10-22-2016

US

18 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 181 of 986

Re: Quiet notifications moto z

2016-10-28, 19:48 PM

I couldn't agree more. I love android and this phone is surprisingly great but I may switch to iPhone if this issue doesn't get fixed with the Nougat update. 

Options

121 Posts

10-13-2016

US

178 Signins

1786 Page Views

• Views: 1786
  • Message 182 of 986

2016-10-29, 9:52 AM

wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I love android and this phone is surprisingly great but I may switch to iPhone if this issue doesn't get fixed with the Nougat update. 

One of the Iphones had some really good hardware and I'm surprised! I thought the Z Play had pretty decent hardware (which it does for mid range), but should be at least on par with the regular Z in my opinion. Especially, since the Z Play had to be thicker to have the 3.5mm jack. Easier to shove a chipset into it.

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."
-Bruce Lee
Options

17 Posts

09-15-2016

US

60 Signins

476 Page Views

• Views: 476
  • Message 183 of 986

2016-10-29, 14:16 PM

Hello All,

I have been lurking and watching this board for weeks since my last post. My last post I had given up. My husband and I were going to give our phones back and try something else. And truthfully we still are. But I had an idea, and we keep holding onto the hope that Nougat will fix everything because we love these phones.

But let me tell you about what happened to us since the last post. The phones we had then, we could not hear anything. Missing calls, text messages, email notifications. Bluetooth was a nightmare to toggle back and forth from. Brand new out of the box, downloaded all the updates, downloaded all of our favorite apps, the phone was amazing. Battery could not be drained by a full work day or game play. It is fast. Not much bloatware (compared to others). We loved the phones!

Then we started noticing we were missing business calls, then emails. We checked the DND settings, turned them off.  Then I could not take Bluetooth calls in the car. Phones went back to the store. 

Second set of phones. Downloaded updates and apps. Phones were good for a week. Sounds started to suck again!

Once again we returned the phones. Got Smart! DID NOT download updates! I did download my apps. At least (and I am not kidding) 30 times a day I fight the popups on the phone to download the security update. But my phone works perfectly. I CAN HEAR EVERY NOTIFICATION AND BLUETOOTH WORKS!

So whomever at Motorola said that the sound issue is a “Feature” is full @#$%

Phone works just fine out of the box!

You screwed up a GREAT PHONE with company software updates!

I am following this board until Nougat hits the phones. If it doesn’t fix it, I am out of here for good in search of a phone that works (so I can stop fighting popups).

And by the way... we purchased our first phone Sep. 1st. so we have had 6 phones in our hands all together to use. First 4 had software updates and sound issues. Last 2 phones no updates and sounds work. Just saying.

Thanks for listening!

“Never allow a person to tell you ‘no’ who doesn’t have the power to say ‘yes.’”
Eleanor Roosevelt
Options

55 Posts

10-09-2016

US

87 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 184 of 986

2016-10-29, 17:24 PM

My phone is coming on Monday. How do I disable OTA updates? 

Options

121 Posts

10-13-2016

US

178 Signins

1786 Page Views

• Message 185 of 986

2016-10-30, 20:16 PM

wrote:

Hello All,

I have been lurking and watching this board for weeks since my last post. My last post I had given up. My husband and I were going to give our phones back and try something else. And truthfully we still are. But I had an idea, and we keep holding onto the hope that Nougat will fix everything because we love these phones.

But let me tell you about what happened to us since the last post. The phones we had then, we could not hear anything. Missing calls, text messages, email notifications. Bluetooth was a nightmare to toggle back and forth from. Brand new out of the box, downloaded all the updates, downloaded all of our favorite apps, the phone was amazing. Battery could not be drained by a full work day or game play. It is fast. Not much bloatware (compared to others). We loved the phones!

Then we started noticing we were missing business calls, then emails. We checked the DND settings, turned them off.  Then I could not take Bluetooth calls in the car. Phones went back to the store. 

Second set of phones. Downloaded updates and apps. Phones were good for a week. Sounds started to suck again!

Once again we returned the phones. Got Smart! DID NOT download updates! I did download my apps. At least (and I am not kidding) 30 times a day I fight the popups on the phone to download the security update. But my phone works perfectly. I CAN HEAR EVERY NOTIFICATION AND BLUETOOTH WORKS!

whomever at Motorola said that the sound issue is a “Feature” is full @#$%

Phone works just fine out of the box!

