Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crimsonanchors
Paper Tape
Views: 2,704
Message 1 of 44

Speaker issue

I'm having an issue where after streaming Spotify through Bluetooth in my car, when I switch back to the phone speaker it will make a popping sound before anything that plays a sound (ex. Icon clicks, keyboard sounds, YouTube etc), the only fix I can find is to reboot the phone and it will go away until I play music in the car. 

tubuckeye29
SCSI Port
Views: 2,679
Message 2 of 44

Re: Speaker issue

Sorry: wish I had something to offer solution-wise here. But while my car does have bluetooth phone + text-to-speech for SMS (which seem to work fine), it doesn't let me stream music from my phone; so I cant test this to try and duplicate the problem.

I did notice oddly that when I imported my contacts to the phone and went through them to assign custom ringtones, as I selected a tone it played/demoed at a very low volume. I would have to tap twice to make it demo the selected ringtone at normal volume so I could be sure I chose the one intended. So I think mine's a different example to add with yours to indicate some issue software-wise in regards to the speaker..... Hipefully more people have experienced the same exact problem as yours & will comment so this will reach the attention of the experts so a fix can be identified..

JBomb88
Punch Card
Views: 2,596
Message 3 of 44

I notice my speaker makes a little "pop" noise whenever it starts to make a sound - even if the phone is on mute.   I do use my phone daily in my car with bluetooth, so I haven't considered this as a trigger to the noise.

I can get the noise to trigger consistently by pulling down to refresh inside the twitter app.  Is anybody else finding this result?

Crimsonanchors
Paper Tape
Views: 2,600
Message 4 of 44

That exactly the issue i was having... I also started having wifi connection problems where it would just drop out of wifi for a couple of seconds then reconnect every hour or so ... I ended up returning the phone and going back to my iPhone, I'll wait for the new iPhone in September instead.

MCN1SMO
Punch Card
Views: 2,545
Message 5 of 44

Ive had the same issue since day 1.  once it connects to bluetooth via car standalone speaker ect and plays audio(ive tried sirusxm app and google music)...then when disconnected the speaker will make a "snap" / "pop" before any sound is played be it music to even a notification sound. its any time the speaker would be activated. the  refresh pull down in the twitter app is the best way to test this as you can make the sound over and over.   Once phone is rebooted it goes  away until bluetooth is reconnected.    my girlfriend just got the  regular Moto Z ( none Force) and hers wont do it under the same exact conditions so  it looks like its a Force only issue weirdly enough.  Ive noticed while connected to bluetooth the phone itself does not make the snap sound its only FTER the bluetooth is disconnected and audio is reverted back to the phone speaker.  it will make the snap sound with all voume turned off and it makes it just the first time a the speaker would be activated. so you would ear it only at the first of a song or a video but its annoying  as it happens before all phone sounds so notifications or other phone tones really exaggerate the issue.

I called motorola tech support and reported the bug. they hadnt heard of the issue and escalated it to a higher department. they seemed appreciative of the report so after seeing others with the issue maybe they can easily replicate it. because of that  I see no reason in swapping out my phone  only to get another that does the same thing as it seems like an overall software glitch in the Force itself not just a bad phone I happened to unbox.   seems like a patch update is needed.

not sure what the cause is but one theory was something maybe with DRM but I dont know enough about that to say one way or the other. not sure how or why that would even affect the speaker.

only troubleshooting ive done was a network reset that cleared all the saved bluetooth but that did nothing.  havent tried a factory reset but my guess is its not going to do anything.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 2,499
Message 6 of 44

@MCN1SMO wrote:

Ive had the same issue since day 1.  once it connects to bluetooth via car standalone speaker ect and plays audio(ive tried sirusxm app and google music)...then when disconnected the speaker will make a "snap" / "pop" before any sound is played be it music to even a notification sound. its any time the speaker would be activated. the  refresh pull down in the twitter app is the best way to test this as you can make the sound over and over.   Once phone is rebooted it goes  away until bluetooth is reconnected.    my girlfriend just got the  regular Moto Z ( none Force) and hers wont do it under the same exact conditions so  it looks like its a Force only issue weirdly enough.  Ive noticed while connected to bluetooth the phone itself does not make the snap sound its only FTER the bluetooth is disconnected and audio is reverted back to the phone speaker.  it will make the snap sound with all voume turned off and it makes it just the first time a the speaker would be activated. so you would ear it only at the first of a song or a video but its annoying  as it happens before all phone sounds so notifications or other phone tones really exaggerate the issue.

