Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Force
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

11-12-2020

Antarctica

20 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 7

VERY sensitive phone -now Intermittent Startup problem. end of the line?

2021-02-05, 23:14 PM

Hello all,

I have a Moto Z Force (XT 1650-2) running 8.0 that I recently had a battery put it- worked fine- then a connected (but still inexplicable) loss of button use followed, which I had repaired.  I had hoped by repairng this, I could ride this phone out till after COVID and go shop for a new Droid, which I would prefer.

NOW I have a strange problem; anytime the phone is even lightly dropped, say, a couple feet to a bed of leaves (in a case) or 1 foot from the charger to the rug, etc. all in the hard case, it goes dead instantly and cannot be restarted until its plugged into the original charger.

THEN: It goes through its first and only scary, near-bricking failed startups.  They repeat, never getting past the Lenovo screen.  Also, stragely, even when it has to be fully charged again, it will die out when unplugged and will NOT attempt boot without being plugged in.

BTW, it never went through this even back when it regularly died suddenly on the original battery when it died, which I worried about...

I've managed twice to get it to fully boot, and then unplug, and it returns to normal use. Charging, etc. Its been working now for days.

Here's what I do - I put it into recovery (but I dont really know what I am doing); this didnt really do anything, except the system scan runs and says everything is normal.

BUT: It still fails a few reboots until it just finally does start.  Sometimes only after a break.  I also tried the 'shut down' once instead of recovery and that has the same result.  It fails to boot several times, then eventually does.  I need to get it to fully boot, then I make sure its fully charged, then I shut it down.  ONLY then can I pull the plug and attempt to reboot on the battery.  And thats all I got.

How many minutes do I have left on this phone..?!?  Its been sooooo great, and still is!!

Thanks for any guidance on this, suggestions!!  Cheers!

Options

4904 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3280 Signins

74186 Page Views

• Views: 74186
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:VERY sensitive phone -now Intermittent Startup problem. end of the line?

2021-02-06, 17:24 PM

@ Mr.T wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Moto Z Force (XT 1650-2) running 8.0 that I recently had a battery put it- worked fine- then a connected (but still inexplicable) loss of button use followed, which I had repaired.  I had hoped by repairng this, I could ride this phone out till after COVID and go shop for a new Droid, which I would prefer.

NOW I have a strange problem; anytime the phone is even lightly dropped, say, a couple feet to a bed of leaves (in a case) or 1 foot from the charger to the rug, etc. all in the hard case, it goes dead instantly and cannot be restarted until its plugged into the original charger.

THEN: It goes through its first and only scary, near-bricking failed startups.  They repeat, never getting past the Lenovo screen.  Also, stragely, even when it has to be fully charged again, it will die out when unplugged and will NOT attempt boot without being plugged in.

BTW, it never went through this even back when it regularly died suddenly on the original battery when it died, which I worried about...

I' managed twice to get it to fully boot, and then unplug, and it returns to normal use. Charging, etc. Its been working now for days.

Here' what I do - I put it into recovery (but I dont really know what I am doing); this didnt really do anything, except the system scan runs and says everything is normal.

BUT: It still fails a few reboots until it just finally does start.  Sometimes only after a break.  I also tried the ' down' once instead of recovery and that has the same result.  It fails to boot several times, then eventually does.  I need to get it to fully boot, then I make sure its fully charged, then I shut it down.  ONLY then can I pull the plug and attempt to reboot on the battery.  And thats all I got.

How many minutes do I have left on this phone..?!?  Its been sooooo great, and still is!!

Thanks for any guidance on this, suggestions!!  Cheers!

Hello, I'll do my best to help here. However, we're going to be a bit limited being the phone is (end of life) and two, this sounds like a hardware issue.

I would highly recommend going back through repair. You can find your repair options here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/repair-faqs

-Tom

FYI, we (the moto support team) do not actively monitor the community on the weekends so there may be delays in getting back to you.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

6 Posts

11-12-2020

Antarctica

20 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-02-07, 19:57 PM

Thanks, Tom.  I think I'll not waste the effort on repair, but am mostly hoping to get some tips on more likely restoration when it happens.

It happens; I am assuming In can get through a month or so till I can get a new one on my own time.

I mean, of course, most effective safe booting methods or recovery options, but as I said the ones I've tried have the same results.  And the funny thing is, i've discovered that the most effective method (it happened again yesterday via an almost insignificant bump.) is to let is sit for a few minutes, without running to plug in the cable.  It restarted normally after the last one, just by waiting about 5 mins.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Mr. T.

Options

4904 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3280 Signins

74186 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-02-08, 22:02 PM

@ Mr.T wrote:

Thanks, Tom.  I think I' not waste the effort on repair, but am mostly hoping to get some tips on more likely restoration when it happens.

It happens; I am assuming In can get through a month or so till I can get a new one on my own time.

I mean, of course, most effective safe booting methods or recovery options, but as I said the ones I' tried have the same results.  And the funny thing is, i' discovered that the most effective method (it happened again yesterday via an almost insignificant bump.) is to let is sit for a few minutes, without running to plug in the cable.  It restarted normally after the last one, just by waiting about 5 mins.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Mr. T.

Mr. T. I'm worried that the constant rebooting and getting stuck in the repeating boot cycle could eventually cause additional corruption of the software which might lead to data loss. I'd highly recommend backing up personal files (SMS, Pictures, etc). Then you can try using Rescue from the Rescue and Smart Assistant to see if that gets things working better. You can download it from here: https://www.motorola.com/us/rescue-and-smart-assistant/p. Doing the rescue WILL wipe all user data so it's best to make sure you've backed things up. Of course, this is entirely up to you. I just don't want to see you lose any personal files that you haven't backed up already. 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

11-12-2020

Antarctica

20 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-02-08, 22:52 PM

Thanks again, Tom.

OK, Ill take a look at that method, is it the same method as the one that appears as 'factory' under the recovery boot menu, or the one under the CQA test app that comes up when Ive managed it to reboot under 'recovery'?  It might not work there anyway, as Im not entirely sure anything different happens based on what I choose there.   It may be just going into the same boot cycle everytime.  Though I do get the CQA test to appear, so..  I'll read up on this method, then.

Yes thanks for your concern, I've backed up everything as best I can manage.  Would love to get my bookmarks out of my browser, that's always tricky one...

Thanks again,

MR. TUrnerra

Options

6 Posts

11-12-2020

Antarctica

20 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-02-10, 16:56 PM

Tom, while i have your attention, I wonder if you can tell me if there's any way to instruct CQA TEst/Commserver to reinitiate data service?  Is there some reason it is always off, or incompatible with the Tester running?  Is there a guide somewhere here to using it, and the commands?  Thanks again!  Mr. t.

Options

4904 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3280 Signins

74186 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-02-18, 2:18 AM

@ Mr.T wrote:

Tom, while i have your attention, I wonder if you can tell me if there' any way to instruct CQA TEst/Commserver to reinitiate data service?  Is there some reason it is always off, or incompatible with the Tester running?  Is there a guide somewhere here to using it, and the commands?  Thanks again!  Mr. t.

Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your response. As for using the rescue/repair from the Rescue & Smart Assistant. When you do this process it will fully reload the OS on your phone which results in a fresh OS...Almost like reinstalling Windows on your computer. It's different from doing the Factory Reset from the Recovery menu on the phone. CQA Test is not intended for end-users. I don't have any information how to use it. 

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms