Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Play
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

12-29-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

199 Page Views

• Views: 199
  • Message 1 of 14

Change USB connection default

2018-01-02, 13:10 PM

How can I change the default connection method when plugging in the USB cable?  RIght now, it defaults to "Charge this device" but I would really like it to be "Transfer files".  I found an article that suggested turning on "Developer options" and setting the "Select USB Configuration" option.  I've changed that value to MTP.  I've even rebooted the phone to no effect.  

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Can any one help? 

Thanks.

Options

956 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1100 Signins

6496 Page Views

• Views: 6496
  • Message 2 of 14

Re: Change USB connection default

2018-01-02, 13:41 PM

I don't know of a permanent method, but just swiping down from the very top of the phone after a connection and choosing the notification ABOUT the connection allows a change.

This is more secure than leaving it as set to transfer files, requiring a physical presense by the user before the phone can transfer files. Even if you do find a way to permanently change the setting you may not want to, so the phone itself remains more secure.

Options

9 Posts

12-29-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

199 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2018-01-02, 14:09 PM
I understand that I can change it at each connection by swiping down. That's what I'm doing now. I'm just looking for a way of setting that value permanently (or even just until the next reboot).
I'm not sure I understand why changing the connection setting to MTP would make the phone less secure. Can you explain it?
Options

956 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1100 Signins

6496 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2018-01-03, 17:25 PM

Because...any time you connected to any computer or other device that could potentially allow the transfer of files, it could happen without your specific authorization/physical action.

I would not engage such a setting if there was one.

back in 2013 there were reports of malicious USB chargers that could target iphones, in 2016 a report of a charger that could control Android keyboards...so the potential exists, especially if you have ever plugged your phone into some charger you do not specifically own. Google "malicious charger" and see what comes up.

While there is no specific exploit reported for an up to date Z2 play like that...why risk the potential?

Options

81 Posts

10-02-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

112 Signins

480 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 480
  • Message 5 of 14

2018-01-03, 19:15 PM

Why risk  you ask.

because there is perhaps nothing on the phone that would be a problem if taken and it is such a pain to have to keep changing it.

Especialy as you cant change it until it is connected and by the time you can change it, the sync software reports the phone as not responding.

Further, if it is such a risk (which i accept) then the system could ask you to authorise syncing to known device only, sync only pre approved file types or from pre designated folders. there must be many other ways too.

Its a small point but another irritant having moved from windows phone.

Options

956 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1100 Signins

6496 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2018-01-03, 22:37 PM

Preauthorization of trusted devices is not a bad idea...but that would be an Android feature submission to Google to ask for, not a function of the phone's hardware.

You may want to suggest it to Google as a feature request for future versions of the Android OS.

Options

81 Posts

10-02-2017

112 Signins

480 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2018-01-19, 13:32 PM

Thank you.

From what I am reading that would be a complete waste of time, they dont seem to act on suggestions.

good of you to reply though.

Options

9 Posts

12-29-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

199 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2018-01-19, 16:23 PM

While I understand the need for security, not providing a way of overriding the setting seems to be an incomplete implementation.  

In addition, no one has given a reason that in the Developer's options, changing the "Select USB Configuration" doesn't work. I've set mine to MTP but each time I connect, it's still defaulting to Charge Only.  

Why provide a setting that doesn't work?  

I'm careful what I plug my phone into.  I don't use strange cables or public charging stations.  I don't need the "security" of connection methods.  

At this point, I doubt I'll find an acceptable solution and will just live with the behavior.  

Options

81 Posts

10-02-2017

112 Signins

480 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2018-01-20, 8:49 AM

The selection is for each session it is not remembered.

I used to plug my windows phone in and the pc transfered all my new photos automatically, now having to select mtp after connecting the usb cable stops the transfers woorking and you have to restart "photos"and then select external device - phone for it to work.

such a faff!

I dont get why windows phone was so berrated when having had to move away from it has resulted in signifficant loss of functionality.

ie. Nothing visible to say a text is waiting, or a missed call etc (I know there is a miniscule icon at the top which i can't see)

Not able to use an assistant via bluetooth in the car.

no auto sync on usb.

Unfathomable and complicated operating system and one which is defaulting to spying on me all the time.

All this loss so people could have a million apps to turn their flashlight on...crazy

(not any critisism to motorola or their phones)

Options

11 Posts

01-24-2018

Belgium

8 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 10 of 14

2018-01-24, 10:54 AM

Other question re Moto Z play. I have tried multiple data usb c cables and multiple laptops/desktops. It's doing nothing (neither charging nor making connection for file transfers). I did some reading on this forum and tried the 'sweeping down' thing (in which case I do not have any usb pop-up. I also tried the tap 7 times --> 'developer options' --> switch usb debugging to 'on'. The latter doesn't change a thing. It is as my cellphone doesn't recognize that it is connected via the usb port.

The usb port does however work (e.g. it charges with the moto turbo charger). It has nothing to do with the usb ports on my computers (which are working fine with other devices). Problem is my moto z play device.

Feedback would be appreciated...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms