Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z Play
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-26-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 3

Broken/blacked out screen, can't transfer my data

2017-03-26, 17:11 PM

Hi All, 

New to the forum and fairly new to my motorola moto z play droid. So....I broke the screen already. Not nearly as durable as my samsung for sure! Anyway, i want to transfer the data off my phone to my computer. I get the sounds as though they are making a connection, but it doesn't show up on my puter. I'm guessing its because its waiting for me to answer a prompt on the phone to allow the connection? If so, i can't see the prompt because my screen is blacked out. Any ideas? How can i get the info off my phone?

Thanks!

Options

121 Posts

10-13-2016

United States of America

178 Signins

1786 Page Views

• Views: 1786
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Broken/blacked out screen, can't transfer my data

2017-03-26, 19:25 PM

Of all the times I've tried to connect these phones to a computer, I had to manually tell the device to make the connection for USB transfer. I don't understand why they don't default to that when it's plugged into another device, since it charges anyways when it's connected that way.

Your carrier might be able to help you, since I know they can do transfers with their equipment, or hope that maybe everything may have been backed up in a cloud service. There may be other options, but I can't think of any, not at least without the screen working.

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."
-Bruce Lee
Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2725 Signins

25655 Page Views

• Views: 25655
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Broken/blacked out screen, can't transfer my data

2017-03-26, 19:27 PM

Sorry to hear about your phone.  There is a notification on your phone when connected to a computer...to switch the default connected behavior from Charging to File Transfer.  I don't believe that can be activated without tapping the Notification on the screen.  Hopefully someone else will have some ideas that may help; but I have no idea how to get your personal data off the phone with a completely dead screen.  I assume you don't have an SD Card in the phone with pictures saved there?

~Scott
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms