Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgorovoy1
Punch Card
Views: 6,442
Message 1 of 47

Android Auto Connection Problems

I'm having problems with Android Auto on my Moto Z Play running Android Oreo 8.0.0 build ODNS27.76-12-30-2 failing to connect to head unit in my new Acura MDX Advance Hybrid.

It appears to connect without issues first time after the phone is rebooted. It requires the phone be unlocked and opened before the connection is established, even though the vehicle is enabled in Smart Lock. The 'Loading' message disappears and reappears again on the head unit screen at least two times before it finally loads.

On subsequent connection attempts Android Auto at some point stops working, with 'Loading' message briefly flashes once after the cable is connected, and Google Play services notification 'Android Auto connected to your car' is shown on the phone. At that point the phone has to be rebooted before it could be connected to the car again.

I have already tried to clear data, as well as completely re-install both Android Auto and Google Play services, with no noticeable difference, as well as tried a couple of different USB A to USB C cables.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 6,322
Message 2 of 47

Re: Android Auto Connection Problems

Hi mgorovoy1,

Thanks for posting. I appreciate the steps you've tried. I'd like to verify, have you tried to disconnect the Bluetooth and reconnect it again? If so, did it reconnect automatically? If not, have you tried to unpair and repair the Bluetooth connection? If so, did it work or the only way for you to connect back is to turn off and on the phone?

If the car is connected to other devices, please remove all paired devices and just pair it with your phone. Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Jclemerald
What's DOS?
Views: 6,282
Message 3 of 47

Re: Moto z oreo bluetooth problem

Good evening,

since upgrading to oreo on my motorola z play, I have experienced all the issues others have described. My hi tech entertainment system in my car used to connect automatically when I started my car. My phone would pair instantly before the oreo upgrade. I now have to unpair and re-pair and one in 20 times it will connect. This is a software problem, not a chip set problem. This is so out of character for an android OS on a Motorola device and I cannot understand why. I now have to make calls holding my phone in my lap. Even in my car w/o bluetooth, I have moto set to announce calls and texts. It will not. All the system resets and bug reports won't fix the problem. I now have to drive illegally and risk my life and my family. That is not acceptable.

Lenovo, please take a z play or z play force and go to a car dealership or 3 and do your own tests with cars from different manufacturers. I have read everything in this forum on the topic and CANNOT believe what I am seeing. I apologize for being blunt but the problem exists and an emergency fix needs to be made. This is not how we managed software upgrades with our clients. We never said try and make it fail and let us know what you find. We unit tested and basecased all old logic in regression testing before ever releasing new enhancements. Bluetooth is old technology.

Oreo has a bluetooth issue...please fix it. You are putting lives at risk, or minimally, wasting a lot of people's time. We should never have to send in a phone for repair due to a software issue.

mgorovoy1
Punch Card
Views: 6,290
Message 4 of 47

I have completely removed any connection between the phone and the car from both the phone and the car yesterday night. That included deleting the car from list of accepted cars on the phone, clearing the data for Android Auto application, and deleting the Bluetooth entry for the car on the phone as well as for the phone in the car.

After connecting the car with the phone using USB cable and going through Android Auto configuration process, i was able to successfully get the phone connected to the car and get Android Auto displayed on the head unit. After that I disconnected the USB cable from the phone, waited for the Android Auto screens to close, then connected the USB cable back to the phone, and at that point the issue was recreated again.

I've also discovered yesterday that if I terminate the Google Play Services application by searching for it in the Settings and using 'Force Stop' button from the application info screen, I'm able to get the Android Auto to connect to the head unit once again without having to restart the phone.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 6,260
Message 5 of 47

Hi mgorovoy1,

Thanks for confirming. I appreciate the steps you've tried. Speaking of Google Play Services, can you check if it's updated in Playstore? If so, try updating it. If it's already updated, try uninstalling the previous update from the Google Play Services. Just go to Settings > Apps and Info > Google Play Services > Uninstall Updates. Once done try to test your Bluetooth connection. Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

mgorovoy1
Punch Card
Views: 6,258
Message 6 of 47

I've already removed and reinstalled update for Google Play Services a few days ago, as I mentioned in my original post. It did not seem to make any difference. The latest update for it was posted in Google Play Store on July 18, and I'm running that version already.

Somehow your latest post got marked as accepted solution, but that is unfortunately not the case...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 6,244
Message 7 of 47

Hi Jclemerald,

Thanks for posting. I appreciate the troubleshooting steps. Can you please try the suggested troubleshooting steps above? Let me know.  Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Vicki4801
Paper Tape
Views: 5,221
Message 8 of 47

I am also having a LOT problems with my Android auto connection. I drivd a Subaru Crosstrek .  I love the program when it works and connects properly to my MOTO Z Play, which is hit or miss and lately won't connect at all . I've bought new cables, tried reinstalling the app, trying the Safe mode check for installed apps, debugging the USB. 

Occasionally I'll get the smartphone connection error, or a flash across the screen, but but latey even that does not happen. I get nothing. 

HELP. 

I agree that this is a safety concern and a huge time waste/ frustration

Vicki4801
Paper Tape
Views: 5,217
Message 9 of 47

I agree with this post. Very frustrating, time consuming, and unsafe
hOttt
Paper Tape
Views: 5,214
Message 10 of 47

How this post is closed as solved if no one claimed that the issue was fixed?! 

I have the same problem. I need to unlock my phone so Android Auto can start with my Ford vehicle with SYNC3. I tested with all the three gerenations of Moto Z (Moto Z Play with Android 8.0.0, Moto Z2 Play with Android 8.0.0 and Moto Z3 Play with Android 8.1.0).

This issue is very anoying.

Top Kudoed Authors