You screwed up a GREAT PHONE with company software updates!

I am following this board until Nougat hits the phones. If it doesn’t fix it, I am out of here for good in search of a phone that works (so I can stop fighting popups).

And by the way... we purchased our first phone Sep. 1st. so we have had 6 phones in our hands all together to use. First 4 had software updates and sound issues. Last 2 phones no updates and sounds work. Just saying.

Thanks for listening!

There is a way to turn off the Software update notifications. Just go through Sounds and notifications and the option is near the bottom. I'm not sure if there's a way to disable updates all together.

Crappy thing about not getting the updates, are the security fixes which should be vital, and one of the updates helped with call signal to decrease battery consumption. To me those benefits outweigh the sounds, but of course, my livelihood doesn't depend on it either like others.

-Bruce Lee
Options

22 Posts

10-09-2016

GB

117 Signins

478 Page Views

• Views: 478
  • Message 186 of 986

2016-10-30, 20:40 PM

I have just purchased the moto projector, and am watching a movie on it, it really is the dogs bollox.I know people are having issues but I am completely overwhelmed with this phone, personally I'm not having a problem, I hope things get sorted for the people who are, the phone is the bomb...

wrote:

After the Aug security update all of my notifications are very quiet.  The volume is turned all the way up and music and video play loud. It is just the notifications. Even going into mail and trying to sample other types of notifications they are all barely audible. I have cleared cache and don't factory reset. Anyone else?

Options

34 Posts

08-24-2013

US

53 Signins

563 Page Views

• Views: 563
  • Message 187 of 986

2016-10-31, 5:11 AM

Just a side note concerning volume . . . I just ran a test . 

When in a phone call, when I click on the speaker phone icon it takes about one and a half seconds for the speaker to power up. 

Maybe Lmoto chose to handle the hardware in a way that saves battery , which creates a situation where the speaker system needs to be powered up . . .  

Options

121 Posts

10-13-2016

US

178 Signins

1786 Page Views

• Message 188 of 986

2016-11-01, 5:40 AM

wrote:

Just a side note concerning volume . . . I just ran a test . 

When in a phone call, when I click on the speaker phone icon it takes about one and a half seconds for the speaker to power up. 

Maybe Lmoto chose to handle the hardware in a way that saves battery , which creates a situation where the speaker system needs to be powered up . . .  

Even if that was the case, there's still no excuse... They already have one of the best batteries on the market, and it's only going to get better with Android 7. The easiest thing for them to do at the moment, is giving us an option to turn off escalating ringtone in the notifications menu. That alone may fix everything, but I'd rather it be gone all together.

I have custom made ringtones that were not meant for decreased volume, and a escalated volume. My current notification sound I had to re-edit in order for it to be audible. It was near deafening on my Droid Mini. Now it's so loud it shows on its peaks in Sound Forge, that it's clipping. I had to reduce clipping to a minimum, so the audio didn't  sounds like pure crap, and IT IS STILL NOT LOUD ENOUGH!

I'm getting very tried of this issue, of I'm sorry, "feature", and it needs to be addressed properly sometime soon. Its been months...

-Bruce Lee
Options

68 Posts

01-19-2015

US

81 Signins

800 Page Views

• Views: 800
  • Message 189 of 986

2016-11-01, 15:20 PM

As a longtime Moto fan I am very disappointed to learn of this issue with the Z, and have been holding out on purchasing until this is sorted out. As it appears it may be a while yet I have a few questions so that I may assess how (or if) one can adapt or "live with" this condition until Lenovo provides a fix:

- It seems that the phone is fine until the offending update is applied, correct?

- Will every phone with this update be affected with the notification volume issue, or only some?

- The workaround works until the phone is restarted/rebooted, correct?

- If I have a smartwatch (Huawei) set to provide notifications will I receive notifications via my watch correctly? If so this becomes much easier to deal with until a fix is provided.

Thank you for any  help you can provide, I would really like to pull the trigger on this phone with the deals that are out there now but don't want instant buyer's remorse without knowing what I am getting myself into.

Cheers,

Matt

Options

64 Posts

03-25-2010

US

342 Signins

3330 Page Views

• Views: 3330
  • Message 190 of 986

2016-11-01, 16:54 PM
I have a Fitbit which does give call notification and ID correctly. I also have used the app. Disable Ascending Ringtones which was suggested earlier in this thread. The app does work for me.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete