Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Force
All Forum Topics
Options

69 Posts

12-01-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

143 Signins

676 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 676
  • Message 391 of 986

Re: Quiet notifications moto z

2016-12-05, 13:34 PM

Hey everyone. I'd just like to apologise again for what happened with Sleshepic earlier. I have little doubt that he genuinely came here to help at first, but when he realised that his post had gone, he quickly seemed to lose the plot. My attempt to point that out to him and calm him down only seemed to tip him further over the edge. Maybe some of my replies to him once he had lost it were just 'fanning the flames' in hindsight and prolonging everyone's agony. He reacted very strangely to the whole situation, and I let myself get dragged into it. Sorry to everyone that had to endure our little spat. 

Options

55 Posts

10-09-2016

United States of America

87 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 392 of 986

2016-12-05, 13:44 PM

Hey Nickname, at the very least, we added 10 more pages to the thread. Maybe if we reach 100, that'll be the magic number that triggers a fix from Lenovo! 

Options

69 Posts

12-01-2016

143 Signins

676 Page Views

• Message 393 of 986

2016-12-05, 14:05 PM

Hahha. Well that's a great theory, but i get the feeling that even if we hit 1000 pages Lenovo still wouldn't do anything.

Options

54 Posts

03-23-2015

Brazil

159 Signins

1785 Page Views

• Views: 1785
  • Message 394 of 986

2016-12-05, 14:30 PM

Greetings from Brazil.

I've purchased an Moto Z last september and here we're expriencing the same issue like all of you.

Exactly on the same way, Lenovo / Motorola says "it's normal blablabla".

Shame. 

A group of owners is proceeding in court requesting the immediate interruption of sales until problem is fixed. If they don't present a solution, Lenovo / Motorola will be obligated to repurchase all devices sold by the price on receipt.

Just for curiosity, due taxes, retail version costs arround US$990 down here.

I believe that's the only way to force them to do something.

Good luck to all you guys. 

Regards.

Options

51 Posts

09-27-2016

United States of America

94 Signins

571 Page Views

• Views: 571
  • Message 395 of 986

2016-12-05, 14:52 PM

Tlucent,

That's how you get things done. It's ashame that it has to get to that point. You would think that they would want their phones to work as goid as possible in order to capture the largest market sare possible (especially w/ the problems Samsung had)  It's seems like something they would want to fix. But i guess not. Keep us posted on your  outcome.

Options

1086 Posts

11-15-2011

United States of America

2115 Signins

18943 Page Views

• Views: 18943
  • Message 396 of 986

2016-12-05, 18:14 PM

Interestingly, when I have my  JBL Speaker mod hooked up to my (Z Force) the notification levels are just fine.  Unfortunately, one can't run around with the JBL always hooked up.

Options

9 Posts

11-29-2016

United States of America

32 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 397 of 986

2016-12-05, 18:20 PM

wrote:

BINGO !!! ALL THE PIECES FALL INTO PLACE NOW!!!!

JON1823 Has hit the nail on the head !!!...This isn't a fault.. This is a feature !!! The lack of speaker means the earphone has got to kick off quietly or there is a risk that someone may get deafened if they had their ear at the speakerphone (after all, that's what it's there for)... Moto have put this in to prevent that scenario... and to avoid law suits...

This would explain why, after 27 pages on this thread, there is zilch from any mod about getting this fixed... because it's designed that way. I would imagine Moto don't really want to publicise this one speaker poor feature/compromise to hinder any future sales.

As it is a feature, there is also sadly no chance it will EVER get fixed. Moto aren't going to open the potential gates to getting complaints from people who have been whacked with a deafening chime with their ear at the speaker.

So it seems that we are going to be stuck with this forever more.... from memory there is an app that defeats ascending tones... might dig that out and give it a whirr, but, cannot see any official fix coming...especially as the great hope of "Nougat" failed to deliver...

Thank you falsivas for your being the only person who agnolaged the real issue.

