fixed the problem.  There are som detailed videos on youtube, I followed them and all went well. Hope this helps

MayTwo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 135
Message 137 of 142

I am new to this forum after having read up on z2 force battery drain and restart issues I am having with my ~1.5yr old phone.  I have not seen a valid explanation for this battery drain issue so maybe the below can help others.

Based on my personal experimentation over the past week including safe mode operation, hardware reset and numerous app operations that cause the shutoff, I have deduced that this issue is related to the Battery Protection IC that is inside the battery.  This IC determines if the battery or external charger is to provide power to the internal workings of the phone.  If this IC "gets confused", then the phone shuts off unless there is an alternative power source.  Since this issue can be recovered by plugging in the charger, this seems to make sense.  Though since it continues to happen this tells me it is the IC and not software that is the root cause of this issue.  So this gives me some hope that replacing the battery should fix the problem - unless the Battery Protection IC is faulty in the replacement.  If not, then time to get a different phone.

I did review the teardown reports for this phone to better understand the Battery SubSystem and to verify which Battery Protection IC that is being used.  After reviewing the datasheet for this IC and how it operates - it does seem to explain the issue.  Though I can not explain why this IC is having an issue after a certain amount of time.  Obviously I can't name the IC Manufacturer since I can't prove it is the source of the problem.  But I suspect Lenovo/Motorola should be able to confirm this with relative ease...if they choose to identify the root cause.

Hope this helps.

41rw4lk
Punch Card
Views: 112
Message 138 of 142

Moto has pretty much ditched this phone. Last I checked, you could buy the z3, z4, and even the original z from their website, but the z2 was nowhere to be found.
Their last update (pie) was only offered to half of its consumers and even then it was a slop job that seemed to be an appeasement.They bailed on us and the only explanation was 'it's complex'.
Keep this in mind when they start flashing the new Razr. It has a price tag of $1500 from what I've seen. If you think being boned after paying $700 for our phone was bad, imagine being in it for $1500. No thanks Moto, I won't be conned again.
MayTwo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 82
Message 139 of 142

Update:  Last night phone got stuck in the power up boot loop.  Left charging over night and had same issue this morning.  Phone would turn on, get to the carrier logo and then shut off.  Tried multiple times and would always do the same boot power up loop.  I found the link below for a factory mode reset and wiped the data entirely (even personal data) after removing the SD Card and SIM card.  So far it has powered up, connected to WiFi and gmail.  So far so good.  I was going to get a new phone but may not have to.  This might be worth a try to see if it can get your phone to recover.

Recovery Mode Boot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA0DHvbIlWY

Hope this helps as it has saved me the headache of getting a new phone - so far.

MayTwo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 76
Message 140 of 142

Update 2: Ok...never mind update 1. 

Looks like issue is still present though seems more software related than battery hardware issue as I had previously thought.  I was able to boot up and use the phone a couple of times.  Though it is back to the boot loop again with a wierd caveat.  The power up graphics are stuck in a loop from "powered by andriod" to the "Lenovo" banner to the "Motorola" wording being displayed and back to the "powered by andriod" words.   Connecting the charger during this loop has no impact on the software looping.  It will react to the power button but gets stuck in the same software loop.  My phone has 7.1.1 and it won't update to 8.x to see if that fixes anything.

So this Moto x2 is back to being a paperweight.  

Top Kudoed Authors