06-07-2010

US

9 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 1 of 5

Moto Display not waking up on approach after screen replacement

2019-09-16, 3:11 AM

I have had a Moto Z2 Play for about a year and a half, and I have enjoyed its performance. Recently, a cat bit my phone and cracked the screen. I'm not joking. I elected to have the screen repaired.

The tech did a great job replacing the screen, however I have experienced two issues on which I was hoping to gain technical clarification.

Before I continue, I understand that if by having my phone repaired, I am beyond Motorola's official support, however, it might help me in my pursuit to resolve these issues if someone can shed some light on my problems.

While I have always had "Approach for Moto Display" enabled, since the screen replacement, I have had moderate success with the feature.

Additionally, where I was previously able to place any finger on the fingerprint scanner when the screen was off in order to wake the device, this only works about 50% of the time. 

I came upon this thread regarding similar issues. In that thread, @Agent_Rich notes that there is a hardware test under the Device Help app for the Proximity Sensor. 

I performed the steps in the test, waving my hand just over the screen and also inches away, however the icon did not change. It is in a permanent green check mark state. I also rebooted into Safe Mode and experienced the same results. This leads to the conclusion that there is an issue with the proximity sensor. 

When I inspected the phone, I noticed that there appears to be some separation (about the size of a sewing needle) between the screen and the phone at the top of the device. Sorry for the poor quality photo. It's too close for the iPhone camera to focus. 

I will note that I did point this out before I left the repair store, and the tech believed that this would not affect performance.

Upon pressing and holding down that part of the screen, I am now able to receive a response for the proximity sensor test in the Device Help app. 

Holding down the top part of the phone also results in the phone's fingerprint scanner waking the device when the screen has gone to sleep.

I have also had some intermitant issues with the Adaptive Brightness, which I have been able to resolve by pressing the top of the screen down when a cieling light is directly above me. 

This leads me to the unsubstantiated conclusion that the screen needs to be closer to the proximity sensor in order for the Approach to Wake feature to function.

As far as the fingerprint scanner, I would like some clarification as to whether the two are related. Does the device wake in any way with the proximity sensor that the top being slightly separated would affect its ability to read input?

Are there any ways to calibrate the proximity sensor? Is my only resolution likely the reseating of the screen?

Thank you fro any and all insight and assistance. I enjoy this phone and Motorola's products. I would like to continue using them.

Solved! See the solution
Options

7464 Posts

03-05-2018

US

953 Signins

126076 Page Views

• Views: 126076
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Moto Display not waking up on approach after screen replacement

2019-09-16, 20:14 PM

Hi jeffreyabr,

Appreciate your post. I would consider the screen replacement is affecting the proximity sensor. As far as troubleshooting steps we can try, please make sure you're not using a screen protector/phone case. If you have one, kindly take them off from the screen. Do a full factory data reset without restoring your backup just so we can isolate third-party apps as one of the factors. Otherwise, it is recommended to send the device for a replacement (Warranty claim). 

Settings > System > Reset > Factory Data Reset

If you have things to backup, kindly do so before doing the reset so you won't lose them. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

7 Posts

06-07-2010

US

9 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2019-09-17, 15:58 PM

Hi Rich,

Thank you for the reply.

Just so I have something solid to go on, can you confirm for me the hardware relationship between the fingerprint scanner and the proximity sensor? In another thread, you mentioned that the Moto Z3 Play's wake on approach was related to a supersonic wave, not necessarily the proximity sensor. Does that same relationship exist on the Z2 Play model or are my symptoms indicative of the proximity sensor being thrown off by the screen's distance from the sensor?

Furthermore, as you can see from this video, the hardware test for the proximity sensor shows a green check mark as you open the test. It is only able to change back to a ? when the top of the screen is pressed down. From there, the icon responds when the proximity sensor is tested.

Finally, I have seen that there appear to be apps, such as Proximity Sensor Reset (Calibrate and repair), which purportedly recalibrate and reset the proximity sensor. Can you speak to the effectiveness an app like this might have? 

Thank you for your help.

JEff

Options

7464 Posts

03-05-2018

US

953 Signins

126076 Page Views

• Views: 126076
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-09-19, 20:39 PM

Hi jeffreyabr,

Thanks for checking that. That's absolutely right, the feature is depending on the supersonic wave. I'd like to confirm though, during phone calls, does the screen dims as expected when you put it onto your ear and/or just by blocking the proximity sensor? Fingerprint has a different sensor as far as I can tell - its functionality won't depend on the proximity sensor. Sorry about the confusion on my initial response. I haven't asked this on my previous post, did you send the phone to out of warranty repair center acknowledge by Motorola?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

7 Posts

06-07-2010

US

9 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2019-09-23, 17:50 PM

Hi Rich,

Thank you for clarifying. 

Upon reviewing the behavior that the phone was displaying combined with my "experiments," the information from the Device Help app, and your confirmation about the relationship between the sensors and the screen, I pursued the conclusion that the screen was separated just far enough from the phone to be causing the issue. I took the device back to the repair shop, and the tech was kind enough to reseat the LCD. The top of the screen (including the proximity sensor) no longer protrudes from the top of the phone. The Wake on Approach feature now works as expected, just as it did before. The fingerprint scanner is able to wake the device from a screen-off state. 

To your question, during phone calls, the screen dimmed, however when I removed the phone from my ear mid-call, it did not light back up. This was yet another feature that was disrupted by the sensor being inhibited. 

I consider this issue resolved. I am glad Motorola makes devices which are so easily repaired. 

Thanks again.

Jeff

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save