Options

9 Posts

11-29-2016

United States of America

32 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 398 of 986

2016-12-05, 18:31 PM

I just got 2 new Moto Z's 2 days ago from Verizon.  Both phones ran into this issue after an update was installed.  I called Motorola and in an attempt to resolve the issue.  I actually wound up call them 3 times because I could not believe what I was being told.  All 3 reps told me that this is not a known issue and gave me 3 options; return the phones to Verizon for an exchange, mail the phones to them for repair or for $25 I could get "like new" replacement phones.  I told them that my research and testing tells me the phones themselves are in perfect working order and it appears that the real issue is a software issue.  I even pointed out this forum on their website but they refused to recognize the issue and insisted that I get the phones repaired or replaced.

Personally I think they programmed the phones to act like this on purpose because of a poor design.  Let me explain. The design flaw is fact that the loud speaker is also the earpiece speaker.  Motorola, for whatever reason, did not put any other speakers on the phone so the earpiece speaker must perform both tasks.  Think about putting the cell phones loud speaker on your ear and playing at full volume.  Her is one the scenarios that lead me to this conclusion.  Lots of parents give their children their phones to make them happy.  Children pretend to talk on the phones because they want to be like their parents.  If the phone call ringtone starts at full volume or the notification ringtone sounds a full volume it could damage the child's hearing.  The ringtone starting off soft was a compromise and gives you a warning of what's to come.   Motorola added this adjustment with a security update because they would rather cause an inconvenience to its phone users than face a lawsuit or a recall.

I think this is why they have not acknowledged the issue in any way.  Even with so many people upset.  At the very least they should add this to the menu as an option.  Have it set low as a default and have an option to increase to volume to it full potential with a user warning attached.  Similar to the ear phone volume warning.

VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

Options

1086 Posts

11-15-2011

United States of America

2115 Signins

18943 Page Views

• Views: 18943
  • Message 399 of 986

2016-12-05, 19:02 PM

@JON1823...sorry that I didn't remember your post back on p 26, as unfortunately, this has gotten to be a rather lengthy thread.   I purchased my Z Force new in Oct '16 and my notification volume levels were just fine.  Within a day or two I received a notification to install the Sep 1 security update, which I did.  It wasn't until after I installed the Sep '16 security update that my volume levels lowered considerably.  The phone's ringtone volume was ascending from the start.  So, whether a software issue, or a new safety feature (as you suggest,) the volume levels have definitely changed.  The ascending ringtone volume was a feature in a past Moto phone, or two, and after an update, went bye bye. Moto/Verizon must be thinking differently these days about it I guess.  Cetainly, there could/should be an option for those of us who would like louder notification levels and no ascending ringtones.  We were all hoping that the update to Nougat would have changed that, but unfortunately, not the case.  I just happened to notice today, having my JBL speaker attached to my Z Force (and not having any music playing,) that the notification levels for emails and texts were quite loud.  So, the saga continues.

Options

69 Posts

12-01-2016

143 Signins

676 Page Views

• Message 400 of 986

2016-12-05, 19:16 PM
While I agree with the fact that this looks like it's never going to be fixed, I don't necessarily agree that this was a deliberate "feature" by Lenovo to avoid lawsuits. If this was a feature because of the earpiece/speaker combo then the low volume would have been there from the beginning when the phone was released, but it actually only happened after an update. I personally find it highly unlikely that Lenovo went through the whole design, manufacturing and release of the phone, and then suddenly realised that they could actually get sued and were like "oh crap, quick, let's release an update to drop the volume so we don't get our asses sued".

Also, this phone isn't the only one that uses the earpiece/speaker combo. As far as I'm aware none of the other phones that use the same setup have ridiculously low notification volume. If potentially being sued is such an issue surely every manufacturer would have to lower their volume if they use the combo? Or better still - they would avoid using the combo at all costs if it could potentially end up with a lawsuit. This theory just doesn't add up to me. Ive seen a few people suggest it lately, but I think that people are just looking for something that isn't there. Lenovo should have fixed this, and because it doesn't make sense that they haven't fixed it, or even acknowledged it yet, I think people are starting to make up their own reasons why. I'll be happy to be proven wrong further down the line if Lenovo do actually announce that this was all deliberate to stop them getting sued. But at the moment in my opinion this theory doesn't hold much water and is a very unlikely scenario. The reason why Lenovo refuses to fix it may never be known.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms