Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SjLeonardo
Punch Card
Views: 19,962
Message 1 of 98

Moto Z² stuck on boot screen

I have no idea why it happened. I was listening to some music, doing a couple of things. It had about 25-30% of battery left. I had to do something else, and when I came back, less than 30 seconds later, the screen was off and it wouldn't turn on, it had turned itself off. So I held down the power button a bit so it would turn on, and now it's been stuck on the boot screen for almost 2 hours.

I just got home and since I don't know what to do, I just left it charging so it won't run out of battery.

AA91DAEC-25CB-4199-BDC2-63929935684C.png

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 19,869
Message 2 of 98

Re: Moto Z² stuck on boot screen

If you have a microSD card installed in the phone, remove it. Do a hard reset by holding down the power button. Leave the microSD card out, see how the phone behaves...assuming you did not format the microSD card as internal storage...if you did, factory reset the phone, and still keep the microSD card OUT of the phone.

Also, for now, leave it out of that case. Make sure the case is not holding down any buttons.

SjLeonardo
Punch Card
Views: 19,856
Message 3 of 98

Yup, it was just the case... Weirdly I've had for a couple months and only now this happened. Sorry for wasting your time and thank you.
Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 19,827
Message 4 of 98

Not a problem or waste of time at all...your post may help others with the same issue.

Also, the picture you took was VERY useful...in fact, without it, I probably would not have suggested removing the case. That was critical for problem determination.

richprof
Paper Tape
Views: 15,228
Message 5 of 98

DEAD Moto z2 after spontaneous restarts

I was having the spontaneous "shut down, restart" issue that so many have posted about, but yesterday it came to a tragic end. On one of those restarts, my Moto z2 rebooted up to the point where the annoying "Hello Moto" audio plays, then it went into a continuous LOOP of that audio. On chat with my service provider, we did a factory reset, after which it worked for a few hours, then repeated the LOOP. After that factory reset (which wiped all apps from the phone), the phone will not reboot beyond the loop.

I'm still making payments for a phone that is less than two years old and dead. Any ideas?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 15,209
Message 6 of 98

Re: DEAD Moto z2 after spontaneous restarts

@richprof wrote:

I was having the spontaneous "shut down, restart" issue that so many have posted about, but yesterday it came to a tragic end. On one of those restarts, my Moto z2 rebooted up to the point where the annoying "Hello Moto" audio plays, then it went into a continuous LOOP of that audio. On chat with my service provider, we did a factory reset, after which it worked for a few hours, then repeated the LOOP. After that factory reset (which wiped all apps from the phone), the phone will not reboot beyond the loop.

I'm still making payments for a phone that is less than two years old and dead. Any ideas?

If a factory reset didnt fix it, you can try the lenovo moto smart assistant. If that fails, service would be the next step

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht117028

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
richprof
Paper Tape
Views: 15,196
Message 7 of 98

Thanks, AD. Unfortunately, the LMSA needs the phone in USB support mode, and my phone will not even power up. I've sent an email to support, hoping to get some direction on where to send it. Thanks again for your response.

Dnschultz
Paper Tape
Views: 15,182
Message 8 of 98

I'm also having same issue. My phone is not even a month old and it's dead/stuck in boot up screen. I took it into a Verizon store and they said it's the 5th one today.  Looks like it was a forced update that is causing the problem. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 15,177
Message 9 of 98

@Dnschultz wrote:

I'm also having same issue. My phone is not even a month old and it's dead/stuck in boot up screen. I took it into a Verizon store and they said it's the 5th one today.  Looks like it was a forced update that is causing the problem. 

No one has mentioned an update preceding this - at least not the last few posts. Any update i have received, i had to choose to accept. I have never seen one forced. 

I just took an update that went fine. 

Were you having a shutdown restart issue as the OP was having? I haven't seen this on my Verizon Z2 play.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
richprof
Paper Tape
Views: 15,178
Message 10 of 98

Interestingly, I got a notification about the update to 8.0 just before the boot failure occurred. I was having the spontaneous restarts before that, but not the looping reboot failure.

Top Kudoed Authors