Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HeidiDee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 887
Message 1 of 8

Moto Z Play not answering (some) incoming calls- showing connected

I have been having this issue over the past month or two. Not happening with every call, but for certain callers on my favorites, it seems to happen more often, including with my husband and mom/in-laws. I will receive incoming call notification with option to answer or ignore, and upon pressing answer, it appears as though the call connects. The call timer begins counting, but there is no one on the line. On the caller's end, when this happens, the line just continues ringing and does not go to voicemail.

Additionally, I have noted that this is tending to happen when incoming call appears while screen is in use, rather than from lock screen. There seem to be two different incoming call screenpops- one that shows up full screen when phone is locked, with option to swipe up to answer, and the second is a quarter-screen at top of device with option to answer or ignore (press, not swipe). I notice the issue moreso from the second type (while phone is otherwise in use).

Back in November, I performed a factory reset whilst tryingto troubleshoot a separate calling issue- where I was not able to answer any calls at all- and it turned out that my notifications had been disabled for all incoming calls. This had been preventing me from picking up a ringing call as there was no notice that a call had even come in. Only after the missed call or voicemail alert was I able to see who had called... So, after that problem, and subsequent reset of all my phone data, I am not in a hurry to go that route again.

Can anyone with similar issue reply with a fix or suggestion?  I have reset app preferences to default, but cannot at the moment replicate the problem. IveIhad the phone a good two years, and this is only recently occurring.

I'm including a pic of the incoming call screenpop that this is tending to happen with.

Thanks for any assistance!

Moto Z Play, Android 8.0.0

Moto Z Play, Android 8.0
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 818
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moto Z Play not answering (some) incoming calls- showing connected

Hi HeidiDee,

Thanks for posting. This is odd. Can you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here.  Also, please confirm the carrier of your husband and mother-in-law. Have you tried removing them from your favorites? What happened? Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 815
Message 3 of 8

@HeidiDee,

When the issue persists, please send me a BUG report so we can further check this. This will help us investigate. Thanks.

BUG REPORT FOR NORMAL ISSUE:
Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Highlighted
HeidiDee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 802
Message 4 of 8

Thanks so much, Rich! I have updated the phone/carrier and SN on my profile,but am not sure what you mean about turning on privacy options. Do you mean sharing with all/friends/no one?

My husband is on same carrier as I am- Verizon prepaid. My mom-in-law is a combo of landline and (I believe) Straight Talk. Incidentally, this has happened with calls from my own mom's landline, as well as an expected callback yesterday from a business (landline also). So it's not restricted to mobile users and/or favorites calling me. I will try removing them from favorites and testing; however the issue is not with every call. It's getting annoying to the point where I've warned my regular callers that if I don't answer and it hasn't gone to voicemail, hang up so I can call them right back. (Because in most cases I am trying to answer their call on my end, unsuccessfully!)
Moto Z Play, Android 8.0
HeidiDee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 793
Message 5 of 8

Hi again, I have enabled the Developer options on my device, and am enabling bug reporting at this time. Motorola Privacy options are on and I will run a bug report the next time this happens. You have my permission to review my apps to see if they are the source. Again, thank you so much! Hoping we can get this resolved... Smiley Happy
Moto Z Play, Android 8.0
HeidiDee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 713
Message 6 of 8

Hi Rich,

I have finally managed to capture a bug report immediately following an incident. Here is a link to the report:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1chnMFmSM_QXUYGyDMSLodMnZwr4vJquT

I was engaged in an app (Noom- a food journal) when an incoming call came in from a number I recognized as a local business. I attempted to answer but the call never connected. There was no sound on the line, yet the counter began as though the call was in progress. The caller was not in my contacts or favorites, and it was a landline. The call came in at approximately 3:30 PM PST.

I am hoping that this bug report might help isolate the cause of this problem. Please let me know if you're able to make heads or tails of it!

Thanks,

Heidi

Moto Z Play, Android 8.0
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 665
Message 7 of 8

Hi HeidiDee,

Thanks for the BUG report, I have discussed this with the team. I'll keep you updated here and let us know too if you come across with anything. I'll let you know if we need further information. Thank you. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Kesagami
Paper Tape
Views: 464
Message 8 of 8

I am having this issue  tooI tap the 'answer' button and it disappears but the phone keeps ringing

Top Kudoed Authors