Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CycloneCorey
Not applicable
Views: 10,225
Message 1 of 105

Extreme battery drain Z2 Play

Recently bought this phone (Verizon) and it seems that the battery life is really terrible. So much so that I feel like something is wrong with my phone. It is so bad that I actually went out and bought the Mophie battery mod so that I can get through a day. Typically I will end the day at only like 15% left on the battery mod (and the phone at 80% where the mod keeps it). I almost never watch movies and am almost always on wifi. I look at my battery usage and 31% is from cell standby. Really? It is the highest use. Heck the screen is only 19%. Something just doesn't seem right. Any ideas? Thanks.

MattForumsMngr
Not applicable
Views: 10,021
Message 2 of 105

Re: Extreme battery drain Z2 Play

@CycloneCorey wrote:

Recently bought this phone (Verizon) and it seems that the battery life is really terrible. So much so that I feel like something is wrong with my phone. It is so bad that I actually went out and bought the Mophie battery mod so that I can get through a day. Typically I will end the day at only like 15% left on the battery mod (and the phone at 80% where the mod keeps it). I almost never watch movies and am almost always on wifi. I look at my battery usage and 31% is from cell standby. Really? It is the highest use. Heck the screen is only 19%. Something just doesn't seem right. Any ideas? Thanks.

No, that doesn't sound right. It sounds like you have a poor signal -- can you tell from the notification bar if you are not getting a strong cell connection?

I can generally help using your IMEI to look for clues, which you do have in your profile -- thanks! But can you please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems? If you turn on the sharing and give us a few days to collect some data, we can take a look.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
CycloneCorey
Not applicable
Views: 10,019
Message 3 of 105

Moto privacy is set to on and yes, please take a look. Thanks.

onsted
Not applicable
Views: 9,951
Message 4 of 105

Glad Matt got his crew on your issue - I have some niggling annoyances with my Z2P, but battery life has NOT been one of them. I spend more time that I'd like in low-signal territory, hop back and forth between on-air data and wifi all day, and get better than a day and a half's usage from an 80-85% charge.

CycloneCorey
Not applicable
Views: 9,910
Message 5 of 105

Here's today. Fully charged at the start of the day (phone and battery mod). After 17 hours we are still at 80% on the phone due to the mod, but it's battery is down to 55%. Didn't really use my phone too much today. Just seems off. 50% of the usage went to cell standby. My signal was always decent. Puzzled.

CycloneCorey
Not applicable
Views: 9,907
Message 6 of 105

Here's the signal strengths.

rs12585
Not applicable
Views: 9,786
Message 7 of 105

Matt,

This seems to be a known issue affecting the Moto z2 play. I'm suffering from the same problems and so is a college at work that has the same phone. Cell phone standby is the highest usage under the battery stat by far. On a full charge, it consumes more than 50% of the battery stat. A software update is needed to correct the issue.
onsted
Not applicable
Views: 9,745
Message 8 of 105

Don't use (or feel a need) for a battery mod, but after 17 hours, 55% battery life SOUNDS pretty good ... ! "Cell Standby" on mine is also a large part of my battery consumption as well, but the sum-total life of a charge is what matters most and 24-30 useful hours out of a charge is, to me, a solid design.
MIF
Not applicable
Views: 9,575
Message 9 of 105

My Z2 Play looses 50% of its battery charge in a few minutes. See the photo.
I charged it to 100% then put it in flight mode for the night. When I turned it on the next morning it went from 100% charge down to 50% extremely quickly.
I believe there is something fundamentally wrong with this phone. It is new, bought it only one and a half month ago.
Any idea on what to do ?

Batterie Motorola.jpeg

MattForumsMngr
Not applicable
Views: 9,520
Message 10 of 105

@MIF wrote:

My Z2 Play looses 50% of its battery charge in a few minutes. See the photo.
I charged it to 100% then put it in flight mode for the night. When I turned it on the next morning it went from 100% charge down to 50% extremely quickly.
I believe there is something fundamentally wrong with this phone. It is new, bought it only one and a half month ago.
Any idea on what to do ?

Batterie Motorola.jpeg

This looks like a calibration problem, or at least that's the first thing I'd address. Please do a hard reset (hold the physical power key down for 10-15 seconds until the screen goes dark - the phone will restart). Then,  charge your battery to 100% and leave it on the charger for at least a couple of hours. That will recalibrate the battery meter and it could address this issue.

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate if the calibration doesn't help. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Top Kudoed Authors