US

13 Signins

199 Page Views

• Views: 199
  • Message 1 of 16

'Camera has stopped' error on Moto Z Play Droid

2018-05-03, 16:08 PM

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a Moto Z Play droid second hand and all seemed to be going well until I tried using the camera. Everytime I try and open the camera app I get the message 'The Camera has stopped'. If I try and use a third party camera app it just says 'Failed to open camera'. Here's a video of what i'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/a/cAluUSR

The flashlight function also doesn't work(I assume because it uses the flash light of the camera?). I'm kind of assuming it's a hardware problem and I'm just out of luck based on what I've tried - but I thought i'd see if anyone has any advice.

Things I've tried:
-safe mode

-3rd party camera app

-clearing 'camera' and 'camera tuner' app's data/cache 
-factory reset

Options

7407 Posts

03-05-2018

US

948 Signins

125401 Page Views

• Views: 125401
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: 'Camera has stopped' error on Moto Z Play Droid

2018-05-03, 17:31 PM

Hi Half-Blue,

Sorry to know about that. The only option left I think we missed is to force stopped your camera (Settings > Apps > Camera > Force Stopped). I'd just like to verify, do your applications reinstalled automatically after the reset? 

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

05-03-2018

US

13 Signins

199 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2018-05-03, 17:34 PM
Hey Rich,

You're more than welcome to look at any apps to see if it's causing the problem. Unfortunately I have tried forcing stop on camera, but the problem always persists. If it helps at all, sometimes i get the 'camera has stopped' message when i'm not even trying to use the camera. It will just randomly pop up when i'm doing other things on my phone
Options

3707 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2615 Signins

24995 Page Views

• Views: 24995
  • Message 4 of 16

2018-05-03, 17:50 PM

From what you have described it sounds like a hardware failure.  You could try going to Settings > Device Help > Fix tab > Hardware Tests > and run the Rear camera and Flash tests to see what happens.  Did the seller happen to rpovide any kind of return or faulty equipment warranty?

~Scott
Options

5 Posts

05-03-2018

US

13 Signins

199 Page Views

• Message 5 of 16

2018-05-03, 18:03 PM

I kinda figured that it was a hardware failure. I got the phone off of ebay and it was an As Is auction so i can't be too upset that something doesn't work. Interestingly enough though, camera and flash tests do not even appear as options in my hardware tests (I've updated the imgur album with a picture of what i see for hardware tests).

I did read on one forum post someone had a simmilar problem and "tightning the screws on the back of the case" fixed the issue, but it looks like doing that would require using a heat gun to open the case and it's probably all around more trouble than it's worth

Out of curiosity, if i bought a moto camera mod, do you think it would function correctly?

Options

3707 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2615 Signins

24995 Page Views

• Views: 24995
  • Message 6 of 16

2018-05-03, 18:29 PM

If the Camera and Flash do not appear in the Hardware Test section that must mean that Android does not even recognize that the camera is hooked to the phone.  I wonder if someone took the phone apart and left the camera disconnected?  I don't know if the Hasselblad Mod would work or not, not sure if it's tied to the built-in camera in any way.  It would be an expensive idea to test.

~Scott
Options

5 Posts

05-03-2018

US

13 Signins

199 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2018-05-03, 18:38 PM
Well it's also a moto z droid(the Verizon version) which is unlocked even though apparently that's supposed to be impossibe (I'm using it on at&t) so they definitely did something to it :P anyway thanks for all your help!
Options

7407 Posts

03-05-2018

US

948 Signins

125401 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2018-05-03, 19:03 PM

Hi Half-Blue,

Thanks for updating your profile. I haven't seen any apps that may cause this issue. However, can you please check your camera settings? Please go to Apps > Camera > Permission (Make sure all are enabled). Also does the "large text" enabled in the Settings? Please check Settings > Accessibility > Disable Large Text.  If nothing has changed please uninstall updates from the camera. Go to Settings > Apps > Camera > 3 dots > Uninstall Updates.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

05-03-2018

US

13 Signins

199 Page Views

• Message 9 of 16

2018-05-03, 19:09 PM
Hi Rich,

I've tried all three of those settings but unfortunately the error is still there
Options

7407 Posts

03-05-2018

US

948 Signins

125401 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2018-05-03, 20:16 PM

Hi Half-Blue,

I actually consulted my team in regard to this. We suspect that this is more likely a hardware issue. We've verified that you already reset the phone and yet camera still shows crashing even after the reset. I believe that we've already performed all necessary troubleshooting steps I'm not seeing any other things we can do to sort this out. In this case, I would suggest sending the phone for repair/replacement. You can contact us to check your warranty option, here's the link. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

05-03-2018

US

6 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 11 of 16

Another Moto Z Play with "Camera has stopped" error.

