Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NetherRealm
SCSI Port
Views: 2,243
Message 21 of 123

Re: Important needs in Pie update in Moto Z2 play

That is exactly what I am saying!

If you cant give us a phone that's able to outperform other devices, then the software doesnt really matter!

However, this is not the case and I am disapointed every time I realize my Moto X pure can outperform the Z2 play... its much older too!

@SAHIL98 wrote:

Lenovo just spoiled all the fun and service. There was a time when g4+ got android N within 5-6 months. And now they're are just avoiding software updates. I don't trust moto now. Atleast give your customer a good hardware (specs) or software update on time.( If you can't give both of them).

P.S. :- this is my last moto phone nd i don't suggest anyone to buy moto these days🤷‍♂️

_Ankit
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,071
Message 22 of 123

Re: Android P for moto Z2 play

I don't believe it. Motorola phones are already so costly....and in return of that much money Motorola can't even provide faster updates than the other companies.
_Ankit
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,071
Message 23 of 123

We are expecting pie update to arrive by end of march 2019..but I guess that may not be possible.
Artim96
802.11n
Views: 2,012
Message 24 of 123

You can expect it to arrive about a month after the first development release of Q. At least that was about the schedule for O on the first Z play. At least that one has an active development team at it's back, delivering P shortly after it's release through Google.
But no surprise that it takes Motorola eternities. Must be very difficult to still build 32 bit ROMs and getting 32 bit versions of all the drivers.... Just ridiculous what Moto is pulling here, especially on the Z lineup which could have been THE midrange flagship making possible others could only dream of.

Edit: and btw, Moto started beta tests for O on the first Z Play around December, releasing it in April. Beta tests for P on our Z2 Play seem to not even have started yet (trust me, you would have read about that, you can't keep that a secret), so expect the worst

smb5769
SCSI Port
Views: 2,002
Message 25 of 123

TBH, I really don't understand why they are making the software 32 bit if the hardware can support 64 bit. It's like having a 8 cylinder engine vehicle and taking four spark plugs out. 

Artim96
802.11n
Views: 1,976
Message 26 of 123

Exactly. The only thing I can imagine is that it might have something to do with Moto Mod infrastructure. Or is there any device that still gets a 32 bit ROM and is not part of the Z lineup?
Solandri
What's DOS?
Views: 1,872
Message 27 of 123

Compiling software as 64-bit doesn't really help performance.  It is not like using only half the cylinders of a car.  64-bit speeds up processing of data types bigger than 4 bytes.  But that's only floating point calculations and very large integers (used mainly in scientific calculations), and lengthy character comparisons (which come into play for things like data compression or encryption).  Most everything else happens at the exact same speed as 32-bit.  The idea that 64-bit is vastly superior was an Intel marketing campaign to try to get people to upgrade faster to newer processors.

Where 64-bit really helps is when a program or OS needs to address more than 4 GB of memory.  AFAIK no mobile apps fall into this category, and nearly all mobile devices still have 4 GB or less of RAM.  So outside of scientific programs and data processing (which you don't want to be doing on a mobile device anyway), there's pretty much zero benefit to making software 64-bit.  In fact, it's a disadvantage because compiling for 64-bit means your smallest data type is now 8 bytes instead of 4 bytes.  So all your programs will be bigger and use slightly more RAM than if they were compiled as 32-bit.

If you insist on a car analogy, it'd be like adding 4 extra fold-out seats so there's seating for 8.  Useless unless you first make the car bigger so it can carry more than 4 people (give the device more than 4 GB of RAM).

smb5769
SCSI Port
Views: 1,864
Message 28 of 123

Thanks for that explanation. I think now the way I understood that, you can use more than four GB of memory, but because it's compiled in 64 bits, 8 GB is kinda the same as 4 GB in a 32 bit system? But it does make the device more capable of doing more complicated work, right? We may actually some day NEED the power of that additional capability in a mobile device. I imagine it may come in handy at laboratories and universities?

jacob_alexander
Paper Tape
Views: 1,862
Message 29 of 123

Is there anyone who is directly connected to motorola who can give at least any info whether z2 play will get Android p, it would help me to move on to Google Pixel at least. Motorala doing the same mistake like Nokia, impressive features with moderate hardware. after spending 1000 $ in phone and mods and not getting software updates, this z2 play would be as useless as a brick. 

Solandri
What's DOS?
Views: 1,858
Message 30 of 123

The programs are only slightly bigger and use a little more RAM.  Not twice as much.  Most of the program size (on disk and in RAM) is due to instructions and characters, not numerical variables.  And it's only the smaller variables which increase in size from 4 bytes to 8 bytes.

Top Kudoed Authors