Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blkid
Punch Card
Views: 4,204
Message 1 of 30

Huge problem (again) with mobile reception: total signal loss

Hi, i find myself here, asking for help for huge reception problems on my third moto z2 play.

I replaced it 2 times for this problems, and now again, since about a month, my third moto z2 play has started to have big connection problems, like the other two.

Often in my house, and ever the signal is not very strong, my z2 play is not able to connect to the mobile network, when other phones make it big. In my house the signal falls continuously, returns for a while and then disappears again for hours, finding myself continuously isolated!

At first time i thought (since i replaced it 2 times!) that was a carrier problem. So i called the carrier support in the first days of April, that did not find any problem in the network. After 15-20 days, still having problems, i called again the carrier support, who proceeded with a SIM reset, also this without success. So 2 days ago i called again and they opened a trouble ticket, still not closed, but at today i still have problems.

Meanwhile, i tried the mobile setting reset in my phone, clear cache but the problem is still present. I also tried to remove the second sim and using it in single sim, but also with only 1 sim the problem is present.

So, yesterday i borrowed my mother's phone, a *removed* 130 euro honor 6c pro, and connect greatly with my sim in my house!!!! Where my Moto z2 play notify to me NO SERVICE, the Honor 6c Pro with my sim is able to do a speed test!!!!

Today i made another test and i discovered a strange behavior in my Moto z2 play. Basically, even if it is notified no service, if i launch a manual search of the mobile network i can find my carrier (TIM).  But if i try a manual selection, is notified "The selected network is not avaible" and the phone is not able to connect, but if i retry a manual search my network is still there.

So now, apart from throwing the phone in the trash and never buy motorola forever (is the third phone with this problem!), is there any chance that this is a software bug? Why if i launch a manual search the network is avaible but the phone is not able to connect?

Here some screenshots of the test:

1. Sim 1 with no service and I TIM (my carrier) Avabile

Screenshot_20180510-212943.png

2. Try to register to I TIM

Screenshot_20180510-212841.png

3. Network Selected Not Avabile

Screenshot_20180510-212846.png

However, i have strong doubts that it is a problem sw, since also the second sim (which in the screenshots has 3 notches on 4) often has a behaviorally fluctuating, going from 3 to 0 continuously very often....

As i wrote before, the carrier is TIM Italy.

I hope in some reply.

Greetings.

Edited: due to site rules violation -preferred language

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,149
Message 2 of 30

Re: Huge problem (again) with mobile reception: total signal loss

Hi blkid,

Sorry to know about that. Thanks for explaining it further, I appreciate it. There are a couple of reasons why you're having a low cellular signal with your phone, one is your location, it could be the tower of your carrier is far from your location, also the environment in your location is also a factor. It could also be the band of your sim. Have you tried moving to another place/city to check if the reception will improve? As I understand it seems like the Voda has a better reception in your area. Also, where did you purchase the phone?

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems. 

Need help updating your profile? See here.  Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

blkid
Punch Card
Views: 4,143
Message 3 of 30

Actually i can assert that the problem is absolutely not the carrier.

Yes, in my house there is low signal, but i had this problem with the various z2 play that i had with 3 different carrier. Before having the z2 play my sim was Vodafone, that yes have better reception in my area. But with my second z2 play (i had the first for bit time and replaced soon for usb connector problems) i start to have big problem because the phone was able to connect to 4g but not 3g, so i could use the data but if somebody called me my phone resulted turned off (!!!), or if i was trying to call i couldn't because it wasn't able to connect to 3g. After several day of this problem and 2 ticket opened to Vodafone IT without a solution, not believing it was the phone, i switched my sim to Wind. With wind everything went well for about 2 months and then also with this i started to have signal drop. So, checking with others phone (Xiaomi MI A1 with WInd) and considering that was the phone, i replaced, again, my z2 play for the second time.

With the third i started to have problem again with Wind but, after 3 substitutions, i could not believe it was the phone again, so i switched to TIM (also because of good promotion), that now with my third phone have started to have the problems described above.

Meanwhile, my mother came sometimes in my house with her Honor 6C Pro and:

- On her smartphone her Vodafone Sim work good ever, also in calling. She was able to call all the time, even in the period that i have the second z2 play and with vodafone i wasn't able at all to call in my house!

- With my TIM sim, tester 2 days ago as wrote before, all work good and the signal has never dropped in 2 hours of testing

My third z2 play:

- If i use my mother Vodafone sim as sim1 i have, again, problems with 3g network not avaible. So i can use internet but i can't call and i can't receive calls!

- WIth my TIM sim i have continuous drop problem.

