Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C-Bay
What's DOS?
Views: 21,215
Message 1 of 133

Moto Z2 Force randomly turning off & battery drain issue

My wife and I have both had our Z2 Force for about 7 months. They have BOTH began experiencing battery drain issues. My battery has lasted all day until about a week ago. Now, I have to charge it about every 2 hours. Also, the phones have began to turn off at random. It began turning off when I would take a picture, then when I would close my messaging app. Now, it just suddenly and randomly turns off. Sometimes I am able to turn the phone back on, but often, it shows 0% battery and will not restart unless it is connected to a charger. Once on, it shows the normal battery charge (often as high as 86%). It has cut off on me 4 times in the past hour or so. These phones have always been in cases and have had no damage. Has anyone else experienced this? what can I do other than request a new phone? I hate to go through the process of getting a new phone just to have the same thing happen again...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 20,589
Message 2 of 133

Re: Moto Z2 Force randomly turning off & battery drain issue

Hello C-Bay,

I would recommend calibrating the battery for a start. To calibrate the battery Hold the power button until the phone reboots > Plug into the supplied charger > Charge to 100% > Leave on the charger for at least an additional hour. Observe the phone after and let me know what happens.

Regards,

JM
Motorola Support

Valdez4o8
What's DOS?
Views: 20,236
Message 3 of 133

I have this same issue. Performed the battery calibration and is no help. Phone continues to turn off randomly

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 20,152
Message 4 of 133

@Valdez4o8 wrote:

I have this same issue. Performed the battery calibration and is no help. Phone continues to turn off randomly

I know it could be a little limiting but can you also test if this will persist in safe mode? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Let me know how it went.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

C-Bay
What's DOS?
Views: 20,140
Message 5 of 133

Tried battery calibration and safe mode. Problem persists.

Justin6
Paper Tape
Views: 19,919
Message 6 of 133

Same issue. Same phone. Started about the same date. The April update messed up my phone. I hope the next update has a bug fix. I even bought a moto mod battery just so I have a normal phone. This is my third pre-release Moto and it may be my last.
Mizbixby
What's DOS?
Views: 19,772
Message 7 of 133

My son & I also own the Moto Z2 unlocked version. We are having same issues. His phone has shut down completely. He went and followed the complete reset for his phone to put back into factory setup. He can’t use it at all. Mine has to be plugged in all the time. I can’t even use it unplugged for 5 mins and it drops down and maybe if lucky use for half hour before it dies. Can’t turn back on unless plugged in & takes a few before it will turn on. The charge value is sometimes 86% sometimes 45% or whatever.  I bought 2 battery mods thinking that would make a difference and now money spent that is worthless, they didn’t make any difference.  I have 2 battery mods for nothing. They aren’t cheap.

We have bought several phones (7-8) from this company and are frustrated. Lenovo please fix this or I am pretty sure you will loose business because I won’t buy anymore of your phones and will tell friends & family to stay away. 

Lenovo you know this is an issue with your batteries or software/hardware. It is not an user issue. Please stand behind your phones and fix this.  

Justin6
Paper Tape
Views: 19,708
Message 8 of 133

Until you can send it for repair change the setting on your Turbo Moto Mod battery pack to Turbo.  It's probably in efficiency mode which holds it at 80%.  I had to do that until I sent the phone back.

Howardgar
What's DOS?
Views: 19,090
Message 9 of 133

My phone started having this problem right after the last update, I also keep loosing signal with Verizon, the last few days it has gotten worse. Today it shut off abruptly and would not start back up, I plugged into charger and I took a couple minutes to show it was charging, when it got to 5% I turned the phone on and within a few seconds the phone showed it was 60% charged and 100% charged after 15 minutes.
I did everything you said in the post and still having issue
Justin6
Paper Tape
Views: 19,068
Message 10 of 133

Check your system updates.  109.34.4 was the one that I think screwed up the phone.  After sending the phone back to Lenova mu battery would last 4 days.  It updated once to 109.34.12 June 13.  Still have good battery life.  One thing I did when I got the phone back was change update settings in Google play to NOT automatically update.  When I followed the instructions to wipe out the phone prior to sending it in, I let it sit on my desk with nothing running.  The battery was fried.  It still shut off.  

Warranty claim with Lenova.  I had my old phone and reactivated it while waiting for repair.

Top Kudoed Authors