Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Force
All Forum Topics
Options

29 Posts

12-04-2016

United States of America

57 Signins

463 Page Views

• Views: 463
  • Message 311 of 986

Re: Quiet notifications moto z

2016-12-04, 14:05 PM

The two times I have called I got foreign know-nothings. The last guy, "Mario" told me to send in my phone for repair. After explaining to him several times that the phone was just fine, he just continued to tell me to send my phone in. I asked for a supervisor or someone who speaks English in America and he refused to escalate the call. He just told me to call back.

Options

69 Posts

12-01-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

143 Signins

676 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 676
  • Message 312 of 986

2016-12-04, 14:14 PM

This pisses me off. Companies don't give a **bleep** anymore about customer care. They locate these call centers in faraway places where the people can't speak proper English, just to save money, and don't care that when someone calls they're not going to even understand the call center operator, nevermind get any help. Complete and utter contempt for customers is all that is shown by doing this crap. You know what? I'd rather pay a little more for my phone knowing that I will have proper support with it rather than get the phone cheaper and have to deal with people I can't understand. Well that's my rant for today!

Options

51 Posts

09-27-2016

United States of America

94 Signins

571 Page Views

• Views: 571
  • Message 313 of 986

2016-12-04, 15:11 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The customer service at Motorola is so bad, unknowledgeable and so rude that you almost wonder if you're even talking to someone at Motorola. Sounds more like you're calling a boiler room somewhere that's trying to scam you out of your phone or your credit card. Apparently this has all happened since Lenovo took them over, because it didn't used to be this bad. But you will get no help from them whatsoever!

Options

87 Posts

09-05-2016

United States of America

329 Signins

1067 Page Views

• Views: 1067
  • Message 314 of 986

2016-12-04, 15:40 PM

Every time I have called, I have spoken to numerous levels of tech support and management. I have gotten everything from "we are escalating this issue to the team" to "its not us it is google". 

Not going to get anywhere with them. But as I posted earlier.... the music app remaining open and song paused is working without any issues. Doesn't seem to be effecting battery much at all, and I have LOUD NOTIFICATIONS AND NO DELAY IN RING TONES!!! 

Options

51 Posts

09-27-2016

United States of America

94 Signins

571 Page Views

• Views: 571
  • Message 315 of 986

2016-12-04, 18:29 PM

Now I've also noticed that I'm having issues trying to connect to Wi-Fi with the new Android new get update. When connecting to public Wi-Fi, like at Dunkin Donuts, it doesn't seem to give you the link in the notification screen that takes you to the browser to accept the terms and conditions to actually finish turning the Wi-Fi on? I never had this problem on the old marshmallow operating system, Wi-Fi work perfectly. 

Options

31 Posts

12-04-2016

United States of America

13 Signins

467 Page Views

• Views: 467
  • Message 316 of 986

2016-12-04, 21:06 PM

Hello all. 

So I've had the Moto Z Droid for 2 days now and I was going to start a new thread combining my first impressions and experiences with the devices with a couple serious failings, one of which is this notification volume issue. Since it is heavily discussed here, I will post the relevant part here and not double up on the forum with the same issue, though I do believe I have some valuable input that would benefit from a new thread. I have been modding and custom building my own Android Roms for years now, volume issues on AOSP, Cyanogenmod, and similarly based Android Source builds have been known....and easily dealt with.

I am completely self taught and have no actual coding "experience", but when my users complained about sound being quiet on my Note 2 builds(as an example, source code built a rom with low audio levels), well, I/we fixed it in like a couple days, done, and for free siding a couple one dollar donations.

One can see the work and how "simple" it is to modify these sound profiles with the source code at hand.

a couple examples of us easily modifying the sound levels to work properly.

https://github.com/sleshepic/android_device_samsung_t0lte/commit/484c52234470ca207d35c7cb18f5a1e57c8fd8f7

https://github.com/sleshepic/device_samsung_t0ltecdma/commits/jb-mr1

And most of these Roms I had to modify the Sound in one way or another:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/search.php?searchid=430722198

Anyway, so theres a few things going on here.

It's a shame for the environment, resources, and simple practicality that a SINGLE Moto Z or Z Force was returned because of this notification volume issue on Nougat and simply "swapped out" - a failure at Lenovo, at Verizon, and at the salesperson level at whatever store said customer needlessly swapped the device out at - what needs to be addressed on a broader level is that 99% of the time such damage and frivolous waste is cause by software NOT hardware glitches that are not only denied by or unknown to those that are making money off the product/software, but almost always easily fixable with a day of work and a dose of honesty. The reason, here, this is a shame is because the problem is such an easy fix with an easy flow of solutions.