I called motorola tech support and reported the bug. they hadnt heard of the issue and escalated it to a higher department. they seemed appreciative of the report so after seeing others with the issue maybe they can easily replicate it. because of that  I see no reason in swapping out my phone  only to get another that does the same thing as it seems like an overall software glitch in the Force itself not just a bad phone I happened to unbox.   seems like a patch update is needed.

not sure what the cause is but one theory was something maybe with DRM but I dont know enough about that to say one way or the other. not sure how or why that would even affect the speaker.

only troubleshooting ive done was a network reset that cleared all the saved bluetooth but that did nothing.  havent tried a factory reset but my guess is its not going to do anything.

I'll get someone to look at this. Can you post details of the car kits or car make and models?

I am not 100% clear on how often the popping sound occurs after the BT disconnect. Is it once, unless you deliberately do the Twitter refresh? Or does it happen all the time until a reboot?

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
MCN1SMO
Punch Card
Views: 2,486
Message 7 of 44

Hi.  ive  done even more investigating and ive now found out  so additional info.   the snap/pop sound will happen the first time sound is played until the reboot  so you can refresh the twitter 100 times and you will get the snap 100 times.

it happens once certain streaming services are used like google play ( the radio stations and the SiriusXM app)   

I dont think it has to do with the actual bluetooth device itself as ive  connected to both my Nissan GTR and Nissan Juke but it did it with my totally unrelated Bose standalone speaker.   So I would ivestigate the relationship on the blutooth and the streaming services first since the snap sound once BT disconnects. I think its specifically streaming services like the google music and XM I mentioned.  the  person who started this thread said it did it with Spotify so the patten seems to be streaming music

I hope its a simple patch as its very annoying to have to reboot the phone ever time it disconncets to avoid a snap sound before any audio is played.  ive also confirmed the regular Moto Z does not do it under the same conditions  its specifcally the Force

hope this info puts you guys on the right track for a fix

MCN1SMO
Punch Card
Views: 2,474
Message 8 of 44

here is a video of the snap sound..

https://youtu.be/cHZ8jOQTj58

this is the exact process you do to create it... connect to BT   then  disconnect and it will stay around until a reboot

again im just using twitter as an example as it has a refresh sound but the snap is there any time a sound is made on any application or notification.   so at first you will here no snap sound then I connect to BT and quickly stream a song on XM.  once disconnected you will hear the sound even with all volume is turned off ( that is the key no volume is required)

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 2,461
Message 9 of 44

@MCN1SMO wrote:

here is a video of the snap sound..

https://youtu.be/cHZ8jOQTj58

this is the exact process you do to create it... connect to BT   then  disconnect and it will stay around until a reboot

again im just using twitter as an example as it has a refresh sound but the snap is there any time a sound is made on any application or notification.   so at first you will here no snap sound then I connect to BT and quickly stream a song on XM.  once disconnected you will hear the sound even with all volume is turned off ( that is the key no volume is required)

Thanks. I can't seem to reproduce it myself. Can you do it with system apps vs. 3rd-party apps?

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
MCN1SMO
Punch Card
Views: 2,460
Message 10 of 44

what triggers it is BT so for instance if you use google music which replaces the motorola music app over BT. you should get the sound.  once the sound is triggered it will do it on all apps 3rd party or anything. it will even do it if you go to the sound setting and pick a different ring tone or notification app.  you will hear it after you dial a number and put the phone to your ear before it dials. so once its active it happens on every sound the speaker makes.

only time it doesnt happen continuiously is if you start a song ( it does it ) but if you pause the song then start again it will not do it a second time until. so the speaker needs to go dormant then turn back on for it to happen

I was thinking about returning the phone but it seems like this would be some weird software bug that would affect all of them especially since the starter of this thread is reporting the same and ive seen it mentioned on a few other android forums with a good number of similar cases. I think its such a specific bug and some people might not notice the sound as yes its minor but shouldnt happen on a week onld $720 phone none the less

Top Kudoed Authors