Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George_S1
Paper Tape
Views: 8,933
Message 1 of 20

Moto Z play doesn't recognize USB connection

My moto z play doesn't recognize that it is connected via usb-c to a computer.

I have tried multiple data usb c cables and multiple laptops/desktops. It's doing nothing (neither charging nor making connection for file transfers).

I did some reading on this forum and tried the 'sweeping down' thing (in which case I do not have any usb pop-up. I also tried the tap 7 times --> 'developer options' --> switch usb debugging to 'on'. The latter doesn't change a thing. It is as my cellphone doesn't recognize that it is connected via the usb port.

The usb port does however work (e.g. it charges with the moto turbo charger). Also, it has nothing to do with the usb ports on my computers (which are working fine with other devices). Problem is my moto z play device.

Anyone?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,789
Message 2 of 20

Re: Moto Z play doesn't recognize USB connection

@George_S1 wrote:

My moto z play doesn't recognize that it is connected via usb-c to a computer.

I have tried multiple data usb c cables and multiple laptops/desktops. It's doing nothing (neither charging nor making connection for file transfers).

I did some reading on this forum and tried the 'sweeping down' thing (in which case I do not have any usb pop-up. I also tried the tap 7 times --> 'developer options' --> switch usb debugging to 'on'. The latter doesn't change a thing. It is as my cellphone doesn't recognize that it is connected via the usb port.

The usb port does however work (e.g. it charges with the moto turbo charger). Also, it has nothing to do with the usb ports on my computers (which are working fine with other devices). Problem is my moto z play device.

Anyone?

Charging off a charger and USB port use different wires. If your phone is not charging at all off a USB port, then it sounds like something in the phone at first guess. 

With the phone plugged into computer, does device manager show an "adb device" or any "unknown device" that could be the phone?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 8,784
Message 3 of 20

Just tried connecting my Z2 Play to a Lenovo T470s using the USB C to USB A cable that comes with the charger that shipped with the Z2 Play...

No issues at all...so it could be your computer, or your cable. The Lenovo stuff works. I can't speak for 3rd party equipment.

My computer saw the connection. My phone, after swiping down to see all notifications after plugging in and logging into the phone, clearly showed the option to allow data transfer. This is what I saw...

Screenshot_20180124-083212.png

George_S1
Paper Tape
Views: 8,743
Message 4 of 20

No. Still not working. And no afbeelding of unknown devices detected.

The problem definitely is with my cell phone's settings. Ik just don't know how you resolve it. Very anoying...
Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 8,736
Message 5 of 20

I'd say the problem is your cable or computer, not the Z2 Play. Did you try the cable that shipped with the phone? What computer machine type and model are you using, and with what OS? 

George_S1
Paper Tape
Views: 8,734
Message 6 of 20

Again:
It is not my computer. I tried with a Dell, Lenovo and Toshiba.

It is not the hardware. My moto USB port fors work. E.g. with my charger. It is not the USB cable. In tried multiple cables.

It is my moto z play that is the problem. It's very anoying that it doesn't work and that Lenovo doesn't seem to have the answer. It shouldn 't be complicated. We are talking about a f* phone.
George_S1
Paper Tape
Views: 8,733
Message 7 of 20

My computers all have Windows 10.

No i did not use the cable that Came with my phone as there was none. I bought multiple regular usbc data cables.
Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 8,720
Message 8 of 20

There is a USB-C cable that comes with the Z2 Play ship group...the one that came with the charger.

Test with that. USB-C cables may come in all flavors...some with resistors...some without...some Thunderbolt rated...(most not TB rated though)...with variations of quality and configuration, you need a "control" for test purposes to isolate the failing component...and for control purposes in this case, one element is the cable that shipped with the phone itself.

Also, test with your phone in safe mode, just in case it is an app that is interfering with notifications...you need to hit the notification to change from charging to data transfer. If something you are running is blocking that, you just won't see it. That would be a software issue...not a phone or stock Android 7.1.1 issue.

I'm assuming you have a factory Z2 Play that shipped new from Lenovo/Motorola. If you are missing parts...well, that doesn't sound like a new phone....

Like my previous post said...with a regular Z2 Play, factory Android 7.1.1 image, Lenovo USB-C cable...everything works. (I showed you the screen shot in the post...)

George_S1
Paper Tape
Views: 8,716
Message 9 of 20

Please stop telling that it does work, or should work, because it doesn't.

It's a z play. Not z 2 play. Again, there was no usbc cable that Came with it. Therefore, please stop telling that there was. There wasn't.

Ik purchased a new device in a regular shop. Therefore, please stop telling that i bought something 2nd hand. It's just not helpful to keep repeating that Lenovo is great and that it does work. It's clearly not.

Again, the problem is the moto software/settings/something moto. I ruled out the other possible issues via the elimination test. It's nothing you do with the hardware, with the cable or the laptops.
George_S1
Paper Tape
Views: 8,716
Message 10 of 20

To do (not you do). Sorry
Top Kudoed Authors