Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DCZForceuser
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,439
Message 1 of 118

Z Force keeps turning off

A couple weeks ago my Moto Z Force started shutting itself off randomly.  First I thought the power button was getting bumped in my bag, then I thought maybe it was overheating because it's summer, but it's shut itself off when it's just sitting on my table in the air conditioning all day.  It's not hot to the touch.  Sometimes it freezes up first, sometimes not. It doesn't matter what application I'm using.  There's about a 1-2 minute delay while it's seemingly dead before I can turn it back on again.

NOTE: this a replacement phone Motorola sent me about 6 months ago after my first screen cracked

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 17,102
Message 2 of 118

Re: Z Force keeps turning off

@DCZForceuser wrote:

A couple weeks ago my Moto Z Force started shutting itself off randomly.  First I thought the power button was getting bumped in my bag, then I thought maybe it was overheating because it's summer, but it's shut itself off when it's just sitting on my table in the air conditioning all day.  It's not hot to the touch.  Sometimes it freezes up first, sometimes not. It doesn't matter what application I'm using.  There's about a 1-2 minute delay while it's seemingly dead before I can turn it back on again.

NOTE: this a replacement phone Motorola sent me about 6 months ago after my first screen cracked

@DCZForceuser wrote:

Hi DCZForceuser,

Looks like it needs a battery calibration. To calibrate the battery, hold the power button until the phone reboots > Plug into the supplied charger > Charge to 100% > Leave on the charger for at least an additional hour. This process will reset the battery table. Observe the phone afterwards and let us know what happens.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

DCZForceuser
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,784
Message 3 of 118

Hi thanks - wanted to update you that I did this, and it worked...for a while.  A couple weeks ago it started freezing up again and/or turning itself off.  I just ran through the battery recalibration procedure again this morning.  I'll see how long it lasts this time.

JK34
Paper Tape
Views: 11,950
Message 4 of 118

I am having the same issue. I will try those troubleshooting steps it hopes that they will work (for more than a few weeks). Thank you!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 11,894
Message 5 of 118

Hi JK34,

Thanks for posting in this thread. I would love to assist you. Let me know if that works for you. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

JK34
Paper Tape
Views: 11,888
Message 6 of 118

Hello Rich,

It didn't work. What other suggestion do you have?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 11,788
Message 7 of 118

Hi JK34,

Thanks for trying. We can test your phone in safe mode to see if there would be any improvement. To Enable Safe Mode:

1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.

2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears

4. Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner

5. If the issue does not remain in safe mode, this indicates a third party application installed from the Play Store is causing the problem.

6. Restart the device to get out of safe mode and uninstall any recently installed applications.

*** Begin by looking for specific application types such as launchers, task killers or anti-virus apps.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

JK34
Paper Tape
Views: 11,713
Message 8 of 118

Hi Rich and thank you for your help. The phone seemed fine in safe mode.

However, I can't figure out what a launcher and a task killer apps are. Since I had recently completed a factory reset, and practically had re-downloaded 90% of my same apps (I never had any anti-virus apps), it's even harder to figure it out.

Needless to say, the issue still remains. My phone is essentially no longer mobile, since the only thing that prevents it from shutting off on me is being plugged to the charger. Note that when it shuts off, it's not the battery that dies. What would you recommend I do now?

Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 11,673
Message 9 of 118

Hi JK34,

Thanks for confirming. It looks like an app/software issue. Can you try a factory reset without automatic restore, so there would be no third-party apps to be reinstalled automatically? Just go to Settings > Backup and Reset > Toggle off Automatic Restore > Factory Data Reset. Then try installing your apps one at a time until we figure out which app is causing an issue. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

JK34
Paper Tape
Views: 11,658
Message 10 of 118

Rich, looks like I was mistaken. I tried the Safe Mode again and it still shut off. I thought to try Safe Mode again after the phone acted the same way on the first app I re-downloaded following the factory reset. That proves then that it is the phone, not any app, correct?

Top Kudoed Authors