11-13-2016

AU

13 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 11 of 30

Re: Moto Mod Style shell bending while charging

2016-11-13, 0:27 AM

I'm in Australia, have the Moto Z play and suffer the same issue. Its definitely affected by heat being either through charging or ambient environmental temperature. This week we had a 44 deg c day so 112 in American and the shell bent like a banana. I held it against the A/C vent in my car and you could see it return to flat. I have noticed it's now curling in from right to left also in addition to bending top to bottom. 

Clearly thermal properties of the shells haven't been tested. 

Not a deal breaker for me because despite this issue the phone is solid and better than my last Galaxy S7 Edge but would still be preferable if it didn't occur. 

I don't see bending during charging but if ambient temp rises above 30 deg c or 85f it starts and the shell literally falls off. 

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 12 of 30

2016-11-13, 5:52 AM

I used a laser thermometer to check temp. In a 50 degree F garage, phone is in pocket. Pull it out and external temp (assume from body heat) of phone is 85F - no issues. And we had 95f days here. 

Shells have been out for a while - every phone ships with one, and this is the first two reports. 

To think the shells were not tested for temp issues, is not a logical conclusion.

Which shell do you have?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

3 Posts

11-13-2016

AU

13 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 13 of 30

2016-11-13, 22:10 PM

I didn't say it was logical, in fact it would seem completely illogical. But things happen. I own a Moto Z play now because I didn't like the Galaxy Note 7 replacements being the S7 or S7 edge. 

Releasing a mobile that wasn't thoroughly tested that lead to a worldwide recall and scraping of an entire model, illogical but again things happen. 

Now, I have 3 shells. The Charcoal ash which came with the phone and is the worst offender. Once it's over 86 deg the bent rate becomes visible to 113 deg

I have the black leather which does also bent above 86 but certainly not to the banana rate of the Charcoal ash.

The Crimson ballistic nylon shell I must say doesn't suffer this problem. 

Saturday the 12th here we had a 107 deg day. I was standing in line at our local service station waiting to pay for fuel. The woman in front of me pulled out her Moto Z to pay and the shell fell off. A quick chat outside and she confirmed the same issue with her shell, washed oak. 

I contacted my retailer Harvey Norman and although the Moto range isn't hugely popular in AU the salesman was aware of the bending issue. He'd received feedback from customers looking for answers. 

We have a cooler week ahead with 80f and lower. Once we see the hotter temps I'll take some photos. 

Options

19342 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2384 Signins

59203 Page Views

• Views: 59203
  • Message 14 of 30

2016-11-14, 15:16 PM

wrote:

well for me it does. Can I claim a new one and hope that it's only a bad luck?

It's fabric style shell, black one

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/motomaker/MotoMods?selectedtab=1460489092672&poExpanded=89896N

Let me see what I can do -- I'll have someone reach out to you.

Thanks.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

7 Posts

11-10-2016

SE

9 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 15 of 30

2016-11-15, 18:13 PM

Thanks Matt.
(Hopefully I'll write the solution here later on)

What are "normal" charging temperatures using turbocharger in normal room temp? (chg_therm sensor and battery)

Lenovo/Motorola Moto Z Play
Options

1 Posts

11-30-2016

US

2 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 16 of 30

2016-11-30, 22:30 PM

Now, I have 3 shells. The Charcoal ash which came with the phone and is the worst offender. Once it's over 86 deg the bent rate becomes visible to 113 deg

I have the black leather which does also bent above 86 but certainly not to the banana rate of the Charcoal ash.

just setup my Moto Z Play last night, and left it to charge overnight without the style shell attached, and then disconnected the charger and attached the shell this morning -- everything looked nice and flat then, and was still fine when I got to work.  My office was ~80F today (hot for indoors, but I wouldn't have thought hot enough to cause plastics to bend/warp) and the phone w/shell has just been sitting on top of the desk -- face up -- and I noticed a few hours later, when I picked up the phone, that the (Charcoal Ash) style shell now has enough of a bend that there is a gap at the top if you pick it up.  The phone wasn't charging and didn't feel warm (compared to the surroundings). 

(photo below taken just moments ago)

The Crimson ballistic nylon shell I must say doesn't suffer this problem.  

perhaps I'll look into one of these (if i don't decide to go with some kind of silicone skin style thing

d

Options

3 Posts

11-13-2016

AU

13 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 17 of 30

2016-12-01, 1:21 AM

The gap you have is identical in bend rate to what I see at the temps you have mentioned. 

I was at a meeting in Brisbane City this week and a consulting engineer I was working with had just come in to the office during a 38deg c day and he actually dropped and smashed the screen on his Z play because the shell rotated off the pin and slid off. 

It's definitely an issue that needs correction. It seems the standard shell for Australia is the charcoal ash which suffers this issue.

I've gone to a silicone cover and ditched the rear shells all together. 

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 18 of 30

2016-12-01, 1:45 AM

wrote:

The gap you have is identical in bend rate to what I see at the temps you have mentioned. 

I was at a meeting in Brisbane City this week and a consulting engineer I was working with had just come in to the office during a 38deg c day and he actually dropped and smashed the screen on his Z play because the shell rotated off the pin and slid off. 

It's definitely an issue that needs correction. It seems the standard shell for Australia is the charcoal ash which suffers this issue.

I've gone to a silicone cover and ditched the rear shells all together. 

Charcoal ash is standard on all Z phones as far as i know. I have to say, i am not sure how someone holds the phone by the style cover. Mine is very thin and the bumper that ships with the z doesnt even contact the shell.  

I am not disagreeing that some bend, but it appears to be insolated to a few. I have not seen it on my phone similar temps. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

2 Posts

01-11-2017

US

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 19 of 30

2017-01-11, 4:42 AM

I have the same issue but with the incipio wireless battery. Is bended without usage.

Options

2 Posts

01-11-2017

US

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 20 of 30

2017-01-11, 4:43 AM

I have the same issue but with the incipio wireless battery. Is bended without usage.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete