Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,733
Message 11 of 20

Re: Moto Z play doesn't recognize USB connection

You do realize you posted this in the Z2 Play forum, correct? Which is why I thought you had a Z2 Play...

The Z Play forum is at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-Play/bd-p/Moto_Z_Play

George_S1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,729
Message 12 of 20

Z/z2... More or less the same phone.

Anyway that doesn't resolve the problem.

Any help is appreciated.
Mike281
What's DOS?
Views: 1,682
Message 13 of 20

Hi George_S1,

seems like I'm having the same problem, please share if you have found the solution.
RED-iDrifter
Paper Tape
Views: 1,596
Message 14 of 20

Hey I was wondering if you ever got this problem resolved? I purchased my Moto Z play from Best Buy and like you it did not come with a data cable it only came with a charge cable that is wired directly to the power inverter wall plug. Just like you no data cable came with it and that was purchased from Best Buy. I just want to watch my videos on my TV through my USB-C cord and media player. Nothing seems to work
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,581
Message 15 of 20

@RED-iDrifterwrote:
Hey I was wondering if you ever got this problem resolved? I purchased my Moto Z play from Best Buy and like you it did not come with a data cable it only came with a charge cable that is wired directly to the power inverter wall plug. Just like you no data cable came with it and that was purchased from Best Buy. I just want to watch my videos on my TV through my USB-C cord and media player. Nothing seems to work

Media player on phone or tv? The only way to cast videos from phone to tv is using google chromecast. 

If your tv has a media player and will play videos stored on a usb stick, you might be able to mount your phone as a mass storage device so the tv thinks it is a usb stick, and play a video stored on your phone. I would just put videos on my usb stick in that case though. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
George_S1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,557
Message 16 of 20

Hi, i purchased 3 cables. None worked. Statistically, inexpected the problem to be 100pct sure the cellphone. Which is why i got upset about it here. One other day, i tried the cable of a colleague which just worked fine... Unbelievable.

I am a happy moto customer again.

kretch
Paper Tape
Views: 242
Message 17 of 20

Can anyone tell me the specification of the USB cable that will connect ?

I have been told to use the cable supplied with the phone but have missplaced it?

there must be a requirement to match to as to buy a replacement.

I have treid all over to get a Moto Z usb cord but it like pulling teeth!!

@George_S1 wrote:

My moto z play doesn't recognize that it is connected via usb-c to a computer.

I have tried multiple data usb c cables and multiple laptops/desktops. It's doing nothing (neither charging nor making connection for file transfers).

I did some reading on this forum and tried the 'sweeping down' thing (in which case I do not have any usb pop-up. I also tried the tap 7 times --> 'developer options' --> switch usb debugging to 'on'. The latter doesn't change a thing. It is as my cellphone doesn't recognize that it is connected via the usb port.

The usb port does however work (e.g. it charges with the moto turbo charger). Also, it has nothing to do with the usb ports on my computers (which are working fine with other devices). Problem is my moto z play device.

Anyone?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 237
Message 18 of 20

@kretch wrote:

Can anyone tell me the specification of the USB cable that will connect ?

I have been told to use the cable supplied with the phone but have missplaced it?

there must be a requirement to match to as to buy a replacement.

I have treid all over to get a Moto Z usb cord but it like pulling teeth!!

@George_S1

I bought some well rated usb-c to regular USB cables and usb-c to usb-c - from amazon. All work fine for me. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Knighthauk
Paper Tape
Views: 105
Message 19 of 20

Moto Z & Windows 10
I have exactly the same problem on My Moto Z.
When I plug-in the cable to the computer, the phone appears in Explorer but without access to files (as is normal).
I tap the USB settings on the phone and choose file transfer.
Each and every time, the phone icon dissapears from File Explorer immediatley.

I will note that there was a very large system update for Windows 10 - 2 weeks ago.

What is more incredible is the timing. I have NEVER had a problem with this before, with theis phone, EVER.
I transfer photos ALL the time.
I have an upgrade for the phone (Z4) and need to backup photos to the computer.
I'm waiting to fix this before I can upgrade.
The timing is insane.

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 103
Message 20 of 20

@Knighthauk wrote:

Moto Z & Windows 10
I have exactly the same problem on My Moto Z.
When I plug-in the cable to the computer, the phone appears in Explorer but without access to files (as is normal).
I tap the USB settings on the phone and choose file transfer.
Each and every time, the phone icon dissapears from File Explorer immediatley.

I will note that there was a very large system update for Windows 10 - 2 weeks ago.

What is more incredible is the timing. I have NEVER had a problem with this before, with theis phone, EVER.
I transfer photos ALL the time.
I have an upgrade for the phone (Z4) and need to backup photos to the computer.
I'm waiting to fix this before I can upgrade.
The timing is insane.

It's not an ideal solution but what about backing up to Google Drive or Google Photos from your phone and then downloading to your laptop?

~Scott
Top Kudoed Authors