Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AugustinMoto
Punch Card
Views: 327
Message 1 of 8

Moto Z Play (Model XT1635-03) won't update from Android version 6.0.1

Motorola Comunity,

I own a Moto Z Play - (Model XT1635-03), Software Variant and Channel: retcn. It's running Android version 6.0.1

The IMEI of the phone (taken using the Lenovo help mobile app) is: *removed*. The carrier is Orange

Up until now I haven't received any notification to update the Android version from the device. When navigating in the phone to Settings -> About Phone -> Systems updates I get the following message: "Your device's software is up to date."

Upon reading through the forum posts I haven't found a solution to update my phone to the latest Android version available for my device.

Can you please help ?

Regards,

Augustin

Edited: for privacy - Rich

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 268
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moto Z Play (Model XT1635-03) won't update from Android version 6.0.1

Hi Augustin,

Thank you for posting. I'd like to make sure, did you buy the phone in China and using it in your country? That's one possible factor why you're not receiving an update.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

AugustinMoto
Punch Card
Views: 247
Message 3 of 8

Hi Rich,

thank you for your fast follow-up. It's appreciated.

I bought my phone from Romania, from a local known retailer. It was sealed.

Let me know what additional information I can supply so we can further look into this.

Best Regards,

Augustin

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 230
Message 4 of 8

Hi AugustinMoto,

Thank you for confirming. Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Highlighted
AugustinMoto
Punch Card
Views: 195
Message 5 of 8

Hi Rich,

I've updated my profile. I'm unable / haven't found how to store both IMEI and Serial Number in my profile.  (As a side note, I've tried registering the product on https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/registration/action/forums# however I receive the following message: "Unable to retrieve device information. Please confirm your IMEI/MEID or serial number and try again." regardless of trying to register the phone by IMEI or Serial Number.)

I've also updated the Motorola Privacy settings and it would be really great if you could have a look at the apps to determine the source of the problem.

Let me know in case I need to supply additional information.

Thanks for your help Rich.

Best Regards,

Augustin

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 156
Message 6 of 8

Hi AugustinMoto,

Thank you for updating your profile. We have checked this and your device 's software is indeed outdated. When the device is outside the country where it's built, you might not get an update. It's the case in which why you're not receiving an update. I would recommend trying the Lenovo Smart Assistant, but we can't guarantee that the tool will be able to push an update. Here's the link to the tool https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291

Let me know if that helps. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

AugustinMoto
Punch Card
Views: 126
Message 7 of 8

Hi Rich,

thank you for checking and for directing me towards Lenovo Smart Assistant. 

I've installed the tool, however unfortunately I'm unable to update the software as I get the "Device not recognized" error. Smiley Sad

Upon further researching on the topic I've found out that the "retcn" Software Channel on my device is specific to the Chinese version. Since I bought the device from Europe I would have expected to run on the "reteu" Software Channel. I didn't knew all these aspects at the time I bought the device. 

Are there any other options we could look at to resolve the problem ?

Thank you very much for all your support so far !

Best Regards,

Augustin

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 99
Message 8 of 8

Hi Augustin, 

Thanks for trying, it looks it's due to the software build of the phone. As I mentioned, we can't guarantee that the tool will fix this. I can't think of any ways for us to correct the software build but sending the phone for repair to manually flash the phone.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors