Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gary1231
Paper Tape
Views: 767
Message 1 of 5

SD card as internal storage

Droid Z Force.

Had a 128gb microSD in the phone.  Had it as portable storage.  Copied everything off it to my PC.

Upgraded to 256gb microSD.  Formatted it as internal storage.

Now I want to copy everything off the PC on to the 256gb card.  But when I plug in the phone Windows 10 only shows the phone's internal storage, not the card's internal storage.

I know I could format it as portable storage, but I wanted to be able to install apps to the card.  The Droid Z Force only has 32gb of internal storage and I constantly run close so I have to clear the device's cache and move photos/video/downloads from internal storage to the 128gb microSD.  I thought by formatting the 256gb microSD as internal storage that would largely solve my problems.

But I need a way to get everything back on the 256gb card that I had on the 128gb card.

I tried a few apps and a Windows 10 program but none of them could address this issue.

Anyone know a way of being able to copy everything from the PC to the new card, or am I going to have to reformat it as portable storage to do that?

I haven't put anything on the new card yet so I can go back and reformat it without losing anything.

If anyone has any suggestions on apps or programs or even anything I can do with the existing setup to solve my problem I'd appreciate it.  I have Windows 10 on the PC and Android 8.0.0.  The Droid Z Force isn't going to get any updates beyond 8.0.0 and Lenovo won't unlock the bootloader (which I think they should do if they aren't going to continue to support the phone) so I can't flash any other roms to it.

Thanks.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 759
Message 2 of 5

Re: SD card as internal storage

@gary1231 wrote:

Droid Z Force.

Had a 128gb microSD in the phone.  Had it as portable storage.  Copied everything off it to my PC.

Upgraded to 256gb microSD.  Formatted it as internal storage.

Now I want to copy everything off the PC on to the 256gb card.  But when I plug in the phone Windows 10 only shows the phone's internal storage, not the card's internal storage.

I know I could format it as portable storage, but I wanted to be able to install apps to the card.  The Droid Z Force only has 32gb of internal storage and I constantly run close so I have to clear the device's cache and move photos/video/downloads from internal storage to the 128gb microSD.  I thought by formatting the 256gb microSD as internal storage that would largely solve my problems.

But I need a way to get everything back on the 256gb card that I had on the 128gb card.

I tried a few apps and a Windows 10 program but none of them could address this issue.

Anyone know a way of being able to copy everything from the PC to the new card, or am I going to have to reformat it as portable storage to do that?

I haven't put anything on the new card yet so I can go back and reformat it without losing anything.

If anyone has any suggestions on apps or programs or even anything I can do with the existing setup to solve my problem I'd appreciate it.  I have Windows 10 on the PC and Android 8.0.0.  The Droid Z Force isn't going to get any updates beyond 8.0.0 and Lenovo won't unlock the bootloader (which I think they should do if they aren't going to continue to support the phone) so I can't flash any other roms to it.

Thanks.

When you format as internal, the phone sees the SD card and real internal storage as one big block of internal storage. That is the way it is. You can't easily pick and choose where stuff goes. Formatting as internal is really made for when someone runs out of space for apps. 

Since your data is portable I would just reformat as portable, and copy data back on. Cards formatted this way are more reliable, and recoverable. Internal format cards are encrypted. If you have to reset, or move the card, you lose access to the data. Internal formatted cards have higher failure rates, so i would never pick this option unless i was forced too. 

Verizon dictates bootloader unlock terms to Motorola. Verizon is the one preventing this, not Motorola. Some other carriers don't restrict bootloader unlock (Tmobile, Sprint) on many of their branded phones. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 758
Message 3 of 5

There is some limited ability to move data between real internal and adopted internal If you use the page under settings-storage and find a file that you moved to the phone, there is some way to move that file between internal and sd card (again, talking about card formatted as adopted).

But from what i can tell, you would have to move data over in chunks, then transfer it around internally. There is no way to say "put all this new data on my adopted sd card".

I think Google's adopted storage is too difficult to manage and as i mentioned before has stability and endurance issues. If you do get it all setup the way like, it will likely have a higher chance of failure. Have backups.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
gary1231
Paper Tape
Views: 739
Message 4 of 5

I will just reformat it as portable storage. 

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. 

gary1231
Paper Tape
Views: 737
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reply.

Although I wonder why Verizon wouldn't offer to unlock the bootloader now that they aren't supporting the device any more. I would at least like to put 8.1 on it if it won't support 9.

Top Kudoed Authors