In addiction (i forgot to tell before), tested the 8 of this month, in a cinema with a friend from work my z2 play with TIM, as usual, notified NO SIGNAL, the Huawei Mate 9 also with TIM of my friend of work, to make fun of me, has finished a speedtest at 7mbps/2mbps.

About the info requested, My phone is a reteu dual sim, bought on Amazon, replaced the last time 04/01/2018.

About looking the apps inside, before giving you the ok, exactly what information you would to see? If you want the view only the LIST of my app, check it, if you can, since I'm home and the network often falls (and I do not have wifi at home)! I updated the model and serial number in my private data.

blkid
Punch Card
Views: 4,095
Message 4 of 30

Some (bad) news about. I switched back to Wind today, and i can not do anything but confirm that there are some big problems in the Moto z2 Play.

I have also a Web Cube of 3 carrier (that i never use with the phone because I have only 1gb/day). 3 Italy and Wind italy actually merged into 1 society (Wind|3) and in the area of my house they also completed the merge of the network. So actually there is only 1 source for Wind and 3, in ran sharing (there is also illiad with 222 50 in ran sharing on the same network).

Well, with my z2 play i cannot pratically use at all the network in my house. In the same position of the webcube (huawei E5575s-210) the webcube have at least 2 notches of 5, the moto z2 play or notify no network or 0 notches of 5. If i put the webcube on the window, is able to connect to 4g, the Moto z2 play connect to 4g only if i go out on the balcony of the house.

I also experienced the same problem of no network that with manual search discover the network! Around the 9.00AM of today, when no network was notified with the z2 play positioned on the window (where the huawei cube was connected to 4g), i started a manual search and i found WIND network (and 3 and illiad 222 50, that are on the same net), and only at this point has registered on  the network (obviously in 3g, the 4g even by mistake).

So, can you kindly check the modem management on the Moto z2 play? If i'm not wrong, it seems to me that these problems have been rediscovered and fixed even on Moto X4.

I'm finishing my patience. Here I no longer received answers and I do not know what to do anymore.

I hope in an answer.

Greetings.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,073
Message 5 of 30

Hi blkid,

Thanks for the reply. Could you please provide us a bug report when you're at home? I will escalate this issue to our Product Team/Engineering Team. And by the way, what's your ZIP code? Thanks. 

Normal Bug Report:

Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

blkid
Punch Card
Views: 4,070
Message 6 of 30

My Zip code is 00142. I live in Rome, Italy obviously Smiley Very Happy

Ok, actually i can reproduce the bug of no registration after a manual search.
If i understood good, i must turn on the Enable Bug Report shortcut and, after made a manual search and a manual registration of the network (that usually cause the problem described before) i must press power button and choose bug report to create the file.
After that, i can turn off the debugging option.

It's all correct?

blkid
Punch Card
Views: 4,059
Message 7 of 30

OK, i made the bug report. Here the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XeFLroEvZBgcWihnlAQ032nSVAmQ5st7

In my house:

At around 20:20 i started the debug options.

At 20:21 i started a manual search on the SIM 1 (Wind).

At the same time the manual search has returned the list, which also included I WIND.

I chose I WIND.

After some second, so ever at 20:21, is appeared on the notification bar the warning of network not avaible.

At 20:22 is appeared a toast notification of impossible to connect to network.

At 20:23 i started the generation of bug report.

Please inform me when you download the zip, to disable the share of it.

Greetings.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,036
Message 8 of 30

Hi blkid,

Thanks for the bug report. I will report it to the team. I will keep you updated here once we have an output from them. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

blkid
Punch Card
Views: 3,997
Message 9 of 30

@blkid wrote:

OK, i made the bug report. Here the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XeFLroEvZBgcWihnlAQ032nSVAmQ5st7

In my house:

At around 20:20 i started the debug options.

At 20:21 i started a manual search on the SIM 1 (Wind).

At the same time the manual search has returned the list, which also included I WIND.

I chose I WIND.

After some second, so ever at 20:21, is appeared on the notification bar the warning of network not avaible.

At 20:22 is appeared a toast notification of impossible to connect to network.

At 20:23 i started the generation of bug report.

Please inform me when you download the zip, to disable the share of it.

Greetings.

Ok, thank you. I hope in a fast reply. I hoped in the meantime to receive oreo, where I saw the baseband has changed, to do some tests, but for the reteu still not seen. Is there a chance to receive it soon? At least to understand if something changes with the new firmware...

blkid
Punch Card
Views: 3,957
Message 10 of 30

Is there any news about? I'm still facing the problem described. A feedback would be useful

Top Kudoed Authors