Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Play
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-08-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 3

7.1.1 Update is a battery killer

2017-08-08, 7:17 AM

So this morning i updated my phone from Nouget7.0 to Nouget 7.1.1  and started experiencing battery life issue. The phone would get hot, and die fairly quickly. I checked the power management thing and it showed the OS using the most power under the screen brightness. I power cycled the phone a few times but nothing is working. Also im not a huge fan of that scroll up for the other apps thing and prefer the button one. Can someone please help me figure out a way to rollback to nouget7.0? im really getting tired of these Android powermanagment and I/O changes and issues. 

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: 7.1.1 Update is a battery killer

2017-08-08, 12:11 PM

wrote:

So this morning i updated my phone from Nouget7.0 to Nouget 7.1.1  and started experiencing battery life issue. The phone would get hot, and die fairly quickly. I checked the power management thing and it showed the OS using the most power under the screen brightness. I power cycled the phone a few times but nothing is working. Also im not a huge fan of that scroll up for the other apps thing and prefer the button one. Can someone please help me figure out a way to rollback to nouget7.0? im really getting tired of these Android powermanagment and I/O changes and issues. 

You can't rollback. But the issues are usually apps that don't like the new OS version.

When this happens to me, I usually reset and manually install apps from the play store. Anytime a major update comes out, i do this. But if any battery drain issues occur, i do some troubleshooting, and if i quick fix is not happening, i reset and don't restore from backup.

But try a cache clear to start with

Here are some great troubleshooting videos that cover safe mode, cache clear, and factory reset. Try these suggestions and let us know

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Owner-s-Blog/The-DIY-Movement-why-not-for-your-phone/ba-p/3375991

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

10 Posts

08-04-2017

Canada

20 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: 7.1.1 Update is a battery killer

2017-08-08, 16:20 PM

FWIW I just bought and went through all updates a few weeks ago and then 7.1.1 last week - no changes at all with my device. Battery consistently good for 2 days if I allow it to go that long and not hot.  

In the past on the SammySung S III which went through many reinstalls using their OS then many times with Cyanogenmod - I found Google Play services would drain the battery as you say - but the hitch is - apps flow through Google Play and it was hard to figure out which one or ones they were. Uninstalling apps was not always a solution. (A real PITA!). Sort of got the feeling all was right then "something" touched the device and this problem would start- but it could be weeks to months before any problems would occur - just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water ... Over time I became more weary and just kept reinstalling known needed apps.

In the past v4 I found that "restarting" and "power off" are the not same; where restart is like Windows 10 now - more of a hybrid hibernate. Secondly, for all the Windows haters - IMO, there are people that suggest "Why do I have to reinstall Android?  It isn't Windows."  I don't buy that at all - worst case as painful as it might be a reinstall may be a forced option to take. OTOH, Google does tend to "automatically" reinstall your apps - which helps.

Good luck.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms