cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daddyslap
Paper Tape
Views: 759
Message 81 of 98

Re: Moto Z2 Play 8.0 Update - Phone is now dead and won't charge.

I just had a less than stellar conversation via web chat with customer service; They basically told me that since the phone is out of warranty that they will not do anything.

So Motorola forces an update to my phone and bricks it, and I get to buy a new one. I'm not happy, and unless this gets fixed, I won't be buying Motorola products ever again.

britt1215
Paper Tape
Views: 859
Message 82 of 98

Re: Moto Z² stuck on boot screen

Tom, 

I just got my replacement phone from Verizon.

It's acting ok right now. Is there anything I should or shouldn't do with it?

It immediately said a software update was available but that's what caused my problem the last time!!

The Verizon security app that you've been talking about, is it called "safely Security & Privacy"? Should I make sure it is turned off?

RickDroidTurbo2
Punch Card
Views: 917
Message 83 of 98

YES!  That appears to be the culprit!

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 904
Message 84 of 98

@britt1215 wrote:

Tom, 

I just got my replacement phone from Verizon.

It's acting ok right now. Is there anything I should or shouldn't do with it?

It immediately said a software update was available but that's what caused my problem the last time!!

The Verizon security app that you've been talking about, is it called "safely Security & Privacy"? Should I make sure it is turned off?

Glad your replacement is working correctly. As for what is causing the issue. At this point, we believe it was an update to the Verizon Security & Privacy app that was partially causing the issue. From what I understand we had them turn off the update via the Playstore for the app, so you shouldn't get the version that is causing an issue. As for the system update, you should be ok to update to Oreo. 

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
britt1215
Paper Tape
Views: 903
Message 85 of 98

thanks!!
Zayous
Paper Tape
Views: 878
Message 86 of 98

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@Zayous wrote:

I've been having the same issues as everyone else seems to be having, only I have the Moto Z force I'm not sure if that helps, but maybe it can. I just trust they will be able to roll out an update so we don't have to erase all of our personal data.

The problem is there is no way to update OTA when the phone doesn't fully boot up. As of right now, the only solution is to Factory Reset from Recovery or use SUA to repair/recover phone and choose to erase user data. Then make sure you don't update the Verizon Security & Protection app.

-Tom

Now I'm curious, then what exactly does the update helper on the computer do? I just figured it updates the OS, and if they were to roll out an update that fixes the issue wouldn't it also fix our phones?

Matthewkolden
What's DOS?
Views: 823
Message 87 of 98

I can add a little to this topic.

I'm currently on vacation down in Florida. On our flight down here last Saturday I restarted my phone after my son had played some games on it. That's when it first stuck on the blue boot screen. 

After the flight we went to a Verizon store. The gal tried all the bootloader options before determining the phone was defective and they sent me a replacement. So on Tuesday I received the replacement phone (they're both Moto force z2). I restored everything from the cloud. The phone was working fine for an hour or so. As we left to go to dinner I look down and the new phone is stuck on the boot screen just like the last one.

So, we called Verizon. After going through regular tech support I was upgraded to a higher tier. The gentleman was helpful, and showed me how to get in and do the factory reset (which I'm fine doing as everything is already backed up). So we did the reset and when I set the phone up again, I immediately disabled the Verizon security and privacy app. It's been a day and a half now and the phone has not stuck on boot screen again. I have successfully restarted the phone a handful of times.

So in that regard everything is fine. However, somewhat strangely, about six separate occasions now I've pulled the phone out of my pocket to take a picture and it has been off. Completely off. It will boot up successfully, but it's bizarre that it's just in my pocket turned off as I surely never did that.

So, that's my situation. Following this thread closely still.

Motorola Admin
Views: 797
Message 88 of 98

Good afternoon everyone. So here is the latest update. It looks like we have confirmed that the update for the Verizon Security & Protection app was causing an issue. A new version of the app is now on the Playstore so this shouldn't happen again. Unfortunately, if you've already gotten into this state there is no great recovery method. The only thing you can do is factory reset your phone. To reset your phone from this state, please follow the steps below

1. Press and hold Volume Down + Power
  2. At the Fasboot Screen (Android laying on its back), release the buttons
  3. User volume up or down to scroll through options on the right until it says Recovery Mode
  4. Press Power button to select Recovery Mode
  5. At the No Command Screen (Green Android robot laying on it's back)
  6. Press and hold the power button and tap the Volume Up button.
  7. At the Android Recovery screen tap volume down button and highlight Wipe data/factory reset. Tap the power button
  8. Use Volume down to highlight Yes. Tap the power button
  9. Use Volume down to highlight Userdata only. Tap the power button. Once finished it will return to the Android Recovery screen.
  10. Make sure Reboot system now is highlighted and tap the power button
  11. The phone will reboot and take you to the Android Setup Wizard. Go ahead and set your phone up like normal.

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Motorola Admin
Views: 801
Message 89 of 98

@Matthewkolden wrote:

I can add a little to this topic.

I'm currently on vacation down in Florida. On our flight down here last Saturday I restarted my phone after my son had played some games on it. That's when it first stuck on the blue boot screen. 

After the flight we went to a Verizon store. The gal tried all the bootloader options before determining the phone was defective and they sent me a replacement. So on Tuesday I received the replacement phone (they're both Moto force z2). I restored everything from the cloud. The phone was working fine for an hour or so. As we left to go to dinner I look down and the new phone is stuck on the boot screen just like the last one.

So, we called Verizon. After going through regular tech support I was upgraded to a higher tier. The gentleman was helpful, and showed me how to get in and do the factory reset (which I'm fine doing as everything is already backed up). So we did the reset and when I set the phone up again, I immediately disabled the Verizon security and privacy app. It's been a day and a half now and the phone has not stuck on boot screen again. I have successfully restarted the phone a handful of times.

So in that regard everything is fine. However, somewhat strangely, about six separate occasions now I've pulled the phone out of my pocket to take a picture and it has been off. Completely off. It will boot up successfully, but it's bizarre that it's just in my pocket turned off as I surely never did that.

So, that's my situation. Following this thread closely still.

Sounds like you're having a separate issue at this point. I'd recommend posting the new issue in the Z2 Force community (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-Force/bd-p/Moto_Z2_Force). I just don't want it to get lost in this thread as it's a separate issue.

-Tom

Zayous
Paper Tape
Views: 714
Message 90 of 98

After doing everything that I was told to do, I went to recover my data off the google cloud only to find out it thinks it's a totally diffrent phone.

Top Kudoed Authors