Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,043
Message 1 of 29

HELP: Phone connected to PC (Transfer Files): files shown as folders...

Dear all,

I have a problem when connecting my Z2 Play to PC (Windows 7 x64 Ultimate) via USB. If I connect in "Transfer files" mode and see phone's files in Windows Explorer, I go under Portable Devices, Moto Z2 Play, and either in "Internal shared storage" or "SD card", any files there that are not images, txt or doc, for instance, any file that is docx, pdf, exe, etcetera, are shown as empty file folders, that means that I cannot copy any docx document, any pdf, any exe or other file extensions from the phone to pc. Any way to make my Windows Explorer able to see the device as a USB memory flash so files are files, with their size, and not just useless folders?

Thanks a lot in advance and Best Regards

Raúl

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,005
Message 2 of 29

Re: HELP: Phone connected to PC (Transfer Files): files shown as folders...

Hi anubis_rpg,

Thanks for posting. Can you please send a screenshot of what you're seeing when you open the file via your computer? Can you access these files on your phone?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 990
Message 3 of 29

Thanks Rich for your answer!

I attach the view from the phone of a certain folder, you see folders and files. No problem with opening them when using the phone, etc.

I2019-03-19 11.39.41.png

If I see the same filder when connected to computer (File transfer), I see this:

W7_1.jpg

You see the pdf's now are file folders. If I double click one of the invoices, is like opening a folder indeed, actually like opening en empty folder:

W7_2.jpg

Copying the pdf from phone to computer would be, as expected, like copying an empty folder, so no content. As you can see, the image and the txt file are fine.

Let me know if there's any way to solve this. Sometimes I use my phone as massive pendrive.

Thanks a lot in advance and Best Regards

Raúl

Artim96
802.11n
Views: 983
Message 4 of 29

Have you tried connecting via FTP or SMB? How did it look there? It's clearly a Windows problem, can you get updated drivers?

anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 981
Message 5 of 29

Hi Artim,

Yes, viat FTP everything is fine. I don't know if it's a windows problem, I have several Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machines giving the same problem, but I also tried a Windows XP and a Windows 10 with the same result....

I tried to update the Moto Z2 Portable Device drivers but unsuccessfully...

Thanks and Regards

Raúl
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 968
Message 6 of 29

Hi anubis_rpg,

This is odd. Let's try to isolate this, can you please send the pdf files to your Email and from there try downloading it to your computer, and see if you can open the file. Also, we'd like to replicate if this is specific to your pdf file. Can you please send me the pdf so we can try this in our end? Thank you. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Artim96
802.11n
Views: 965
Message 7 of 29

Sounds like a buggy MTP driver. Or the device builds a defect database for MTP but I don't know how you could fix that. Maybe with a factory reset
anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 941
Message 8 of 29

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your answer. Actually, these pdf's were examples, as I said, appart from picture, txt, html formats, any file in any other format, like office, pdf, exe, or any other file extension particular for any program, is shown as an empty file folder, when viewing content on PC. If you see content from the phone, everything is normal, you can send files from phone via email, bluetooth, file transfer, etc. Therefore, there's nothing wrong with the files that are not shown properly in the pc.

Let me know if there could be any solution, have you ever heard about something like this?

Thanks again and Best Regards

Raúl

anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 938
Message 9 of 29

Hi Artim,

Thanks, it might be, but when I connect via USB to a new computer, for instance, I see how the MTP driver is properly installed (at least it says so) and you can navigate to folders... At the moment I cannot resinstall the phone to factory settings, Iwould need a less agressive solution, so to speak...

Thanks again!

Raúl

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 928
Message 10 of 29

Hi Raúl,

I'm not aware of any instances like this but we'd like to replicate this with the files that you have if that's okay with you. Also please try the suggestion I provided in my previous post. Send these files to your email and download it to your computer, check and see if you can open the files. Will appreciate any results. Let me know, thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Top Kudoed Authors