2018-05-04, 0:04 AM

The wife and I bought 2 Moto Z Play Droid phones from Verizon a bit over a year ago. Recently, her camera stopped working. It would pop up a "Camera has stopped" error message. I could usually clear it up by force-stopping the Camera app and maybe also rebooting the camera. At the suggestion of a Verizon employee, I did a factory reset on the phone but that didn't clear it up. 

I see others with this issue on this forum. One suggestion was:

However, can you please check your camera settings? Please go to Apps > Camera > Permission (Make sure all are enabled). Also does the "large text" enabled in the Settings? Please check Settings > Accessibility > Disable Large Text.  If nothing has changed please uninstall updates from the camera. Go to Settings > Apps > Camera > 3 dots > Uninstall Updates.

I checked by permissions and made sure they were all enabled (though I don't see why the camera needs access to my phone and contacts). I don't even see a "Disable Large Text" option under Settings > Accessibility. I have gone the camera settings and uninstall all updates. Still no joy.

Another suggestion was:

You could try going to Settings > Device Help > Fix tab > Hardware Tests > and run the Rear camera and Flash tests to see what happens. 

Perhaps it's my version of Android (I have 7.1.1 if that makes a difference), but I don't see this as an option either.

I bought this phone on a 2-year payment plan and I still have 10 months or so to go on it, despite it being out of warranty. Being retired, I'm not in a position to pay it off and buy another phone just to get the bloody camera working. I wouldn't even bother except that MoviePass is now requiring me to take a picture of my ticket stub and send it in as part of the check-in process.

Reps at three different Verizon stores have told me that they have seen this problem and while it is not common, it seems to be a known issue. What can I do to fix it on my own (if that's possible)? How much would it cost to have it fixed (if it is not fixable by me)?

Options

7407 Posts

03-05-2018

US

948 Signins

125401 Page Views

• Message 12 of 16

Re: Another Moto Z Play with "Camera has stopped" error.

2018-05-04, 18:31 PM

Hi JerryLBell,

Sorry to know that you're also having this issue. I'm the one moderating Z series community so I merged your post here. Do you still remember anything before this issue occurred? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Options

2 Posts

05-03-2018

US

6 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 13 of 16

2018-05-08, 19:49 PM

Do you still remember anything before this issue occurred? 

I remember a LOT before this issue occurred. It didn't damage my memory at all!

Joking aside, the problem started not long (but not immediately) after the latest system update. I think I've given all the other pertinent details in my original post. 

Options

7407 Posts

03-05-2018

US

948 Signins

125401 Page Views

• Message 14 of 16

2018-05-16, 21:29 PM

Hi JerryLBell,

Thanks for updating. This is more likely a hardware issue. I would suggest sending the phone for repair/replacement. Here's the link to the instruction.  You may also contact us in case you need further assistance regarding your warranty options. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Options

2 Posts

03-28-2017

US

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 15 of 16

2018-05-23, 16:55 PM

Hi, 

Like Jerry's issue, I havethe Moto Z Play and I just recently did a update. I have the same problems with my camera.  I have tried the methods suggested on here and still nothing..

Options

1 Posts

11-15-2018

IN

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 16 of 16

2018-11-15, 17:43 PM

Guys, I had the same problem. 

I just removed the smart lock ( Facial recognition ). 

Settings -> Security -> Smart Lock -> Trusted Face -> Delete

Then

Settings -> App -> Camera ->Force Stop ----- Disable and again Enable.

Power off Device ( Don't restart ), for some reason it works only when you power off and On the device. 

Fortunately this worked for me. Hope it works for you guys.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save