Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffreyabr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,782
Message 1 of 9

Camera is unable to focus

I have a Moto Z2 Play that I have been using for a little less than six months. By and large, the phone has been very functional.

Recently, I have noticed that the camera has had some trouble focusing. I can't really pinpoint when this started, but I do believe that this is software related.

My reason for saying that can be seen in my attached photos. All photos of my bookshelf are taken from about two feet away. The screenshots labeled Dark Focus and Light Focus show that the camera app is adjusting aperture. Mechanically, the camera module must be fine.

Yesterday, the camera was focusing fine. I took a photo of my computer screen just inches away that focused fine. You can notice some out of focus elements in the top left and maybe bottom right, but I figured that was just because I was up and close. Another one took a photo of an awning and was able to focus relatively fine even though I was walking very quickly.

The screenshot labeled Zoom Focus shows that even after I zoom into a spot on the bookshelf and focus, the camera app actually does nothing.

The photo (filename IMG) attached shows the result of an attempt at a photo. 

The camera is clean and in proper working order. I have rebooted and shutdown the phone a few times to no avail. I have cleared data associate with the Moto Camera app, Google Camera app, and Camera Zoom FX app, all of which exhibit the same issues. 

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. I was looking forward to taking some good photos on my phone during my upcoming vacation. Looking like that might not be the case now.

Zoom Focus.pngZoom FocusLight Focus.pngLight FocusDark Focus.pngDark Focus

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,773
Message 2 of 9

Re: Camera is unable to focus

Hi jeffreyabr,

Thanks for posting and for the sample photos. Make sure that the Moto Camera is up to date in Playstore, just go to Playstore and search Moto Camera. I would also, recommend testing this on safe mode. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

jeffreyabr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,766
Message 3 of 9

Hi RIch,

Thank you for responding so quickly. I rebooted into Safe Mode and tried to test the camera, but the issue still persists. 

You can see the same Focus issue, however the aperture is still being adjusted in this new observation of adjustment on Dark and Light.

Any further suggestions? What would this be indicative of?

SMB2
What's DOS?
Views: 1,708
Message 4 of 9

I am having this exact same issue with my Moto ZPlay.

My camara is up to date. I also tried a 3rd party camera app and had the same issue. 

It seem to me like it is a software problem. 

Any sugestions on what I can do to solve this problem? 

jeffreyabr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,672
Message 5 of 9

Hey guys, just wanted to circle back and see if you were still working on this it it there arew any other ideas for me to try.

Jeff

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,647
Message 6 of 9

Hi jeffreyabr,

Thanks for posting back. Is it doing the same thing while taking videos? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Ivanzhan
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 7 of 9

Couple days ago have got exact the same problem with Moto z play. Main camera unable to focus in photo and video mode. Tryed to re-install Moto camera app, security mode with no results. Could you please advise if problem has been solved and how? Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 650
Message 8 of 9

Hi Ivanzhan,

Thanks for posting on this thread. Can you share a sample photo? Have you tried adjusting the focus to manual? (Just tap the "A" icon and change to the icon "M". Let me know. Thanks

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Ivanzhan
Paper Tape
Views: 619
Message 9 of 9

Hi, I tried both Auto and manual, photo and video, it doesn't focus in any more. It focusing good only on short distance (macro) with boke effect background. Screenshot_20190829-222704.png

Screenshot_20190829-222747.png

Screenshot_20190829-222809.png

Top Kudoed Authors