Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,339
Message 11 of 43

Re: Android Auto Connection Problems

Hi Everyone,

Have we tried the suggested troubleshooting steps I provided above? Let me know. Thank you. Also, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

mgorovoy1
Punch Card
Views: 1,321
Message 12 of 43

@Agent_Rich wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Have we tried the suggested troubleshooting steps I provided above? Let me know. Thank you. Also, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Google Play Services around the time you suggested that, and the problem continued to occur. I then performed the following steps in an attemt to start with "clean slate".  After performing this procedure the problem occurred less frequently for about 2-3 weeks, and then started happening very often once again.

• Settings > Applications > Android Auto: Force Stop followed by Clear Data followed by Uninstall;
  • Settings > Applications > Google Play Services: Force Stop followed by Clear Data followed by Uninstall;
  • Restart Phone -> Load Recovery -> Clear Cache partition -> Restart Phone;
  • Installed Google Play Services -> Updated all dependent apps;
  • Installed Android Auto -> Connected to the car.

It appears that following the steps below in exact order reduces the frequency of the problem. However it still occurs multiple times per week during initial connection. Furthermore it frequently disconnects in the middle of a drive and then cannot be reconnected without Force Stop of Google Play Services, sometimes requiring repeating it several times.

• Start the car, wait for the head unit to complete initialization;
  • Ensure that Smartphone application is not selected;
  • Plug the phone into Smartphone USB port via USB-C to USB-A cable;
  • Unlock the phone using fingerprint scanner;
  • Wait for the green Android Auto connection screen to load;
  • Press Smartphone button on head unit;
  • Cross one's fingers and wait for Androit Auto to start.

Also, it appears that the phone must be configured to use the vehicle's Bluetooth as Trusted Device, otherwise Android Auto disconnects as soon as the phone locks and cannot be re-connected without Force Stop of Google Play Services.

I've double checked the configuration of my account and it has the correct device and phone number associated with it. 

Thanks,

-Michael

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,297
Message 13 of 43

Hi mgorovoy1,

Thanks for sharing. We'll further look into this. Make also sure that the car's software is up to date. Let me know your observation. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

mgorovoy1
Punch Card
Views: 1,294
Message 14 of 43

@Agent_Rich wrote:

Hi mgorovoy1,

Thanks for sharing. We'll further look into this. Make also sure that the car's software is up to date. Let me know your observation. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

I went to Acura dealer for service around three weeks ago, and they were unable to reproduce the issue with the phone that they use for testing (Samsung). I was told that there was no new version of software available for that head unit.

Thanks,

-Michael

RickS50
Paper Tape
Views: 1,248
Message 15 of 43

Adding to this thread, I too am having issues with Android Auto and a Moto Z Force with Android 8.0.0OCLS27.76-69-6 connected to a Pioneer AVH4200NEX head unit (firmware updated). It works perfectly with my Moto X Pure, on my Moto Z Force it connects but when playing music the audio hickups frequently. It will just stop playing the song for about half a second and resume. I have tried three different music apps (Google Play Music included), played music on the phones storage, on the SD card and from streaming. The source makes no difference. Even the map navigation voice prompts can hickup as well in the same manner. 

If I play the same music over blutooth it's better, but still hickups. Same issue on my home theater receiver over blutooth. Thinking it was something in the apps causing a resource allocation issue I finally did a factory reset on the phone, installed the Android Auto app and tried it again. The problem remained. I also tried three different USB C cables with no effect. 

This is my fifth Motorola phone in a row, I go back to the original Droid phone, but this latest experience has me questioning getting another. 

Suhas_25
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,208
Message 16 of 43

I have a Moto Z Play which has exactly same issue as described. I have changed cables, done factory reset of phone, Android head unit. Nothing works

However when a samsung phone connected, Android works like a charm and infact, the unit starts behaving faster

Motorola / Lenovo have this issue around for quite some time now and high high time they fix it

This is 3rd Moto phone on throat. Android auto is way too important for me and this issue compells me to bug something else

Or can we have a definitive time as when this issue will be fixed by Motorola / Lenovo

Suhas_25
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,200
Message 17 of 43

Rich,

This looks to be an issue only with my phone. I have connecting my friend's Samsung phone to my Android auto head unit and it works perfectly fine

This is really taking off concentration off driving. This looks like a USB losing connection issue which was addressed for a few customers by pushing in a update for 8.1. But we have been pushed only Oreo 8.0 and it looks like that will be it. 

Android auto is way too critical for me and can you please have this fixed as soon as poosposs

Vicki4801
Paper Tape
Views: 1,181
Message 18 of 43

Thank you rich,

I have updated my profile here in the forums, and checked my Motorola privacy on my device.

Previously I tried making my way through your suggestions on this thread, to no avail. It definitely got worse after a recent system update, but it has always been finicky. When I am the passenger, I can play with it for an hour. Obviously that doesn't work when I'm driving and I end up just using Google maps on my phone, and listen to the fm radio....which is frustrating and time consuming since we intentionally purchased a new car with Android auto as it's navigation system (along with it's other features), per the suggestion of our car salesperson. 

Moreso than frustration is the fact that I feel terribly unsafe while driving distracted trying to get the app to work.

I am not with my vehicle for the next week or so (out of the country) to check on any correction successes or failures. Also, I just reinstalled aandroid auto one more time, so I'm not sure what you will see...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,070
Message 19 of 43

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to confirm, are we still active on this thread? Let me know if you're still having this issue. Thank you.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Vicki4801
Paper Tape
Views: 1,067
Message 20 of 43

Yes
Top Kudoed Authors