Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Play
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-03-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 48
  • Message 1 of 10

Bluetooth Car Connectivity Issues Since Nougat Update

2017-05-03, 11:39 AM

Since my Moto Z Play updated to Nougat (retgb) I have been experiencing Bluetooth connectivity issues with my car's (Nissan)  infotainment system.

My symptoms are as follows:

Before the Nougat update the phone connected to the in-car system flawlessly.

Since the update the phone fails to connect to the infotainment system, this seems to occur after a long period of the phone being disconnected from the car system and/or being charged.

The phone attempts to connect to the car system and shows (on the phone) as being connected. However the Bluetooth connection has not actually been established and the car does not show the phone as connected. After a period of this the phone seems to stop attempting to connect to the car.

If the phone is rebooted then it connects to the car and the Bluetooth connection is established, the phone will then continue to connect correctly until a significant time has elapsed since the last disconnect (usually over-night).

Steps I have tried to resolve this issue:

• Unpaired the car and the phone, then re-paired the devices.
    Unless the phone has been rebooted since the problem was encountered it will not re-pair with the car Bluetooth, once rebooted the devices pair but the problems return after a period of time.
  • Reset Network Settings
  • Disabled Bluetooth Scanning in location services
  • Cleared Cache
  • Ran in Safe Mode, to eliminate the possibility of user installed app interference
  • Full Factory Reset
  • Disabled Doze for all bluetooth related services/apps available to the user under "battery optimization"

After trying all of the above the problem returns after the same period of time has elapsed between connection/disconnection of the car and phone. The only solution is to reboot the phone whenever the problem is encountered, after a reboot the phone will connect correctly.

Because of the absense of this issue on Marshmallow, I strongly suspect this issue is related to Nougat itself and, due to the fact that it seems to occur after a period of innactivity, I believe that it may be related to Doze functionality.

Options

1325 Posts

01-16-2017

Philippines

278 Signins

37025 Page Views

• Views: 37025
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Bluetooth Car Connectivity Issues Since Nougat Update

2017-05-03, 15:12 PM

wrote:

Since my Moto Z Play updated to Nougat (retgb) I have been experiencing Bluetooth connectivity issues with my car's (Nissan)  infotainment system.

My symptoms are as follows:

Before the Nougat update the phone connected to the in-car system flawlessly.

Since the update the phone fails to connect to the infotainment system, this seems to occur after a long period of the phone being disconnected from the car system and/or being charged.

The phone attempts to connect to the car system and shows (on the phone) as being connected. However the Bluetooth connection has not actually been established and the car does not show the phone as connected. After a period of this the phone seems to stop attempting to connect to the car.

If the phone is rebooted then it connects to the car and the Bluetooth connection is established, the phone will then continue to connect correctly until a significant time has elapsed since the last disconnect (usually over-night).

Steps I have tried to resolve this issue:

• Unpaired the car and the phone, then re-paired the devices.
    Unless the phone has been rebooted since the problem was encountered it will not re-pair with the car Bluetooth, once rebooted the devices pair but the problems return after a period of time.
  • Reset Network Settings
  • Disabled Bluetooth Scanning in location services
  • Cleared Cache
  • Ran in Safe Mode, to eliminate the possibility of user installed app interference
  • Full Factory Reset
  • Disabled Doze for all bluetooth related services/apps available to the user under "battery optimization"

After trying all of the above the problem returns after the same period of time has elapsed between connection/disconnection of the car and phone. The only solution is to reboot the phone whenever the problem is encountered, after a reboot the phone will connect correctly.

Because of the absense of this issue on Marshmallow, I strongly suspect this issue is related to Nougat itself and, due to the fact that it seems to occur after a period of innactivity, I believe that it may be related to Doze functionality.

Hi frap_gadz,

Let's see if we can figure out what's causing the disconnect. I'd like to get a Bugreport over to my Bluetooth Engineers.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Also please verify the Make/Model/Trim on the vehicle for further investigation. 

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

Options

5 Posts

05-03-2017

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2017-05-04, 7:28 AM

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your quick response!

I enabled the Bluetooth HCI snoop log yesterday evening, I then experienced the issue again this morning, around 05:45 BST, and so took a bug report as you've described. Strangely once the bug log had been generated the phone connected to the infotainment system correctly.

However an hour and a half later, at around 07:15 BST, I entered the vehicle again and the phone again did not connect correctly, so I took a second bug log. The phone again connected to the infotainment system correctly once the bug log was generated as it had done previously.

I have sent the links to the bug logs in a private message 

The symptoms are observed in the following fashion:

• Entering the vehicle and powering on the infotainment system
  • The phone then automatically connects to the infotainment system
  • The phone displays the Bluetooth connected icon in the status bar, this can be confirmed by going to Bluetooth settings where the car infotainment system (NISSAN CONNECT) shows as "connected"
  • The car infotainment display does not show a Bluetooth icon or phone signal strength icon as it would if the phone was connected correctly
  • Attempting to access the phone or Bluetooth audio functions of the infotainment system is not possible as they're unavailable, as they would be with no device connected
  • The infotainment Bluetooth settings do not show any device being connected, attempting to establish the connection with the phone by selecting it in the infotainment Bluetooth settings fails with the error that the connection attempt has failed
  • If the phone is rebooted it connects correctly and appears on the infotainment system, disabling and re-enabling the phone Bluetooh does not yield the same result. Powering the infotainment system on and off again by cycling the ignition or disabling and re-enabling the infotainment Bluetooth also does not yield the same result. However after a period of time the symptoms reappear

The vehicle is a Nissan Qashqai Ntec 2010, it's fitted with the Nissan Connect LCN1 Infotainment system manufactured by Bosch.

