Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
southga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,144
Message 1 of 13

Z Force Battery Drain in under 10 hours with no use

Okay, I have read, I have searched, I have updated my profile, I have deleted all caches, I have wiped the phone, started all over, deleted apps, started in safe mode, turned off wifi, turned data saver on, yada yada, and still this phone says it's awake when it's not, android OS says it's using the battery, I'm lost, I've tried everything. My wife has the exact same phone and the dang thing says it has 3 days left, and she has everything on. the only difference is our build number and security update. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,120
Message 2 of 13

Re: Z Force Battery Drain in under 10 hours with no use

@southga wrote:

Okay, I have read, I have searched, I have updated my profile, I have deleted all caches, I have wiped the phone, started all over, deleted apps, started in safe mode, turned off wifi, turned data saver on, yada yada, and still this phone says it's awake when it's not, android OS says it's using the battery, I'm lost, I've tried everything. My wife has the exact same phone and the dang thing says it has 3 days left, and she has everything on. the only difference is our build number and security update. 

Your graph tells the tale. 

Phone is awake when screen is off. Some app is the culprit. Often deleting apps is not enough. Best solution:

Reset phone, do not install or restore any apps. Zero. Use phone for a day or so to validate it is no longer staying awake when screen is off. Then add apps manually (no restore) and if problem starts, the last apps added are the culprit

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
southga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,111
Message 3 of 13

As I stated, I did wipe the phone, I started fresh with no apps. That is why this makes no sense. This is only 24 hours after fresh install. I had first tried to delete apps before resorting to wipe.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,088
Message 4 of 13

@southga wrote:

As I stated, I did wipe the phone, I started fresh with no apps. That is why this makes no sense. This is only 24 hours after fresh install. I had first tried to delete apps before resorting to wipe.

If you setup a google account it could be syncing data and other house keeping chores. Give it a bit longer with no apps installed and then reboot to see if properly sleeps. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,087
Message 5 of 13

I dont recognize those status bar icons. What apps are those?  They shipped on the phone after a reset? 

southga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,070
Message 6 of 13

I had wondered if it was still doing background updating somewhere. I had restored the contacts via the cloud and my google account, yes. When it asked me if I wanted to restore the phone with a previous backup or get a fresh start, I chose fresh start. I had forgotten I did put a couple apps on (FB&messenger). I have since verified they seem to not be using any data nor any power. Its seems that different builds of the z Force were shipped out with different apps as well, I had apps my wife did not and vice versa, some weird road app, yelp, and one other funky one she didn't have. And in looking at the graph it's probably not hardware related, right (ie battery going bad)? I thought it was getting better, I have been charging it to 100% only with the factory charger, restarting it every 48 hrs, and still the longest time it says is 11 hours (my wife charges hers every other day smh). I May have to try a FDR again, mysteriously it has had 2 security updates since the last FDR. I read somewhere here I think, to give it a few days to see if it levels out after. I believe the last one was on the 8th, so.....

BTW thank you for the time your taking AlphaDog, much appreciated.

southga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,062
Message 7 of 13

Some more information I discovered this morning early. After leaving it in airplane mode for 3 hours, the drain halted, immediatly. The phone showed inactive for the time it was in airplane mode and "time left" on battery went up to 5 days. However, when I turned airplane mode back off, activity resumed, and "time left" started to drop dramatically after an hour. Which doesn't make much sense since I have data saver on, and background data off for virtually everything.

I started probing through each app individually, along with system apps to find anything using power:

a few I found using 1% (mind you this is only an hour after airplane mode shut-off and at 94% battery)

Native dropbox agent

Settings

Android system

A few though, I found using 2% 

Android Wallpaper backup

Android fingerprints

Motorola.motgeofencesvc

com.qualcomm.atfwd

com.qualcomm.qti.tetherservice

com.qualcomm.qti.timeservice

com.qualcomm.CNEService

DiagMdlog Settings

Fused Location

Key Chain

Location Services

Modem Debug Settings

If these all seem normal then I'm at a loss and I will have to do another FDR.

southga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,060
Message 8 of 13

@AlphaDog wrote:

I dont recognize those status bar icons. What apps are those?  They shipped on the phone after a reset? 

The status bar icons, oh yes, the one with the plus sign is the data saver that comes with the phone, the shield is verizon's protection service notification I hadn't yet declined after startup, it always hogged battery and CPU when it ran before FDR, I never liked it. And of course the other is Verizon's installed text service, messenger+

southga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,990
Message 9 of 13

Still having the same issue, the only time the battery stops draining is in airplane mode. I've tried just shutting off wifi and shutting mobile data off, blutooth and gps, still drains. Uninstalled all apps, cache cleared. If mobile data is off with no wifi and I have 4 bars for signal, what in the world is keeping this thing awake and what could it even be sending out?? Yes, I am 2 seconds from a second FDR if I cant figure this out in the next 24 hrs.

Highlighted
Bobbyjt6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 95
Message 10 of 13

Hey there.. I have posted the exact same thing going on with my z force months ago. I've gone through the whole "battery recalibration" recommendation, erased and re-erased, reset, wiped, FDR, CHARGED for 21 days w/o using, prayed, cried, whispered, screamed, laughed, used every curse word spoken in 7 different languages, and guess what??? My phone is still a POS!! It was great, and I do mean great w/O any problems whatsoever UNTIL it updated to the 8.0 bogus, phone killing, useless mandatory update .believe me I've tried to go back to the previous OS but... Guess what??? Just so happens that you can't!! It's a very sneaky way for Motorola to make their customers BUY A NEW PHONE!!!  NO WHERE IN THE HISTORY OF MOTOROLA have they ever told their customers to " try this or that " ( just the way you and I have) until we get so exhausted and just plain tired, that we go on and purchase a new phone.. Motorola is or " was" one of best companies and manufacturer of all types of electronic equipment and would never leave their clientele to fend for themselves and be " shade tree mechanics" hoping for the best.

They( Motorola) is more than aware of this problem,( thousands of people having same problem just look around on internet) but refuses to take on the cost and responsibility to fix their mistake, with this last update .... As I've said, I believe it was done on purpose to generate sales by making people update to a new phone.  However, in my case I have had my phone less than a year, paid over 1100$ with mods, and I loved it.. 

Good luck and stay strong 

Top Kudoed Authors