Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aggie94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,001
Message 1 of 26

Z2 Force streaming via USB-C Alt mode to HDMI

Can anyone confirm or deny whether the Z2 Force will be able to stream through a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable like the Galaxy S8 does?  My understanding is that it depends on whether the USB-C on the phone uses the "Alt Mode" or not.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 8,871
Message 2 of 26

Re: Z2 Force streaming via USB-C Alt mode to HDMI

@Aggie94 wrote:

Can anyone confirm or deny whether the Z2 Force will be able to stream through a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable like the Galaxy S8 does?  My understanding is that it depends on whether the USB-C on the phone uses the "Alt Mode" or not.

Hi Aggie94,

The Moto Z2 Force does not support streaming through a USB-C to HDMI adapter. If you're looking to connect to your TV then I'd recommend Google Chromecast to wirelessly cast your screen.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Aggie94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,868
Message 3 of 26

Thank you for the response, Moto_JM, even thought it certainly isn't the one I was hoping for!  I really prefer wired connections, and it is available on the latest from Samsung.  Can you help me understand the rationale here?

It's very close to being a straw that breaks the deal-camel's back (in addition to no 3.5mm or waterproofing and smaller battery).  I do have the Z2 Force on order, but may return it.  If I can understand the trade-offs or gains from not having this feature (streaming through USB-C), it will help me in making my decision.

Thanks again for all the help!

Xiyl
What's DOS?
Views: 8,374
Message 4 of 26

Why not? As far as I've been able to read, the Snapdragon 835 has built in support for USB C Displayport alt mode. Is there some sort of licensing restrictions on that mode?

ljnobre
Paper Tape
Views: 7,594
Message 5 of 26

Hi,

Will you even try to add HDMI support through USB-C connection? I mean, Windows 10 Mobile devices have it, Samsung devices have it, and devices from other OEMs also have it. And Motorola already shared informations about OneCompute Snap Mod, that is a dock with HDMI and USB connections for Moto Z family, so the limitation is not in the software or with the processor, because the device can handle other display. I hope you can release a future update with this working. If not, at least explain why.

Thank you for the attention.

Tuskerbister
What's DOS?
Views: 5,052
Message 6 of 26

This is very disappointing, and a step backwards in capability. Normally I downlaod films onto my phone while on unlimited WIFI away from home. At home my wfi is extremely limited (data and speed) so I prefer to plug the phone into the TV.

If I use the chromecast, even if I download the film in advance, the chromecast will download the film again, hence using extra data.

There was no warning when I bought the phone that it would not support HDMI connectivity. Is there any way that this can be enabled for example through a 3rd party app?  

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,975
Message 7 of 26

Hi Tuskerbister,

Thanks for posting on this thread. May I know which app are you using to watch the film? Chrome cast needs an internet connection to function. I'm not sure which third-party app we can use to cast.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,970
Message 8 of 26

I would try VLC from the play store. It will cast files. Also the app AllCast is another to try.

Tuskerbister
What's DOS?
Views: 3,704
Message 9 of 26

Hi

I normally use Google Play Movies to download films onto my phone, but also BBC i_player etc. All I want to do is watch them on my TV when I get home without incurring extra data charges by using the Chromecast. Why will you not allow us to use the HDMI adapter?

Thanks

Tuskerbister
What's DOS?
Views: 3,703
Message 10 of 26

I don't want to cast, I want to plug it in. Casting does not cast the files in your phone, it merely instructs your dongle to downlad or stream it through your home Wifi, which I would rather not use.

Top Kudoed Authors