Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryansc0tt
Paper Tape
Views: 211
Message 1 of 5

Bluetooth volume automatically increases

My Moto Z2 Play running 8.0.0 automatically increases the volume to max or near-max when using a Bluetooth headset. This started happening relatively recently (not after a software update) - typically when I first adjust the volume, either up or down. I tend to go between using various Bluetooth devices throughout the day, including two different headsets where this behavior occurs. Anyone seen a similar problem? I mostly find the opposite problem (decreasing volume) online.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 162
Message 2 of 5

Re: Bluetooth volume automatically increases

Hi ryansc0tt,

Thanks for the post. Do you still need help on this? I'd like to confirm, does it always happen for each time you press the volume buttons or it only happens once right after connecting to Bluetooth? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

ryansc0tt
Paper Tape
Views: 109
Message 3 of 5

Hi @Agent_Rich,

Thank you for replying to this. The problem is still happening.

To answer your question - the problem happens only once IF audio is already playing. Otherwise, the higher volume seems to "stick."

You can find a screen recording of the behavior here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bVtVKtXyaQZlVjkq5dwDrY2oHIllKBey

in this case using my Plantronics Bluetooth headphones.

The volume is at a nominal level upon connecting the headphones [0:10]. Upon pressing the decrease volume button [0:18], the volume actually increases to ~75%. Smiley Sad

When I try decreasing the volume via touch screen [0:22], then again using the button [0:26], the volume reverts to the same level.

Once I actually start playing audio [0:35], the volume increases again on the first try. But then I am able to adjust it normally.

After powering off the headset [0:55], again the first attempt to adjust volume results in an increase to ~75%. Then I am able to adjust and play normally [1:12].

After reconnecting again (while already playing audio this time) [1:19], I have the same problem when first adjusting volume.

I've also noticed that the volume automatically increases to max sometimes after disconnecting these same headphones. That doesn't happen in this screen recording, however.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 82
Message 4 of 5

Hi ryansc0tt,

Thanks for further explaining and for the sample video. That's kinda odd and I'm still unsure about this behavior. Can you please check if the volume buttons are a bit loosed? Does it happen when you're just playing media on the speaker? Also, let's confirm if this is limited to your headphone - I would suggest trying another Bluetooth headset and let me know if you can replicate the same behavior. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Highlighted
ryansc0tt
Paper Tape
Views: 38
Message 5 of 5

@Agent_Rich

Can you please check if the volume buttons are a bit loosed? 

The volume buttons work fine - there is no randomness in their behavior

@Agent_Rich
Does it happen when you're just playing media on the speaker?

It does happen right after i disconnect from a Bluetooth device and just play media through the speaker. Unlike when I connect to Bluetooth, when I disconnect it is possible to adjust the volume manually before playing audio.

@Agent_Rich
Also, let's confirm if this is limited to your headphone - I would suggest trying another Bluetooth headset and let me know if you can replicate the same behavior.

I just tested with two other Bluetooth devices - a different headset, and a Google Home smart speaker. Neither device exhibited this behavior when I connected to it. However, after (1) disconnecting, (2) playing through the speaker, then (3) adjusting the volume downward, the volume instead increased to 100%. The speakers were at a low volume before starting the test.

I noticed a similar problem when using the previously-tested headset with another device (an exercise bike). Maybe there is a common Bluetooth compatibility issue. But that does not explain the behavior of the Moto after disconnecting from Bluetooth.

Top Kudoed Authors