Thanks again and regards,

Jack

Options

1325 Posts

01-16-2017

Philippines

278 Signins

37025 Page Views

• Views: 37025
  • Message 4 of 10

2017-05-04, 14:20 PM

wrote:

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your quick response!

I enabled the Bluetooth HCI snoop log yesterday evening, I then experienced the issue again this morning, around 05:45 BST, and so took a bug report as you've described. Strangely once the bug log had been generated the phone connected to the infotainment system correctly.

However an hour and a half later, at around 07:15 BST, I entered the vehicle again and the phone again did not connect correctly, so I took a second bug log. The phone again connected to the infotainment system correctly once the bug log was generated as it had done previously.

I have sent the links to the bug logs in a private message 

The symptoms are observed in the following fashion:

• Entering the vehicle and powering on the infotainment system
  • The phone then automatically connects to the infotainment system
  • The phone displays the Bluetooth connected icon in the status bar, this can be confirmed by going to Bluetooth settings where the car infotainment system (NISSAN CONNECT) shows as "connected"
  • The car infotainment display does not show a Bluetooth icon or phone signal strength icon as it would if the phone was connected correctly
  • Attempting to access the phone or Bluetooth audio functions of the infotainment system is not possible as they're unavailable, as they would be with no device connected
  • The infotainment Bluetooth settings do not show any device being connected, attempting to establish the connection with the phone by selecting it in the infotainment Bluetooth settings fails with the error that the connection attempt has failed
  • If the phone is rebooted it connects correctly and appears on the infotainment system, disabling and re-enabling the phone Bluetooh does not yield the same result. Powering the infotainment system on and off again by cycling the ignition or disabling and re-enabling the infotainment Bluetooth also does not yield the same result. However after a period of time the symptoms reappear

The vehicle is a Nissan Qashqai Ntec 2010, it's fitted with the Nissan Connect LCN1 Infotainment system manufactured by Bosch.

Thanks again and regards,

Jack

Hi frap_gadz,

Thanks for sharing your Bugreport. I'll pass this to the team and I'll let you know for updates.

-Anne

Options

5 Posts

05-03-2017

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2017-05-16, 15:38 PM

Hi Anne, 

I was wondering if someone from your team had a chance to look into this and if there was a diagnosis? 

Best regards, 

Jack 

Options

5 Posts

11-09-2014

United States of America

17 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 6 of 10

2017-06-28, 21:03 PM

Same issue for me (glad I'm not the only one with the issue). Phone is less than a month old and was updated to Nougat almost immediately after I took it out of the box (e.g. before it was paired with any devices).

• Toggling phone bluetooth off/on has no effect.
  • Toggling car bluetooth off/on has no effect.
  • Powering phone off/on results in bluetooth being disabled on power up. After enabling bluetooth the HFP connection is established.

Car is 2010 Audio S4 with MMI audio system. I'll try to capture an HCI log later today and send it in.

Options

5 Posts

11-09-2014

United States of America

17 Signins

136 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2017-07-28, 17:27 PM

One quick work around I've discovered is to toggle airplane mode on and off. The phone will connect to the car head unit 100% of the time using this method.

Options

5 Posts

05-03-2017

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2017-07-28, 18:32 PM

Thanks for the tip! I did try this myself before and it didn't work for me but maybe I didn't do it right. I've been rebooting my phone every morning since the noughat update ?. Hopefully 7.1.1 will fix this. 

Options

10 Posts

08-04-2017

Canada

20 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 9 of 10

2017-08-20, 6:29 AM

Not sure what "Full Factory Reset" was related to (headunit or phone) but I wanted to offer the following - as it may apply to someone. Note that my headunit is a Kenwood - and not a full screen model - but rather the old school LED type with a single a line display v. a full screen with many lines.

I previously had a SammySung S3 where I would reinstall the OS; installed Cyanogen and reinstalled again --- many times. Long story short - during a round trip from 4.x to 5.x the phone would constantly drop the BT connection and after reverting back 4.x it still did that - it never had those issues with 4.x prior.

What I discovered with the headunit was that it kept multiple iterations of the phone in memory. The name on the display was "Samsung S III" and I had found there were about 4 different profiles. I deleted each one at a time (again I didn't see multiple on the screen at once and I actually thought the unit was not deleting the profile - until finally the name changed to something like "no profile"). After doing that my troubles went away as if ... even though the headunit had multiple profiles - it somehow caused problems.

The only other thought too is - check your headunit's firmware and see if any updates were posted re:Nougat. (I didn't check for this in your post when I read it).

At this time the only BT bother is with the phone book - it isn't downloading (I unpaired/paired a few times to no avail; will try to delete and repair again; I know the phone asks for permission ONCE - there is something about that with Android which is annoying). The previously dialed list is downloaded rather quickly and I tend to not care so much about the phone book. My larger bother is that Okay Google isn't working as well as it did with the Samsung - and I believe it is related to the fingerprint reader - a problem that is a huge PITA. I found that very handy in the car - asking things like temperature and weather while driving. Seems many are complaining about this in the Android world.

OT: The other day the assistant took over and after that single day of working, now asking questions yields searches only and no voice response - so far I cannot figure out the question to ask my friend, as the results from Google are not yielding what I need to do to fix this.

FWIW - Cheers!

Options

5 Posts

11-09-2014

United States of America

17 Signins

136 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2017-08-21, 19:18 PM

So far (for me at least), after the 7.1.1 update, this issue is much improved. Although, the time it takes to connect sometimes takes several minutes now (not always).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms