Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NTwoOo
Punch Card
Views: 286
Message 1 of 5

Onboard DAC and HiRes audio support

I was wandering which DAC is in the Z2 Force if if supports HiRes audio. Using USB Audio Player Pro and viewing the logs have proven inconclusive. Information on the internet is limited and not clear. Seeing that older versions supported HiRes audio and the chip was mentioned to be the Motorola XMCS1000 I would suspect the Z2 Force also to support this feature. If this feature was available I was curious what the settings are that people use in USB Audio Player Pro to get the most out of the DAC.

OK. Found some info. With ADB I looked in /proc and found msm8998-cs47l35c in the audio sections. Searching with this brought me to the following hardware information.  The cs47l35 and cs35l33 mentioned in the sheet are both Cirrus Logic components. The cs47l35 is the DAC that supports 192kHz@24bit and the cs35l35 is most probably a class D amplifier.

NTwoOo
Punch Card
Views: 118
Message 2 of 5

Re: Onboard DAC and HiRes audio support

Allright. Some research has been done and the following is the coclusion:

The sound output with USB Audio Player Pro states that Direct is used with 192kHz, but playng a chirp signal from 10kHz to 20kHz shows an attenuation above 19kHz. The signal is thus not played at the full bandwith of the internal HiRes DAC.

The dev of UAAP stated that without a direct section in the audio_policy.conf the DAC will not be accessed and play on the full capacity.

The dev stated that this section is usually not included if the driver lacks support. So even though the hardware can support 192kHz at 24bit it is not utilisable...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 113
Message 3 of 5

Hi NTwoOo,

Thanks for your interest. I can't guarantee a concrete answer for this, but I can ask around. I'll let you know once confirmed. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

NTwoOo
Punch Card
Views: 108
Message 4 of 5

Hi Rich, thanks for that.  It would be super if the full functionality of the hardware is available. Many audiophiles seem to enjoy exploiting this functionality. Hopefully it is simple to deploy.

The end stage class d amp looks like what is powering the speaker without battery. It is clearly quite capable as well.

BTW  the play2 also has a HiRes DAC and could benefit by any changes.

TD99
What's DOS?
Views: 42
Message 5 of 5

I just registered to say that I would like to know this as well. I've been shopping for a dedicated Hi-Res Audio Player, but if my Z2 Force can already process and handle Hi-Res audio, then no need.

Top Kudoed Authors