First is to deal with the rumor and/or fact that the issue is due to a purposeful coding to stop notifications and ringers from harming the users ear if they are using the device(namely phone to ear in call) while a notification comes in(because it is now a combined speaker and it is an attempt to mitigate risk etc etc). IF this is the case, there are two very very simple solutions that should take your build team all of a day MAX both to complete. First is to simply redo your graduated/ascending ringer mod to punch in more quickly, or perhaps just make the phone vibrate twice quickly then proceed with ringtone(....this is not hard, and I dont know much). OR, a much better and "trust the customers intelligence" solution would be to simply write in an option box in the sound section of the settings.apk for the user to OPT-OUT of the graduated ringer. "checking this box I hereby waive my right to sue or claim damages from a sore eardrum if a notification comes in and it's.....the volume it is supposed to be". (if I can add my Ficeto shells to my settings menus, controlling various apps and their settings menus with an easy xml/headers addition, I think you guys/gals can create an on/off option for your code in the sound menu considering it's much simpler, if you can't I can refer several people who can)

Ok, so that's scenario #1, where it is an intentional code to save our precious eardrums(and within this explanation is why some have days of it working and not working etc, but that would be digressing)

Scenario #2 is that it is either not an intentional mod and is AOSP code(which totally happens but is easily fixable) or a combination of the two. Either case of scenario two is EASILY FIXABLE. Even with an ascending ringer it would be so easy to correct this but I'm on Verizon and our bootloader is locked and we dont have a custom recovery. 

So all this being said, what is embarassing, Lenovo, is that without any classical training or experience I feel I could troubleshoot and fix this issue in a few days to a week if I had the source code and a custom recovery on my Moto Z. 

Honestly, you need to cook up a patch. and get it out, this is embarrassing. 

What I would have said in my new thread, to begin with, was that before the two issues I encountered with this device(the other being a very easily scratched camera glass), I was blown away and am still by the device. I have fixed my own device of the problem through workarounds but feel for everyone else, ALOT, I am now totally unaffected by the issue and LOVE the device, and want to be someone who roots for Moto and Lenovo, but cant stand seeing people hate on and return an amazing piece of work. After all this crap I wrote, guys/gals you made an AMAZING device, you deserves serious Kudos from a sammy fanboy of sorts, I Love it, I just cant believe you are dropping the ball on this simple issue. (if there is more to it, please just be honest with customers, it goes a long way and at least increases retention, I promise). I gushed to my buddies about your device, I made a video of two of the mods and shared with various people, and am reviewing and going to contribute postively on the forums, but this needs to be dealt with. On XDA and Team Venum we worked for free and occasional donations(which I give to charity like a few others), and if a user complained about an issue we fixed it, if not only for our pride - theres nothing like a bugless OS.

And lastly(perhaps this is a new thread but it is related), am I missing a way to revert OS Versions? On Sammy we had the lovely Odin or Heimdall or Kies, and even on the ghastly iPhone they can sometimes unshackle themselves to a previous OS. Is there a way to do that on Moto? I'd gladly go back to Marshmallow or heck Gingerbread, for people to stop returning devices uselessly when it is totally fine. (its like returning an amazing high end vehicle because the dealership installed the wrong oil filter, but wont acknowledge the problem so people exchange cars because of it)

To wrap up, this thing is awesome, I love it, most amazing innovative device I've seen or used in years and more should know about it by far, you need not worry that the attention to design, innovation, and detail is overlooked, BUT...I'm sure as heck not getting rid of my rooted Note 4 for the next two weeks during my return period to see if there's any movement. to continue with the car analogy its like I have two cars, one a couple years old but I can open the hood, the second is brand new and awesome but has a faulty oil filter and I cant open the hood to change my problem. Either fix the filter or let us open the hood.

For the first time since my HTC Evo I bought a phone I knew I wouldn't be able to root and modify because of the promised near Vanilla AOSP Android experience, I never thought once I updated to Nougat there'd be an audio issue most XDA modders can fix "in their basements". 

I'm tickled impressed, and sorely disappointed, within two days time.

Options

69 Posts

12-01-2016

143 Signins

676 Page Views

• Message 317 of 986

2016-12-04, 21:21 PM

Well yeah, like you've said, basically this sound issue is something that should be an easy fix if Lenovo wanted to fix it, so we can only assume that Lenovo doesn't want to fix it. Why they don't want to fix it is a question that will probably remain unanswered. They've lost customers over this simple issue, and also future custom, as people will not want to buy Lenovo products again after this fiasco. Well done Lenovo...

Options

17 Posts

09-15-2016

United States of America

60 Signins

476 Page Views

• Views: 476
  • Message 318 of 986

2016-12-04, 22:18 PM

Hello all,

Well...

Couldn't take the problems with the phone nor the lack of response from the company any more.

After painfully switching through 6 Moto Z Force Droids phones hoping it would get better took the phone back to the store and went for the LG V20.

So I am out of here! Taking myself off the mailing list! Moto will not get another penny from me ever again!

“Never allow a person to tell you ‘no’ who doesn’t have the power to say ‘yes.’”
Eleanor Roosevelt
Options

31 Posts

12-04-2016

United States of America

13 Signins

467 Page Views

• Views: 467
  • Message 319 of 986

2016-12-04, 22:21 PM

edited...

Options

69 Posts

12-01-2016

143 Signins

676 Page Views

• Message 320 of 986

2016-12-04, 22:25 PM

Uhm, yeah, I replied to your post earlier but now your post has gone. I have no idea what happened to it. Tbh I don't think Lenovo has deleted your post. If they were to delete every post in this thread that was disparaging towards them there would be about three posts left!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms