cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 240
Message 11 of 29

Re: HELP: Phone connected to PC (Transfer Files): files shown as folders...

Hi Rich,

Yes, I followed your test. I sent those pdfs and other files via email with the phone and when I opened in my Pc they were normal, as expected, normal files that Icould open. Files are shown as folders only when I connect phone to pc via MTP and try to see content from Windows Explorer from computer....

Thanks again and Best Regards

Raúl

Artim96
802.11n
Views: 234
Message 12 of 29

Well, that Windows says that they are fine doesn't mean anything. You can try to uninstall them and let Windows update reinstall them or search for a installation file (Windows update installations are far from perfect).

You can also try if that error does appear too when you boot into secure mode. Don't think Moto has the ability to use MTP from fastboot or recovery.

It's possible that your installation is somehow corrupted but it's hard to find that out, especially if you have no other device with MTP abilities to check. There are possibilities to flash the stock ROM without doing a factory reset, but I doubt it's wanted in this forum.
anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 233
Message 13 of 29

Hi Artim,

You say:

Well, that Windows says that they are fine doesn't mean anything. You can try to uninstall them and let Windows update reinstall them or search for a installation file (Windows update installations are far from perfect).

Which files do you mean? Uninstall what?

Also:

It's possible that your installation is somehow corrupted but it's hard to find that out, especially if you have no other device with MTP abilities to check. 

You mean installation? Windows installation? All windows I tried showed the same error. Furthermore, those machines work perfectly when connecting other phones in the same conditions, I mean MTP and reading the files...

Thanks again for your help!

Raúl

Artim96
802.11n
Views: 231
Message 14 of 29

@anubis_rpg wrote:

Hi Artim,

You say:

Which files do you mean? Uninstall what?

Also:

It's possible that your installation is somehow corrupted but it's hard to find that out, especially if you have no other device with MTP abilities to check. 

You mean installation? Windows installation? All windows I tried showed the same error. Furthermore, those machines work perfectly when connecting other phones in the same conditions, I mean MTP and reading the files...

Thanks again for your help!

Raúl

With files of course I mean MTP drivers.

And with installation I mean the system on your phone. It's possible that Windows isn't the problem but your phone

anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 224
Message 15 of 29

Ah, ok, I understand, is there any way to reinstall those MTP drivers separately??

Thanks and Regards

Raúl

Artim96
802.11n
Views: 207
Message 16 of 29

Don't know. In theory Windows should install them when they are not present and an MTP device is connected, otherwise you'll have to search for the drivers
anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 196
Message 17 of 29

Exactly, when I connect to a new windows device, I perfectly see the message saying MTP device installed correctly, in fact I can see the files, but only media files, txt, html, but pdf's, exe's, whatever other extensions, shown as file folders... so frustrating...

Artim96
802.11n
Views: 187
Message 18 of 29

So only some files are shown wrong? Well, that's interesting.
But I start to think this isn't the best place to find a solution, you might want to head over to a Windows forum, even if it's only that you can make sure if the problem is Windows or your phone
anubis_rpg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 184
Message 19 of 29

Yep, media files are fine in general, also txt, html, but any other extension, such the aforementioned pdf, but also let's say, cab, msu, sys, etc, whatever usded for other software, shown as file folders, strange... I might think is a windows problem, but I saw this problem in a broad spectrum of MS SO's, from windows XP to 7, and also 10, that's why I think it's rather within phone environment, rather than windows issue...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 162
Message 20 of 29

Hi anubis_rpg,

We have tested this with some sample pdf and doc files and it looks fine on our computer. They aren't showing up as folders, they are just showing up as the normal files. I agree that it has something to do with  Windows. I recommend reporting this Microsoft support as well. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Top Kudoed Authors