Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowyfreak33
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 17,746
Message 1 of 22

moto z2 force screen "cast" hdmi

Hi, new to the motorola scene (coming from samsung note). But the mods are what sold me, mainly the turbopower battery pack. Anyways, I have done a lot of research and come up empty handed.

I am wondering if there is any way possible to view my screen on my tv, other than Chromecast. I am looking for something either wired or wireless but that doesn't have to be connected to the internet. The reason is because when we are glamping with no internet, it'd be nice to view the screen on a larger display. I understand that miracast is no longer on the z2, but looking for anything.Was hoping for a usb-c to HDMI cord, but from my understanding that won't work either as MDL is not supported either.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on what to try.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 17,491
Message 2 of 22

Re: moto z2 force screen "cast" hdmi

@snowyfreak33 wrote:

Hi, new to the motorola scene (coming from samsung note). But the mods are what sold me, mainly the turbopower battery pack. Anyways, I have done a lot of research and come up empty handed.

I am wondering if there is any way possible to view my screen on my tv, other than Chromecast. I am looking for something either wired or wireless but that doesn't have to be connected to the internet. The reason is because when we are glamping with no internet, it'd be nice to view the screen on a larger display. I understand that miracast is no longer on the z2, but looking for anything.Was hoping for a usb-c to HDMI cord, but from my understanding that won't work either as MDL is not supported either.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on what to try.

Hi snowyfreak33,

I'm afraid the only way to cast your screen to your TV is using Google Chromecast. However, this is good feedback and I will certainly share this insight to our product team.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

snowyfreak33
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 17,488
Message 3 of 22

Thank you very much for considering my feedback. Hopefully it is just a software update that can possibly have a solution to this. Thank you again!

Cleatus1491
What's DOS?
Views: 17,450
Message 4 of 22

I too am very dissatisfied with the casting. I refuse to pay for Chromecast! Needs to be fixed!!!

Highlighted
Steve12345
Paper Tape
Views: 17,248
Message 5 of 22

I have the new Z2 and I'm disgusted with this situation where video output has purposfully been disabled.  I've had Motorola smartphones since the Droid X in 2010 - and it had HDMI out, as did the 2012 droid Razr.  Then the droid Maxx 2013 dropped the HDMI port and switched to wireless display AND supported Miracast.  Next I had the 2015 Moto X Pure which supported direct "screen mirroring" and a variety of wireless screen casting - it was so simple and easy.  What happened????

After supporting video output for the past 7 years, in 2017, my brand-new, cutting-edge Moto z2 has been neutered!   Zero ability to output display - except Chromecast - what bulls#!7!!   That is EVIL Motorola, just evil.  I called moto to get help with this, and they said "they're working hard on it".   BS.    How hard is it to fix the one line of code that's blocking screen mirroring!?  So many articles indicate this function has be purposely blocked, AND is easily fixed IF you ROOT your phone and change ONE LINE OF CODE.   I don't want to have to root my phone, what a pain - that will be days of my life I'll never get back, probably have to pay someone to do it and hope it doesn't brick my phone.

Or I can go buy several Chromecast dongles and have them dangle out of my TVs/laptops, and carry another with me to plug in while on the go?  So why not include one with the phone?  More crap to buy/configure/troubleshoot, AND I have to allow google to data mine my device data and media data?  **bleep**!?

Why, in 2017, must this staple of smartphone functions be...removed?  Why the step backwards?  Not trying to rant, just trying to make sense of this absolutely ridiculous situation.

Motorola I thought you were better than this...I've been a "fan boy" for so long and I like the z2 device, this is beyond dissappointing.  You're on notice, this will be my last motorola device unless screen casting is fixed in a timely manner.

Goodbye Motorola, its sad what Lenovo did to you.

kmann74
Paper Tape
Views: 17,071
Message 6 of 22

This phone is bad to the bone. Other than one thing.....NO MIRACAST!!!!!!   WHAT!!!!!

I am deeply disappointed in this also. I didn't even think to look and make sure that this phone supported Miracast because it is one of the newest phones on the market.  It should be standard in all phones going forward. Then when I found out it didn't support it I wanted to break it. You should give me some kind of refund. I am still blown away everytime I think about it. This has to be fixed.

briglv21
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,756
Message 7 of 22

I have some questions reg the concepts of the USB-c to HDMI/casting topic.

I am fairly unfamiliar with the concept. So, I just had a new aftermarket double din stereo installed into my vehicle. Model DDX9903S not advertising,  but if you see the videos about the stereo, I need my Moto to communicate somehow with it in order to use the android auto and stereo screen for navigation. Basically, my question is, are there ANY cables, ANY workarounds in order for my phone to send visual information to my stereo? Speaking only to the Moto, Can I use USB-c to USB, USB-c to HDMI? ANYTHING? I just paid over 1K for this radio and I am currently at a loss. HELP PLEASE?! Smiley Happy 

LABinc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,460
Message 8 of 22

LABinc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,449
Message 9 of 22

I just bought a type c to HDMI 4k. If this is true I'm never buying another Moto product as for my 5year old phone does it no problem. Why would they take that away same with native sbs needs root now. **bleep** Moto w. T. F
briglv21
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,147
Message 10 of 22

Post your outcome, curious to hear what you exp. 

Top Kudoed Authors