Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Force
All Forum Topics
Options

88 Posts

05-24-2014

Ukraine

121 Signins

1113 Page Views

• Views: 1113
  • Message 261 of 986

Re: Quiet notifications moto z

2016-11-23, 16:04 PM

There's no such issues on other phones.

I suspect, this issue is with codec or audio driver as it impacts most of the sound. Even in loudspeaker test the volume is low at the beginning.

Options

88 Posts

05-24-2014

Ukraine

121 Signins

1113 Page Views

• Views: 1113
  • Message 262 of 986

2016-11-23, 21:06 PM

It looks like the problem is with audio routing:

I made a video: https://youtu.be/CV2_uXw8wLg

First I'm changing the volume with volume buttons, and they are changing the volume of multimedia. And in this case the notifications are quiet.

Then I fix quiet notifications with Device Help app (0:22)

At 0:27 you can notice that the app introduced the phone call volume slider (I didn't press any volume button).

0:56 - and now, when I press volume buttons during multimedia playback, the phone switches to phone call volume contorol. And the only way to fix this - is to reboot the phone.

Options

87 Posts

09-05-2016

United States of America

329 Signins

1067 Page Views

• Views: 1067
  • Message 263 of 986

2016-11-23, 21:18 PM

I have come to the conclusion that the escalating ring tone is the new norm, going back for awhile per some Google research. The notification issue though seems to be specific to this phone. To test the theory that it's related to the escalating ring tones I made a notification with about 5 seconds of silence at the beginning then about 4 seconds of a f1 car (a notification that I often use)... The volume never escalates during a notification. 

Escalating ring tones I can grow to live with, but the notification is a issue that MOTOROLA needs to resolve! 

Options

55 Posts

10-09-2016

United States of America

87 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 264 of 986

2016-11-23, 21:24 PM

wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that the escalating ring tone is the new norm, going back for awhile per some Google research. The notification issue though seems to be specific to this phone. To test the theory that it's related to the escalating ring tones I made a notification with about 5 seconds of silence at the beginning then about 4 seconds of a f1 car (a notification that I often use)... The volume never escalates during a notification. 

Escalating ring tones I can grow to live with, but the notification is a issue that MOTOROLA needs to resolve! 

If we can root the phone, would there be a specific configuration file that can be edited? 

Options

9 Posts

11-29-2016

United States of America

32 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 265 of 986

2016-11-29, 1:41 AM

I just got 2 new Moto Z's 2 days ago from Verizon.  Both phones ran into this issue after an update was installed.  I called Motorola and in an attempt to resolve the issue.  I actually wound up call them 3 times because I could not believe what I was being told.  All 3 reps told me that this is not a known issue and gave me 3 options; return the phones to Verizon for an exchange, mail the phones to them for repair or for $25 I could get "like new" replacement phones.  I told them that my research and testing tells me the phones themselves are in perfect working order and it appears that the real issue is a software issue.  I even pointed out this forum on their website but they refused to recognize the issue and insisted that I get the phones repaired or replaced.

Personally I think they programmed the phones to act like this on purpose because of a poor design.  Let me explain. The design flaw is fact that the loud speaker is also the earpiece speaker.  Motorola, for whatever reason, did not put any other speakers on the phone so the earpiece speaker must perform both tasks.  Think about putting the cell phones loud speaker on your ear and playing at full volume.  Her is one the scenarios that lead me to this conclusion.  Lots of parents give their children their phones to make them happy.  Children pretend to talk on the phones because they want to be like their parents.  If the phone call ringtone starts at full volume or the notification ringtone sounds a full volume it could damage the child's hearing.  The ringtone starting off soft was a compromise and gives you a warning of what's to come.   Motorola added this adjustment with a security update because they would rather cause an inconvenience to its phone users than face a lawsuit or a recall.

I think this is why they have not acknowledged the issue in any way.  Even with so many people upset.  At the very least they should add this to the menu as an option.  Have it set low as a default and have an option to increase to volume to it full potential with a user warning attached.  Similar to the ear phone volume warning.

VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

Options

51 Posts

09-27-2016

United States of America

94 Signins

571 Page Views

• Views: 571
  • Message 266 of 986

2016-11-29, 2:05 AM

I have waited on the Nug. update to let a few other "guinea-pigs" try it 1st. Other then Not fixing our sound problems, how is the update doing. Has it improved the phone any? Anything better or worse? Is it better then MarshMallow? Feed back

Options

150 Posts

11-14-2016

United States of America

251 Signins

3652 Page Views

• Views: 3652
  • Message 267 of 986

2016-11-29, 2:12 AM

It's alright so far. Nothing really changed that much. Quick toggles are useful plus holding the icon actually does something now. Only annoying thing that got removed was the ability to switch between 2.4 and 5ghz wifi. I think i might have battery drain but not too sure on that. If you use google play music the widget when you play music is bigger. Settings display information before you click on them.

Options

12 Posts

09-22-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

114 Signins

659 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 659
  • Message 268 of 986

2016-11-29, 20:20 PM

BINGO !!! ALL THE PIECES FALL INTO PLACE NOW!!!!

JON1823 Has hit the nail on the head !!!...This isn't a fault.. This is a feature !!! The lack of speaker means the earphone has got to kick off quietly or there is a risk that someone may get deafened if they had their ear at the speakerphone (after all, that's what it's there for)... Moto have put this in to prevent that scenario... and to avoid law suits...

This would explain why, after 27 pages on this thread, there is zilch from any mod about getting this fixed... because it's designed that way. I would imagine Moto don't really want to publicise this one speaker poor feature/compromise to hinder any future sales.

As it is a feature, there is also sadly no chance it will EVER get fixed. Moto aren't going to open the potential gates to getting complaints from people who have been whacked with a deafening chime with their ear at the speaker.

So it seems that we are going to be stuck with this forever more.... from memory there is an app that defeats ascending tones... might dig that out and give it a whirr, but, cannot see any official fix coming...especially as the great hope of "Nougat" failed to deliver...

Options

55 Posts

10-09-2016

United States of America

87 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 269 of 986

2016-11-29, 20:31 PM

Can any Mods confirm this "feature"? I guess it kinda makes sense. I believe this can definitely be fixed, since everything is working good for me on July patch. Perhaps when root becomes available.... 

Options

87 Posts

09-05-2016

United States of America

329 Signins

1067 Page Views

• Views: 1067
  • Message 270 of 986

2016-11-29, 20:56 PM

I understand the increasing volume on the ring tone.... This still doesn't explain why the notification volume has been cut in half, if not less, and it seems to very from there to almost inaudible at times. The sheer fact that running a speaker test changes the volume of the notifications, changes the default volume rockers to in call volume, eliminates the increasing ring tone,  among other things says that moto still has a software issue! 

I have heard of no one with a Z line of phone that doesn't have these issues after running a speaker test. I am sure they will not resolve the issue because most people buying these phones will never run a speaker test, nor will they ever know how loud their notifications could be because they are already past the July security update. I believe this to be the reason we are the few that are complaining. We are the only ones who know how bad a$$ this thing was before they f-ed it up. 

The end! 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms