Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tigerpaw
Paper Tape
Views: 12,220
Message 1 of 11

Usb-c to Usb cables for charging and data transfer

Ive ordered a dozen or so different types of USB-C data transfer cables and none work with the Moto z force or the speaker attachment does not charge or let me transfer files

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 12,211
Message 2 of 11

Re: Usb-c to Usb cables for charging and data transfer

It could be very helpful to other users if you could tell us which cables don't work.  Links would be great.

Stilly1155
Punch Card
Views: 12,202
Message 3 of 11

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 12,197
Message 4 of 11

@Stilly1155 wrote:

Did you install the Motorola Devise Manager?

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481

Motorola Device Manager is only for older phones, and doesn't work on the Z series nor any phone launched in the past several years.

The necessary drivers are now bundled with Windows.  Some versions of Windows require a Media pack download from Microsoft.  This information is available in the Get Help section of Moto's website.  A Mac requires additional software for file transfer.

Once connected, a notification appears on the phone that it is in charge only mode.  Tap the notification and change charge only to MTP or PTP.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 12,189
Message 5 of 11

I've also heard of situations where the cable is not symmetrical, even though they are supposed to be. So you might want to try turning it over to see if that changes the performance.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Highlighted
jaybot1
Token Ring
Views: 12,182
Message 6 of 11

Im using a Belkin usb-c cable with my moto z droid and it works fine.  Ill link it below incase your interested.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-IF-Certified-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B00WJSPB5A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&q...

Tigerpaw
Paper Tape
Views: 12,171
Message 7 of 11

Seems cheaper USB-A to USB-C cables are useless alot of places sell phone cords you should stay away from them as they do not work. Stopped into radio shack and picked up a Gigaware cable and it works like a champ. I do understand charging would take a beefier cable but i dont get why the other USB-C cables out there do not work

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 12,160
Message 8 of 11

There's a lot of bogus gear out there, unfortunately, but when it comes to data transfer, the cable is specific.  Almost all USB cables will charge, but not all will transfer data.  Adding to the mix now is conforming to USB-C specs.

If you have a data transfer cable that works, a USB-C to micro USB adapter could do the trick.

dvit4u
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,360
Message 9 of 11

HOW DO I TURN ONE ON AND THE OTHER ONE OFF? DATA / CHARGIN? ON A MOTO Z PLAYER.

bill-e
Punch Card
Views: 5,321
Message 10 of 11

I bought these for my Galaxy Book back in May and they work fine for charging and data transfer on the Z Force. I use one with a lower current charger to charge my phone slowly overnight and also use it with a standard USB cable to connect to my 'puter to transfer files. I'm sure it's not all that fast but it works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DU2L7RY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Top Kudoed Authors